C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clucking/knocking left rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 02:05 PM
viktors94
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clucking/knocking left rear wheel

Hi. This will be my first post here.
3 days ago I bought my first corvette, but I've noticed some clunking from the left rear wheel. The clunking occurs at low speeds (maybe because the exhaust isnt so loud at that point), and can be heard when turning, braking and accelerating slowly, doesnt matter if the clutch is in or out either. The best way to describe it would bad end links ( experience from other cars) but they dont seem bad. I replaced the left rear end link with another from my friends 09 c6, which didnt clunk, and the clunking is still there.

Ive tightened all bolts and nuts, including the wheel nut(or hub nut maybe?), I cant feel any movement at all at the wheel when its lifted and wheels not supported. I also lubricated the spindle, couldnt get it out but I sprayed penetrating oil and tried to push it inside using a airgun.

The only thing that I think could cause the clunking is that the hole in the swaybar and controlarm for the end links is much bigger than the actual end link bolts. Probably 3mm play, could this be the problem?

When we installed the johnny O'connel kit on my friends c6 the end links had to be pressed inside the holes, should there be alot of play with the OEM end links?

Thank you, Viktor
Old 05-30-2016, 03:02 PM
Poppa Bud
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

On my 08 the axle nuts were loose. This is under the cap at the center of the wheel.

I replaced the nuts using high temp lock-tite and torqued to 150(?) lb-ft.

The clunk went away for a while but now it's back. You can do a search for a thread about the fix
Old 05-30-2016, 03:17 PM
viktors94
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Poppa Bud
On my 08 the axle nuts were loose. This is under the cap at the center of the wheel.

I replaced the nuts using high temp lock-tite and torqued to 150(?) lb-ft.

The clunk went away for a while but now it's back. You can do a search for a thread about the fix
Yeah Ive searched and found the thread, and I actually removed the nut and applied locktite and torqued them down. Doesnt seem like it solved the problem. Didnt have a torque-wrench for the 1" socket, but I tightened it as hard as I could.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:42 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 146 Posts

Does the car make the sound only when turning? Or does it do it in a straight line as well? My car did it only when turning, and I found that it was the differential fluid needed to be replaced.

Last edited by unclecookie; 05-30-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:43 AM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

being it is in the rear and you hear it at low speeds, that points to a bad wheel bearing.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:03 AM
viktors94
Intermediate

Originally Posted by unclecookie
Does the car make the sound only when turning? Or does it do it in a straight line as well? My car did it only when turning, and I found that it was the differential fluid needed to be replaced.
The differential fluid has been changed 1000km ago, LS dextron or what its called. The sound occurs both in turns and when going straight.

When im turning and going over speed bumps with only one wheel on the bump its clunks, and when going straight it creaks a little instead, both during slow braking and acceleration in low speeds.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:04 AM
viktors94
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C6topless
being it is in the rear and you hear it at low speeds, that points to a bad wheel bearing.
If it was a bad bearing, wouldnt I have some play in the wheel? Also the sound doesnt appear all the time, just a few times per ride.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:34 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by viktors94
If it was a bad bearing, wouldnt I have some play in the wheel? Also the sound doesnt appear all the time, just a few times per ride.
There is usually side to side, or top to bottom play when a bearing is bad, but not always..My best guess would be a bad universal/CV joint, jack up the car, put the car in neutral and turn the wheel by hand to see if it makes noise..There should also be excessive play in the joint if it's bad...WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-01-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:46 AM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Have you tried checking the CV boots? Might have a bad boot or axle.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:25 AM
yojack1
Racer

Just posted up with the same problem. It turns out it is the left axle inboard CV that is starting to fail.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-of-08-c6.html

Get notified of new replies

To Clucking/knocking left rear wheel

Quick Reply: Clucking/knocking left rear wheel