C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you misread the torque specs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Don't think I've ever torqued a thermostat housing bolt.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:00 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Yes, I know. I bear the cross of being an engineer. LOL!
No offense intended there Blind. I'll just say that I have a little engineering prowess also and I do understand where you are coming from.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:49 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Interestingly, when I was a kid "wrencher" and everything was steel and steel bolts, the only time I had a torque wrench in my hands was during open heart engine surgery. With the advent of "everything aluminum" and steel bolts, and different expansion/contraction rates, I now torque everything.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:46 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Interestingly, when I was a kid "wrencher" and everything was steel and steel bolts, the only time I had a torque wrench in my hands was during open heart engine surgery. With the advent of "everything aluminum" and steel bolts, and different expansion/contraction rates, I now torque everything.
Yea....I'm ashamed to say that i'm still old school and bull headed. Hardly ever use a torque wrench unless its a part directly related with safety. Same with a torque sequence. Don't get the book out on those either. A little Engineering "Common Sense" goes a long way on that kind of stuff.

Quick Reply: When you misread the torque specs.