C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 'Base' Front Bumper Cover Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:02 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C6 'Base' Front Bumper Cover Upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade my C6 base front bumper cover. I found a ZR replica here:

http://extremedimensions.com/05-11-Corvette-ZR-FB.html

The question is, these guys say the same bumper cover is used for the base, Z06, GS, etc. It seems to me, the Z06 bumper cover width would be too big for the base C6. Can a Z06 width bumper cover really be used on a base C6? I feel like I've seen other threads talking about all kinds of modifications that would need done to make it fit.

Also, I'm open to seeing other Z06/ZR1 style bumper covers that are available for the base C6. If you have another product suggestion, please let me know.

Last edited by QWKSRT; 05-31-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:09 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

AFAIK these are still available from TKO or American Custom.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...yle-scoop.html

post 13 in here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1581634120

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-c6-sale.html
Old 05-31-2016, 07:58 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RicK T
Thanks. I read through the thread and see it was closed at the ops request plus many months going by without customer pics being posted. I'm a little skeptical. I have a PM to the OP to see if its still being produced.

My question still stands though about Z06 vs. base C6 width and whether its possible it will work.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:35 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

While it is possible to make a wide body front bumper (Z06/GS/ZR1) fit the regular (narrow) fenders, it takes some work and a knowledgeable Corvette person would be able to see the fitment problems. Also, OEM bumpers are very flexible and that is what can make that possible, though not advisable.

An aftermarket bumper is most likely fiberglass and I cannot see how a bumper made of fiberglass can possibly fit both, the narrow body fenders and the wide body fenders. Not flexible enough.

Here is a photo of a forum member's C6 where he did use the OEM Z06 front bumper with the base fenders.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:40 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by QWKSRT
I'm looking to upgrade my C6 base front bumper cover. I found a ZR replica here:

http://extremedimensions.com/05-11-Corvette-ZR-FB.html

The question is, these guys say the same bumper cover is used for the base, Z06, GS, etc. It seems to me, the Z06 bumper cover width would be too big for the base C6. Can a Z06 width bumper cover really be used on a base C6? I feel like I've seen other threads talking about all kinds of modifications that would need done to make it fit.

Also, I'm open to seeing other Z06/ZR1 style bumper covers that are available for the base C6. If you have another product suggestion, please let me know.
FYI - I would just about guarantee you that the photos (in that link you posted) of the YELLOW C6 are actual photos of a real ZR1 instead of the aftermarket bumper that is in the last (primer) photo.

EDIT:

On second look, I was wrong. But it is a wide body.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 05-31-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:43 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
FYI - I would just about guarantee you that the photos (in that link you posted) of the YELLOW C6 are actual photos of a real ZR1 instead of the aftermarket bumper that is in the last (primer) photo.
100% agree. This is the exact reason I've come to the forums for help. I talked to the guy on the phone. He seemed quite confident. The kicker is he is somewhat local (about an hour away) and tells me a complete refund is available if it doesn't fit properly. Just trying to avoid a couple two hour trips.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:47 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by QWKSRT
100% agree. This is the exact reason I've come to the forums for help. I talked to the guy on the phone. He seemed quite confident. The kicker is he is somewhat local (about an hour away) and tells me a complete refund is available if it doesn't fit properly. Just trying to avoid a couple two hour trips.
I edited my previous post. It looks like it might be an aftermarket bumper after all, but it is mated to wide body fenders.

Can't see how it would work with narrow fenders.

I would be more likely to try a real OEM Z06/GS bumper than that one. But like I said previously, it would take some work to make it look 'OK'.

Keep in mind that getting fog lights, grills, and side lights to work with an aftermarket bumper are usually more difficult and sometimes the fit is not great.

I know because I had this aftermarket bumper on my car previously. It is no longer made.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 05-31-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:53 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
I edited my previous post. It looks like it might be an aftermarket bumper after all, but it is mated to wide body fenders.

Can't see how it would work with narrow fenders.

I would be more likely to try a real OEM Z06/GS bumper than that one. But like I said previously, it would take some work to make it look 'OK'.
With the wide body fenders I assume you need wider tires/wheels, etc. and at that point you might as well do the wide Z06 rear too? That is well beyond the scope I had in mind for this project.

Back story..

I used to take this car to the track. Returning it to "street". Needs a new bumper and hood. Figured since I'm replacing the bumper might as well go for an aftermarket Z06 replica bumper cover instead of stock.

Proving to be more of a challenge than I expected.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:56 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

There is a forum vendor that makes a Z06 style bumper (fiberglass) that is made to fit narrow fenders. Also, I saw one forum member 'splice' in the Z06 small center scoop into an OEM regular bumper. It looked good.

Here are some links:

http://store.tkoperformance.com/c6buwiz06sts.html

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...2005-2012.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...available.html

Good luck.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 05-31-2016 at 09:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TKO Performance (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 10:47 AM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

We received a few PM's regarding the bumper and yes, these are still being made.

Shown here with a splitter.
Bumper is the same height as stock so no time being spent at the body shop from bottoming out..
Swap over your lights, grill...etc from your stock bumper.

http://store.tkoperformance.com/c6buwiz06sts.html

Please allow approx. 10 business days

Last edited by TKO Performance; 06-03-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:55 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

stay away from Extreme dimensions and duraflex products, it is complete crap and you will spend more on prep and a body shop to make it look good than buying from a better vendor.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 'Base' Front Bumper Cover Upgrade

Quick Reply: C6 'Base' Front Bumper Cover Upgrade