C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking Noise Coming from Rear of '08 C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 01:01 AM
yojack1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clunking Noise Coming from Rear of '08 C6

Two years ago I had to have my left rear axle replaced because of a cut boot which was seeping grease. Took to a local dealer and they replaced it with a new GM axle. Within a year I started to hear weird noises coming from the back but didn't pay much attention to it thinking it might be the exhaust or end links. Recently it has gotten to the point that I need to figure out exactly what is causing the noise. The dealer mentioned the end links on the sway bars so we replaced but the noise was still there. We wondered if it could be the rear axle that they replaced earlier. The dealer assured us it wasn't the axle.

Driving at speed on the highway or slow speeds up a slight grade there would be no noise. But driving down the same hill with rough payment and not touching the gas pedal (coasting) the clunking sounds would return. It sounds like when there is no torque on the axle the clunking sounds return. On my own, I lifted the car, released the hand brake and put it in neutral and rotated the wheel back and forth to listen for the sound and heard it coming directly from the inboard cv joint and rubber boot.

I decided to just go ahead and replace both axles and wheel bearings at the same time, doing the work myself.

Now that I have the axle out and on the work bench, I notice that the inboard cv joint had a very loose and shaky feeling that clunks when you rotate it back and forth. In comparison the new axle is solid and has no clunking sound. I haven't reinstalled them yet but I'm pretty sure that this should solve the clunking noise at the back.

My question is: Does anybody know if the rubber boots on both ends of the axles are all made in Canada? The reason I ask this is that the clunking noise comes from the end of the axle that has the boot made in Japan while at the other end of the axle the boot is made in Canada. All the boots on the new axles (GM Parts) are made in Canada.

I'm wondering if this is a rebuilt axle with a replacement boot or is it possible that GM builds their axles with boots from different countries?

Anyone have any knowledge of these boots and why an axle could go out so quickly (less than 20,000 miles)?
Old 06-01-2016, 01:07 PM
yojack1
Racer

The bad axle with the Japanese Rubber boot is on top and the brand new GM axle is on the bottom.

You'll notice that the housing is much larger and sloppy compared to the new GM piece.

Is this normal or do you think there are different style axles for the C6?

Old 06-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I went with C5 axles on my C6. Way cheaper and fit just fine. When I removed the original axles, they felt very loose.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:44 AM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by yojack1
The bad axle with the Japanese Rubber boot is on top and the brand new GM axle is on the bottom.

You'll notice that the housing is much larger and sloppy compared to the new GM piece.

Is this normal or do you think there are different style axles for the C6?

My car has the same thing but in nuetral also? Did urs
Old 03-21-2017, 12:53 AM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by CammedC6520
My car has the same thing but in nuetral also? Did urs
If your car is making noise when it is not moving (in neutral) , it has nothing to do with axles, hubs or the diff.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:48 AM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
If your car is making noise when it is not moving (in neutral) , it has nothing to do with axles, hubs or the diff.
It does it moving to though, maybe I have two problems
Old 03-21-2017, 03:23 PM
yojack1
Racer

It does it moving to though, maybe I have two problems
I've replaced both rear axles, both rear wheel bearings, all new end links on the sway bar. I even disconnected the rear shocks and drove the car and the clanking is still there! I've given up and I'm just learning to live with the noise.
The following users liked this post:
CammedC6520 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 03:29 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

I've replaced both rear axles, both rear wheel bearings, all new end links on the sway bar. I even disconnected the rear shocks and drove the car and the clanking is still there! I've given up and I'm just learning to live with the noise.
I'm just worried if it's bad for the car
Old 03-21-2017, 03:30 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

When I replaced my axles they were OEM and were like the smaller ones.

One suggestion is to remove the front end links and test for noise. Seems the noise from the front end links travels and sounds like it is in the rear. LG Motorsports removed my rear ones first with no results. Then removed the front ones and the noise in the back stooped. Put on new front end links.

Easy to check and it is free.
The following users liked this post:
CammedC6520 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 03:35 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by wayback
When I replaced my axles they were OEM and were like the smaller ones.

One suggestion is to remove the front end links and test for noise. Seems the noise from the front end links travels and sounds like it is in the rear. LG Motorsports removed my rear ones first with no results. Then removed the front ones and the noise in the back stooped. Put on new front end links.

Easy to check and it is free.
Ok thanks man, I'll check it all and I'm taking it to Richie tomorrow at Abel Chevrolet to make sure.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:35 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

I'd still keep investigating. Inspect the control arm bushings and if you have a Z51 package make sure the extra stabilizer link is not worn out and is lubricated. There is a grease fitting located near the wheel. Grab on to any suspension part that moves and shake them firmly to try and find any play. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by CadVette:
CammedC6520 (03-21-2017), Euthymicone (09-19-2018)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:06 AM
yojack1
Racer

Ok thanks man, I'll check it all and I'm taking it to Richie tomorrow at Abel Chevrolet to make sure.
We also took our car to Abel and Jim went out for a test ride and we couldn't figure out the problem even after complaining a few times. If you find out the problem, just let me know. Your right, sure it can't be good just not sure what else to do other than replace the Magnetic Shocks which may or may not be the problem.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:23 AM
CammedC6520
Drifting

We also took our car to Abel and Jim went out for a test ride and we couldn't figure out the problem even after complaining a few times. If you find out the problem, just let me know. Your right, sure it can't be good just not sure what else to do other than replace the Magnetic Shocks which may or may not be the problem.
Nah I don't think so, I have Coil overs. I was told it was my aluminum flywheel by the second owner of the car. But he also told me it could be somthing in the TT, I forgot what it's called. Maybe he said a bearing idk for sure.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:53 PM
darknit
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

yojack1... Got any recent pictures of current side skirt/rear fenders that you are running ?
Old 04-12-2017, 12:13 PM
yojack1
Racer

Originally Posted by darknit
yojack1... Got any recent pictures of current side skirt/rear fenders that you are running ?
Well, this is what it looks like now but it's always changing. Spending a lot of time doing different vinyl graphics.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:41 PM
darknit
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Looks AWESOME

I wanted to see how smooth your side skirt to rear fenders turned out and it looks awesome! I want to do something similair and blend into the C06 rears instead of just putting zr1 skirts on like most do.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:07 PM
Danielle Keyes
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default photos

(Unrelated) I took a few pictures of 83 team yojack car the other day on my road trip. I was looking up on fb no luck. Email me and I will send them your way. Danielle.keyes1984@gmail.com

Get notified of new replies

To Clunking Noise Coming from Rear of '08 C6

Quick Reply: Clunking Noise Coming from Rear of '08 C6