C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking Pucks...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 04:31 PM
AssTyme
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Jacking Pucks...

Why is there no mention of using jacking pucks to lift the vehicle in the owners manual ?

This seems like the preferred way, no ?
Old 06-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by AssTyme
Why is there no mention of using jacking pucks to lift the vehicle in the owners manual ?

The lifting points identified in the Owner's Manual (at least in mine) are all at chassis points, which are the preferred lifting points. Pucks are used at the lifting points under the side frame rails & are required to provide spacing so that the jack or lift pads do not contact & damage the rocker panels. Avoiding that damage is probably why the manual does not list the side rails as lifting points.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:29 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Because the cars came with runflats and no jack, there was no need to identify how to jack up individual portions and therefore mention things like pucks. The lift points are for whole car lifts and/or front and rear.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:40 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Because the cars came with runflats and no jack, there was no need to identify how to jack up individual portions and therefore mention things like pucks. The lift points are for whole car lifts and/or front and rear.
Agree completely. Most floor jacks purchased from places like Harbor Freight will function the same way as pucks. I have a four post lift, so when I need to get wheels off when on the lift, I use two HF floor jacks on the frame positions. No contact with rocker panels are ever made.

No offense to those selling them, but the pucks are kind of a gimmick.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:51 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Dealers and other shops that need to lift the car mat not be as careful as the owner so having those pucks in place at the dealer will save the rockers.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:28 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by EVRose
Dealers and other shops that need to lift the car mat not be as careful as the owner so having those pucks in place at the dealer will save the rockers.
If the dealer has the 2-post lifts with the rotating pads, they can easily gouge and or crack the rockers if they don't pay attention. Mine got gouged at a dealer, so I'm a registered victim.

BTW, most of the Discount Tire stores around here use a long flat lift so they don't have to find lift points. If you have pucks, they will contact the lift prior to the rocker panel.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:49 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

I concede on the two post shop lifts. I can see where they'd be useful in that situation. Home DIYers using them with most floor jacks really don't need them. The fiberglass cutout clearance around the frame rail lifting points is generous.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:39 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default this

Originally Posted by AssTyme

just use the factory J 43625 jacking pucks shown in the factory service manual at the correct lift points shown on pages 0-24 to 0-25 in the manual and you should not have any trouble.you cant really expect to find much in any owners manual.the factory jacking pucks are quite inexpensive

Last edited by irok; 06-05-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking Pucks...

Quick Reply: Jacking Pucks...