C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake replacement ?

Capitol Chev in Keizer told me I have 31% left on my front pads; 80% on the rear pads. If I were to replace the front pads, do I replace the rears.......because I do not know if the rears are "normal"---ceramic or ???? Can I mix?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:35 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

Just replace the fronts. I cannot recall ever having front and rear brakes done at the same time. The fronts do most of the work anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Jayhawk62 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:25 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 458 Likes on 232 Posts

Generally you replace the rears every other time.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:56 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayhawk62
Capitol Chev in Keizer told me I have 31% left on my front pads; 80% on the rear pads. If I were to replace the front pads, do I replace the rears.......because I do not know if the rears are "normal"---ceramic or ???? Can I mix?

At F31%/R at 80%, your brake fluid in the system was due for a power flush and air bleed out of the lines a long time again. Yes, the fronts will wear out at a slightly faster rate, but should not be that much of a faster rate instead.

As for just replacing the front pads now, replace them with the same pads the the set has to maintain your braking Bias (one the system is flushed with new fluid and the air bleed out of the lines).

If you want to go to a different type pads (say Duralast ceramic pads since they are very inexpensive on a Base model) then change all the pads on the car to them.

As for rotors, you may still have enough metal on them to be able to be turned (or at least cleaned up with both surfaces squared to each other.

Now the bad news, if you have the dealer do the brake job, then are going to replace the rotors with new, and install A/C Delco pads. The price for such is going to be just short of $1K, while if you just need to have the rotors turned and pick up say the Duralast ceramic pads, your into the project for about $125 isntead (including brake fluid to power flush the system and breed the air out of the lines when your do as well).

If such is beyond your talent level, then check around with other local Vet owners, and someone may be able to give you a hand since it only about a hour job.

Last edited by Dano523; 06-08-2016 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Jayhawk62
How many miles on the car? if you have 80% left in rear you can just change the fronts on a street car you will not notice any difference. I would get a replacement rotor and new pads for the front and be done. I would not waste time trying to turn the rotors. Get a set of Centric premium rotors and a set of pad you prefer I prefer the Carbotech 1521 pads for the street.

Low dust stops like OEM if not better and last longer. 100% non-corrosive dust will not harm your paint or wheels.
If interested let me know I will be happy to help you.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

F:1521 $140.00

Look to amazon or rock auto for the rotors they should be in th $45-$50 range.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Get notified of new replies

To Brake replacement ?

Quick Reply: Brake replacement ?