C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio screen blank??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Radio screen blank??

Hi
I have a 2007 vert w/nav and today when l turned my radio on l was able to hear the music both radio and DVDs but the screen is blank.

I am able to scan on the radio change the volume..
The nav nothing happens.
Any ideas? The screen itself seems to be a total blank.

Thanks

Alan
Old 06-09-2016, 09:47 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

If you haven't already tried rebooting computer, try it. Disconnect battery for a few minutes & reconnect. Forces computers to reload.
Rebooting solves many mysterious electronic issues w/ C6.

OTOH it isn't unusual for these things to crap-out, requiring replacement, either. Try rebooting before anything else, if it doesn't solve the issue then its off to a dealer/stereo shop.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Search button is your friend.

U.M.

#09-08-44-019: Intermittent Navigation or Radio Screen Blank After Vehicle Starts, Radio Controls May Not Function (Update Radio Audio Software Using Disc) - (Sep 29, 2009)

Subject: Intermittent Navigation or Radio Screen Blank After Vehicle Starts, Radio Controls May Not Function (Update Radio Audio Software Using Disc)

Models: 2007-2009 Chevrolet Corvette

Equipped With Navigation Radio RPO U3U

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that when starting the vehicle, the navigation or radio screen stays blank.

The technician may notice that restarting the vehicle may result in the radio operating properly.

Cause
This condition may be caused by a radio software timing anomaly.

Correction
Important: DO NOT replace the navigation radio for this condition.

Note: Wearing latex gloves is recommended while performing the software update in order to avoid fingerprints on the discs and the radio.

Update the radio audio software with the disc using the following procedure:

Technicians are to contact TAC when this condition exists in order to obtain the initial copy of the radio audio software update disc for their dealer.
1.1. TAC will record all of the necessary case information and send an electronic copy to the Warranty Parts Center (WPC) for the disc.

1.2. The WPC will create the radio audio software update disc request. The first copy of the disc is free. Additional copies of the disc must be purchased.

Note: The update CANNOT be performed with the ignition in the accessory mode.

Turn the ignition ON or start the engine.
Note: After the Corvette logo appears on the radio screen, there is a delay before the radio controls will function. This is a normal condition while the radio comes online.

Press the Eject button at the bottom center of the radio bezel to open the front panel.
Press the DVD button next to the bottom slot to eject the navigation radio map disc. Remove and carefully set aside the map disc.
⇒ If the map disc is not loaded in the radio, you will only hear the DVD eject mechanism operate but a disc will not eject. Wait for the mechanism to stop running before proceeding to the next step.

Note: DO NOT TURN OFF POWER TO THE RADIO WHILE THE SOFTWARE IS LOADING.

Insert the radio audio software update disc into the bottom DVD slot.
Note: THE RADIO DISPLAY WILL TURN OFF WHILE THE SOFTWARE IS LOADING.

WAIT four to five minutes for the software update to complete. WHEN the software update is complete, the radio will reboot and the Corvette logo will appear.
Note: The radio audio software update disc CAN BE reused. DO NOT give the disc to the customer.

Press the DVD button next to the bottom slot to eject the disc. Remove and retain the radio audio software update disc.
Insert the customers navigation radio map disc into the bottom slot. Touch the "I agree" screen button.
The following users liked this post:
Abecka (07-12-2021)
Old 06-11-2016, 11:30 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Default A Miracle

The next morning l started the car and presto everything worked. Should l still bring it to my dealer?

Thanks

Alan
Old 06-11-2016, 11:35 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by kingman
The next morning l started the car and presto everything worked. Should l still bring it to my dealer?

Thanks

Alan
Only if you want to pay a bunch of $$$ to the dealer prematurely. See what happens in the next few weeks.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:18 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by kingman
Excellent, the ghost split.
Wouldn't be concerned until when/if it happens, again.
Which it might.

Check to make sure any/all available updates for radios et al have been done, as suggested above. Again, if units in the process of failing it could do it intermittently so it'll happen again.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

last September this happened on my 07 twice and no music was playing, restarting the car fixed it and it hasn't happened again since then (no Nav on my unit btw)
Old 06-12-2016, 02:53 PM
Yellow95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Happened on my '08Z. Also had the nav forget the time, presets, zone. It lasted on and off for about 2 weeks and then everything was back to normal. No problems for six months now
Old 06-12-2016, 06:33 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Thanks

Two more times and then l will take it in.

What is the approx cost for this?

Alan
Old 06-13-2016, 06:47 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Can't say what it will cost mine was updated while still under warranty.

All they do is order a special DVD from GM and update the systems firmware. Takes minutes to perform however I had to wait 2 weeks for the update DVD to arrive at the dealership. Since I used a Podunk dealership that doesn't see many Vettes they didn't have the update on hand. Your dealership may already have it.

However.... my system HAS blanked out again on 2 occasions even after having the update performed.

U.M.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:19 PM
Abecka
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My screen and sound went out

Today I had my radio on and the screen went haywire and went blank and lost sound.
I have a 2007 c6
Old 07-12-2021, 09:35 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I'd just suggest getting rid of the old out dated system and buying a new after market system that sounds better, are up to date, and offer far more features, you'll be glad you did.
The following 2 users liked this post by madsonp:
Abecka (07-12-2021), dkpnkc (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 10:12 PM
Abecka
3rd Gear

Yeah that's what I did.... After driving 45 miles with no Hair Nation I decided to replace it.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:24 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
I'd just suggest getting rid of the old out dated system and buying a new after market system that sounds better, are up to date, and offer far more features, you'll be glad you did.
Only problem now is finding one. Seems Crutchfield is sold out of darn near everything worth swapping out for.

Thanks COVID.
The following users liked this post:
Abecka (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 12:00 AM
Abecka
3rd Gear

I went to TNT Audio in Victoria TX and they hooked me up. Radio in stock had to order the harnesses to connect to the Bose system and the steering wheel controls. Go next week to have it all installed. I'll let you know what I think about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Radio screen blank??

Quick Reply: Radio screen blank??