C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skip shift smart fuse fix didn't work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 06:34 PM
TexasHiwayman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Skip shift smart fuse fix didn't work.

My check engine light came on. Borrowed a code reader and saw P0803. Installed the fuse after opening it. Cleared error code and started car.
No check engine light.
Had the code checker for next couple of days.

After starting with no light after shutting off, light comes back on when started. Cleared same error every time. A couple of times I got 2 starts before CE light came on. Smart fuse has a diode, correct? Diodes block current 1 way but not the other, correct?. Is this a polarity issue?
Any insight would be welcome.

PS Evil Dead 2 is on. Was thinking of borrowing Bruce's chain saw.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:48 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

A long time ago I had a smart fuse (blown) do what you stated. Flip the fuse around & try again. I think there's 2 diodes or LEDs in there, otherwise you would have to put the fuse in there one specific way (directional, so to speak).

If the LED on the fuse isn't lit up (indicating the fuse is blown as it should be), that's an indication that one of the diode/LEDs is probably bad. In that case, vehicle sees it as an open circuit/no fuse and sets the CEL. Flipping it around should work. If not, blow another smart fuse and try again.

Last edited by jft69z; 06-11-2016 at 07:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TexasHiwayman (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 03:56 PM
TexasHiwayman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jft69z
A long time ago I had a smart fuse (blown) do what you stated. Flip the fuse around & try again. I think there's 2 diodes or LEDs in there, otherwise you would have to put the fuse in there one specific way (directional, so to speak).

If the LED on the fuse isn't lit up (indicating the fuse is blown as it should be), that's an indication that one of the diode/LEDs is probably bad. In that case, vehicle sees it as an open circuit/no fuse and sets the CEL. Flipping it around should work. If not, blow another smart fuse and try again.
Thanks much. I'll give it a try.

Last edited by TexasHiwayman; 06-12-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Another option...buy one of the skip-shift doo-dads that plugs inline under the car at the tranny. Had them in 3 of my Vettes and never had an issue with one. In fact, I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone having issues with them, although these fuse-related methods seems to have issues on occasion
Old 06-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

When you blow a smart fuse, it has two LEDs on it that will only be good for so long. The current through the LED is direction, so as said, if one of the LEDs does go out, you can switch the dirrection of the fuse to work until you burn out the other LED as well.

As for a better solution, you can either make, or buy as Fuse that has a 222 micro resistor (2.2K) soldering in line instead.

Start by reading this to understand how the resistor fuse works,
http://xse.com/leres/z06/cags.html

And if you don't want to make a 2.2K resistor fuse, then you can buy one pre-made instead.

http://complianceparts.com/c6cagstrblshoot.html

And will look like this, and not just a blow smart fuse that some is marking up way in price that you are going to have problems with the LED burning out over time instead,

As for the Plug type device that gets installed back on the trans, it just a 2.2K resistor type device as well. Hence on the C5's, there where other items on the fuse that did not allow you to put the resistor type fuse at the fuse box, and you had to mount the resistor down line at the trans instead. So the trans type plugs will work, but it just make a lot of extra work by having to get under the car to plug the fuse in at the end of line at the trans (when at the fuse box works the same on the C6's).

Last edited by Dano523; 06-12-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:03 AM
Bert,M.
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i installed this 1-4 skip shift eliminator fuse last week on monday and i also had the check engine light pop up with same code p0803. cleared the code, and every time i restarted the car the check engine returned back on the display. errrggggg. but the 1-4 did not show up any more on the dash. so i just decided to just continue to drive it with the check engine light on for awhile and after 2 days it just went off automatically. this was 5 days ago and I've been driving it for the past 5 days. Also rechecked with scanner and i have no code set.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:19 AM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

I spent the $20 on the skip shift eliminator plug for the trans. Love it. Never has an issue. Getting under the car is tricky but since mine was on a lift having a new engine installed care of the selling dealer, I installed the eliminator in about 2 seconds. Find a friend with a lift.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:16 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

I used a smart fuse and blew it on purpose to eliminate cags skip shift...not light after more than a month of use....

Not sure how long the led will work though...

Last edited by hawkgfr; 02-26-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:28 PM
TOM WELCH
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

hp tuners works for this as well
Old 02-27-2019, 02:16 PM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21
Another option...buy one of the skip-shift doo-dads that plugs inline under the car at the tranny. Had them in 3 of my Vettes and never had an issue with one. In fact, I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone having issues with them, although these fuse-related methods seems to have issues on occasion
I put one of those in my 94 Firebird Formula almost as soon as I bought it (new). It worked perfectly for the entire 103,000 miles I put on that car.
My C6 has it turned off in the tune.

Get notified of new replies

To Skip shift smart fuse fix didn't work.

Quick Reply: Skip shift smart fuse fix didn't work.