C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Wax Thread for my C6!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 03:20 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Default New Wax Thread for my C6!!!!

Well, here we go again. I tried a new wax (New to me) just for the fun of it, I have been detailing cars and boats for a long time and have tried many products over the years, including Zaino, Megs, Mothers, Surf City, Pinnacle and others, some really good and some not so much. I have tried expensive waxes (Costing several hundreds of dollars) or more, and some really cheap ones.

What I know for sure is most do good job of shining, some last longer than others, some are harder to work with or take several applications to get the desired result (IE: A lot of work) , some leave white residue where you don't want it and the list goes on.

I also think if you like what you use and are happy with the results, then by all means use it, Like I said, there are lots of really good products out there!!

Now Back to topic at hand, I read a lot about product reviews and follow the car shows, I talk to a lot of other detailers both pro and novices alike and came across a product that I thought might be worth trying, So I purchased a bottle of it and proceeded to apply it to my car, Now bear in mind my car is well cared for and the paint is in great condition, and shines well.

Now after doing about Half the car, I just could not believe the difference the new wax was making, The shine was truly deep and rich, looking like the paint was wet! The color enhancing look was incredible (My car is Lemans Blue......The best Color.....).

This product was exceptionally easy to apply, I just gently wiped it on with a microfiber towel, Let it sit for about a minute then wiped it off with a clean Microfiber towel, This wax does not require any drying time, in fact it does not "Cure" like most waxes, instead it is wiped off almost as soon as you apply it.

It wipes off exceptionally easy requiring very little effort, ( I love that) I did the whole car in less than an hour, This product does not stain plastics, works well on chrome and glass and even smells really nice!

So what is it?

Chemical Guys: Butter Wet Wax.

It truly does live up to its word. For about $20.00 a bottle, I just could not find a down side to it. As far as shine, ease of use and value, this stuff scores a 10 across the board. durability has not been an issue for me since I wax my cars all the time just because I like doing it, so I cant speak to that aspect, though others have told me it holds up as well as most good quality waxes do!!

For those of you willing to try something new, I doubt you will be disappointed with this wax, I know I'm going to buy more of it when my bottle runs out.... (which may take awhile because a little bit seams to go a long way!!)

Last edited by Rogers 07; 06-19-2016 at 03:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rogers 07:
BigMonkey73 (06-21-2016), dmoneychris (06-19-2016), myfunz (06-22-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 03:45 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Currently use Zaino, but always willing to try something new, especially if it's easier to use & the results are as good or better. Where did you get it?
Old 06-19-2016, 03:52 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Thanks for passing the product along to us!
Old 06-19-2016, 05:19 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

May have to give this a try after my pinnacle Souveran is out
Old 06-19-2016, 05:25 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Old 06-19-2016, 05:30 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Welker1
Thanks for sharing. Currently use Zaino, but always willing to try something new, especially if it's easier to use & the results are as good or better. Where did you get it?
I was curious, so I threw it at Amazon & they carry it. Looks like an easy buy/try for under 20 bucks. I have some Pinnacle Signature series already which seems like it will never run out... I'd like to give the 'Butter Wet Wax' a shot though, just for the heck of it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited by dmoneychris; 06-19-2016 at 05:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Welker1 (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 06:15 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

The surface prep to remove the paint defects is the key to a good finish. Only after paint correction should a sealer and then a wax be applied. If no correction you are just waxing over the imperfections on the paint or clear coat surface. Wash, clay, polish, seal and wax. Has worked throughout the years, products may get better but the procedure is still the same. Pinnacle Souveran is the best I have ever used.

Last edited by cmonkey713; 06-19-2016 at 06:17 PM.
dmoneychris (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 06:19 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

One of our venders sells it.

http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guy...r-wet-wax.html
The following 2 users liked this post by 1bdvet:
dmoneychris (06-19-2016), Welker1 (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 06:26 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Does it hide swirl marks on a black c6 ?
Old 06-19-2016, 06:29 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Pics are needed!!!

Curious to the durability and longevity. That'll be the true test.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:41 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rogers 07
Well, here we go again. I tried a new wax (New to me) just for the fun of it, I have been detailing cars and boats for a long time and have tried many products over the years, including Zaino, Megs, Mothers, Surf City, Pinnacle and others, some really good and some not so much. I have tried expensive waxes (Costing several hundreds of dollars) or more, and some really cheap ones.

What I know for sure is most do good job of shining, some last longer than others, some are harder to work with or take several applications to get the desired result (IE: A lot of work) , some leave white residue where you don't want it and the list goes on.

I also think if you like what you use and are happy with the results, then by all means use it, Like I said, there are lots of really good products out there!!

Now Back to topic at hand, I read a lot about product reviews and follow the car shows, I talk to a lot of other detailers both pro and novices alike and came across a product that I thought might be worth trying, So I purchased a bottle of it and proceeded to apply it to my car, Now bear in mind my car is well cared for and the paint is in great condition, and shines well.

Now after doing about Half the car, I just could not believe the difference the new wax was making, The shine was truly deep and rich, looking like the paint was wet! The color enhancing look was incredible (My car is Lemans Blue......The best Color.....).

This product was exceptionally easy to apply, I just gently wiped it on with a microfiber towel, Let it sit for about a minute then wiped it off with a clean Microfiber towel, This wax does not require any drying time, in fact it does not "Cure" like most waxes, instead it is wiped off almost as soon as you apply it.

It wipes off exceptionally easy requiring very little effort, ( I love that) I did the whole car in less than an hour, This product does not stain plastics, works well on chrome and glass and even smells really nice!

So what is it?

Chemical Guys: Butter Wet Wax.

It truly does live up to its word. For about $20.00 a bottle, I just could not find a down side to it. As far as shine, ease of use and value, this stuff scores a 10 across the board. durability has not been an issue for me since I wax my cars all the time just because I like doing it, so I cant speak to that aspect, though others have told me it holds up as well as most good quality waxes do!!

For those of you willing to try something new, I doubt you will be disappointed with this wax, I know I'm going to buy more of it when my bottle runs out.... (which may take awhile because a little bit seams to go a long way!!)

Thanks for sharing, just ordered some on Amazon.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by skar
Does it hide swirl marks on a black c6 ?
Swirl marks need to removed before wax is applied, waxing is the final step in a good detail.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:39 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Swirl marks need to removed before wax is applied, waxing is the final step in a good detail.
Ya I know I tried to remove ....helped some I will take car in to have them wheeled out . Mean time I'll stick with turtle wax black Car polish it hides them. But I like to try this stuff once car is corrected .
Old 06-19-2016, 07:46 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Ya I know I tried to remove ....helped some I will take car in to have them wheeled out . Mean time I'll stick with turtle wax black Car polish it hides them. But I like to try this stuff once car is corrected .
What does "wheeled out" mean?
Old 06-19-2016, 07:58 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by owc6
What does "wheeled out" mean?
Taking car to a paint shop . They have a 90 degree body buffer
With a big buffing polishing wheel on it . If you don't know what you're doing you can screw the paint up big time ( burn through )

I tried a Porter cable Orbital buffer orange and white pads
With different grit polishes. Helped but still there . I'm afraid to go more aggressive . This is where a body shop Comes in .
Telephone quotes $200 to $300 to wheel out .
Old 06-19-2016, 08:12 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Oh, a rotary buffer. I have never heard the term before, but it makes sense.

Random orbital is the safe way to go. I have three different polishers, two single heads and Cyclo dual head. Almost anyone can do a good job. The clear coat on a Corvette is pretty hard.

This is my '05 at 200,000 miles:

Old 06-19-2016, 08:15 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Taking car to a paint shop . They have a 90 degree body buffer
With a big buffing polishing wheel on it . If you don't know what you're doing you can screw the paint up big time ( burn through )

I tried a Porter cable Orbital buffer orange and white pads
With different grit polishes. Helped but still there . I'm afraid to go more aggressive . This is where a body shop Comes in .
Telephone quotes $200 to $300 to wheel out .
That sounds about right.
When I had some parts painted gloss black I had them polish the whole car. Charged me 3 hours of labor at $75 an hour.

That was 2 years ago and my paint looks better now than when I bought it in 07.

Gonna give this butter wax a try.
I bought a gal of their spray wax from Amazon and I like it. Use it like a detail spray and the wax stays fresh.

Get notified of new replies

To New Wax Thread for my C6!!!!

Old 06-19-2016, 08:22 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by owc6
Oh, a rotary buffer. I have never heard the term before, but it makes sense.

Random orbital is the safe way to go. I have three different polishers, two single heads and Cyclo dual head. Almost anyone can do a good job. The clear coat on a Corvette is pretty hard.

This is my '05 at 200,000 miles
Sorry mine is a Random orbital but maybe I should try going more aggressive ? But I think I'll drop car off have it done professionally
Old 06-19-2016, 08:24 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

You need to use other steps/products to remove swirl marks/other imperfections before applying the final wax\sealers. This is especially true with black vehicles which I have owned several, to include my current Camaro.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:29 PM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts
2016 C6 of the Year Finalist

I have tried a lot of the same products also. I like the chemical guys stuff, but also ordered the new formulated ADAMS POLISHES butter wax to try. They say you can use it in direct sunlight.

Price between the two are close.
Rogers 07 (06-23-2016)

Quick Reply: New Wax Thread for my C6!!!!