C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use Plastidip inside clear for top shading?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 08:53 AM
tigtorch
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can I use Plastidip inside clear for top shading?

I have a transparent top on my 2012 GS and in the summer in Atlanta it's a bit too bright and hot for me. I got one of the perforated stick on film shades but it keeps peeling/buckling at the margins and looks like crap.

I had an idea of using flat black Plastidip on the inside. I have seen this question asked before but I have yet to hear from anyone who has actually tried it. Are there any potential serious problems with this idea?
Old 06-20-2016, 09:00 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by tigtorch
I have a transparent top on my 2012 GS and in the summer in Atlanta it's a bit too bright and hot for me. I got one of the perforated stick on film shades but it keeps peeling/buckling at the margins and looks like crap.

I had an idea of using flat black Plastidip on the inside. I have seen this question asked before but I have yet to hear from anyone who has actually tried it. Are there any potential serious problems with this idea?
Why not contact PlastiDip directly? They are very good at replying to questions on their products.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:36 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Seems like a good idea, and I don't see why not but I'd ask the dipyourcar forums or PlastiDip themselves like BWF07 mentioned. Let us know what they say!
Old 06-20-2016, 09:50 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Sounds to permanent to me. I'd still opt for your first choice of some type of static cling substance to put on it. There surely has to be something that will adhere to the top better and won't start peeling on you.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:03 AM
rjearmg
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see why not. I've known individuals who have plasti dipped their wheels and they hold up pretty good. And the wheels go through a lot more rigorous abuse than the glass top of an interior! I would love to see pictures of how this comes out. I absolutely can't stand the glass top in my car for the very reason you described. I ordered the fabric insert for it a few weeks ago but its on back order for an unknown amount of time. This might be a great alternative to get through the wait.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:30 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

I would be concerned that it will cause the top to crack and delaminate- the black coating will trap and hold the heat.

I would think you'd be better off to find a solid top in the parts for sale section, Craig's list etc and if it's not the same color as your car- plasticoat that one to put on the car.

Just my .02 - - -
Old 06-20-2016, 12:35 PM
tigtorch
Instructor

Hey, rjearmg, when you get the fabric top shade please post a short review of it. Is it the type with suction cups? If so I was afraid it would look weird....
Old 06-20-2016, 12:38 PM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Just take it to your local window tint shop and add limo tint film on it. Pblm solved. U can take off anytime
Old 06-20-2016, 12:40 PM
tigtorch
Instructor

My local tint shop won't tint any material other than glass.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:07 PM
TWTX5459
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this padded insulated headliner that uses suctions cups. Works Great!

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...iePRoCWRvw_wcB
Old 06-20-2016, 01:10 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Tinting is a bad idea (so I've heard from multiple tint shops) when attempting to do the plastic transparent roof.

Instead of spraying with plastidip, why not use the suction cup cloth shades? Take it out and store in the trunk when you want the view through the top.

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...XvMhoCqq3w_wcB
Old 06-20-2016, 01:12 PM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

hmmm,,then have the top wrapped in vinyl
Old 06-20-2016, 01:31 PM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

or just get this from Downsouthvettes/aka vette candy and call it a day.
http://www.vettecandy.com/mobile/Pro...uctCode=vc-007

i have used plasticdip before and it works it's just a PITA to remove sometimes. I would rather spend $125 for a solution that I can remove in 5 seconds. It's nice in the summer to have the cover on, in the winter it's nice to see through the top and I just remove the cover.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:21 PM
rjearmg
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, rjearmg, when you get the fabric top shade please post a short review of it. Is it the type with suction cups? If so I was afraid it would look weird....
I will post a quick review once it arrives. Also it is the one that is held in place with suction cups.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:50 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LifeInAVette
Tinting is a bad idea (so I've heard from multiple tint shops) when attempting to do the plastic transparent roof.

Instead of spraying with plastidip, why not use the suction cup cloth shades? Take it out and store in the trunk when you want the view through the top.

Did any of these shops give you any idea on why it is a bad idea ??
Old 06-20-2016, 02:58 PM
tigtorch
Instructor

No, over the phone they just said they only tint glass.

I am very interested in the suction cup headliner. Doesn't it look weird? Don't the suction cups show through? If that is a good as you folks make it sound I may just spring for the $125...
Old 06-20-2016, 06:25 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just get one of those suction cup headliners that some of the vendors sell on here and it will solve your problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I use Plastidip inside clear for top shading?

Old 06-20-2016, 06:31 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rjearmg
I will post a quick review once it arrives. Also it is the one that is held in place with suction cups.
No, over the phone they just said they only tint glass.

I am very interested in the suction cup headliner. Doesn't it look weird? Don't the suction cups show through? If that is a good as you folks make it sound I may just spring for the $125...
Originally Posted by jrose7004
Just get one of those suction cup headliners that some of the vendors sell on here and it will solve your problem.
Just got one last week. No, you can't see the suction cups in even the brightest sunlight. The only thing I am looking to figure out is if there is a way to easily and quickly put it up / take it down when getting out / in the car (I mean other than attempting to suction / unsuction all 12-15 cups every time - maybe balance on the sun visors in the front and only use the rear couple of suction cups?). I like the sun coming through the roof when I don't have the top off (cold nights, in rain, extremely hot sunny days, days I am too lazy to take the roof off). I mean, that's the point of getting the transparent roof, right? Otherwise we should have all just bought the painted roof and be done with it.

Last edited by LifeInAVette; 06-20-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:10 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Just got one last week. No, you can't see the suction cups in even the brightest sunlight. The only thing I am looking to figure out is if there is a way to easily and quickly put it up / take it down when getting out / in the car (I mean other than attempting to suction / unsuction all 12-15 cups every time - maybe balance on the sun visors in the front and only use the rear couple of suction cups?). I like the sun coming through the roof when I don't have the top off (cold nights, in rain, extremely hot sunny days, days I am too lazy to take the roof off). I mean, that's the point of getting the transparent roof, right? Otherwise we should have all just bought the painted roof and be done with it.
12 to 15 suction cups ?? That sounds like an ordeal to have to mess with.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:20 AM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Find a better tinter or make your own tint template out of very thin paper.

Most tint shops take that stance because they fear damaging the non-glass surface with either a cutting blade or heat gun.

Applying ceramic tint to the clear roof is the best way to reduce heat and sun damage and gives you the flexibility to not going dark for that protection (like standard tints require).

Quick Reply: Can I use Plastidip inside clear for top shading?