C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another custom hood

Old 06-22-2016, 03:21 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 161 Posts

What about building a second insert that is a blank cover, remove the rivets and use Dzus fasteners instead?
You could lay one over the other during rain or replace one for the other completely.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:00 PM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

not a bad idea..i got two concepts...the left over pieces from the openings fit perfectly in the open areas - the waterjet cuts amazingly perfect..so im able to re-use those..since my mesh is 304 stainless it allows connection to magnets...my plan is to drop the cover pieces in the areas and attaching supermagnets on the engine side connecting to the drop in cover thru the mesh...these are extremely strong magnets even when they are small...you literary cant pry them apart with out some real effort....they are amazing...so im trying 2-3 per opening and will see how hard is to take apart and if there is a engine heat issue with them,,,if they dont work i will bolt the covers thru the mesh with a single bolt and a nylon wing nut on engine side for quick access...
Old 06-22-2016, 05:59 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by veloz
...Unrelated,,I did get thumbs up from a tijuana guy.
LOL. Of course you did... but, a thumbs up is a thumbs up

EDIT: For your "rain issue" - what about an undertray like some hoods have. Could design it to run around sides of engine bay or in front of the engine or something. Might be a little more fab work than you're looking for. Just a thought for ya.

Last edited by LifeInAVette; 06-22-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:12 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19

Nice fabrication... but I can't help but notice a faint resemblance to a distant cousin...

The following users liked this post:
veloz (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 10:53 PM
veloz
Drifting

Originally Posted by LifeInAVette
LOL. Of course you did... but, a thumbs up is a thumbs up

EDIT: For your "rain issue" - what about an undertray like some hoods have. Could design it to run around sides of engine bay or in front of the engine or something. Might be a little more fab work than you're looking for. Just a thought for ya.
for sure a good idea,,,maybe use theDZUS for that--will have to be really shallow though,,i got like 3/4" space....,,,,,

im testing magnets tomorrow and i can tell you with 3 small suprmagnets that are 3/4" diam you can not pull the cover off without a prying tool,,,,they are strong,,,
Old 06-23-2016, 08:11 AM
veloz
Drifting

Default Rain covers

Morning commute with the rain covers held on via supermagnets.. No issues. I didnt notice any movement from inside of car. Max speed about 45mph. Will test on hwy today at 60-80 mph. Tonite is dragstrip testing with no rain covers to chk temps,

Ps.i think Painted rivets did the job 1968swbbblock.

Wrapped rain covers. Small 1/16" gap around opening

Supermagnets
Old 06-23-2016, 12:51 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Blacked-out rivets look great!
Old 06-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

If those magnets fail or aren't strong enough then get some 'Microwave Oven' types, they will hold but they weigh about a pound apiece
NSF
Old 06-23-2016, 01:00 PM
veloz
Drifting

Originally Posted by OlyC6
Blacked-out rivets look great!
thx,,,i agree,,such a small change with big impact on the looks...

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
If those magnets fail or aren't strong enough then get some 'Microwave Oven' types, they will hold but they weigh about a pound apiece
NSF
il look into those...these lil ones are rated to 6 lbs of force each!! so i got 18 lbs of force in each plate....there's is no way they are coming off by themselves..i struggled this morning taking them off without a screwdriver...i need rain now...
Old 06-23-2016, 01:32 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Curious... is the material for the frame able to support using counter-sunk or flush rivet heads (like aero riveting)?
Old 06-23-2016, 01:37 PM
veloz
Drifting

Originally Posted by OlyC6
Curious... is the material for the frame able to support using counter-sunk or flush rivet heads (like aero riveting)?
hmm,,,right now its 18 ga panel...there is not much mtl for countersunk screws...my next prototype will be 1/4" thk with beveled edges and made out of plastic...that one will have enough thickness for countersinking screws.
OlyC6 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 02:14 PM
MLRS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the attitude of not been afraid to go to the next level, i know your project will be successful for the heat dissipation purpose, I believe that some corvette owners will not even put miles on it much less mess around with mechanical nor body alterations because their collectible sport car will devaluate in the future. Modern corvettes are not collectible maybe in 100 years from now, MAYBE. Keep the good work and keep posting your modifications and enjoy your ride.
The following 2 users liked this post by MLRS:
OlyC6 (06-23-2016), veloz (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 02:18 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

i'm sorry,that is just hilarious!!!

Good work op. What about water getting in there though if you get caught out there?
Old 06-23-2016, 02:35 PM
veloz
Drifting

Good work op. What about water getting in there though if you get caught out there?[/QUOTE]

see posts #26 - rain covers.

keep in mind all elec harness connectors in these and just about all cars are waterproofed and sealed..water shouldnt be damaging any of them....there are other hood vents out there that have zero covers or drain pans and ppl still use them even during rain.....
Old 06-23-2016, 02:40 PM
veloz
Drifting

Originally Posted by MLRS
I like the attitude of not been afraid to go to the next level, i know your project will be successful for the heat dissipation purpose, I believe that some corvette owners will not even put miles on it much less mess around with mechanical nor body alterations because their collectible sport car will devaluate in the future. Modern corvettes are not collectible maybe in 100 years from now, MAYBE. Keep the good work and keep posting your modifications and enjoy your ride.
thank you sir.-a few get it.....like i said,, custom mods or even aftermarket mods is not for everybody...for some these cars are like sculptures -for the right reason..mine is a DD that i race..plain and simple...so i saw an opportunity to alleviate a situation using proven methods and went for it with my own design.....maybe this will get someone excited about their own projects...
Old 06-23-2016, 03:58 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

...Tonite is dragstrip testing with no rain covers to chk temps...
I'm very interested in how much different the underhood temps are compared to the stock hood and vented after repeated runs (and actually driving around town, highway, etc.)

If there was a way to get downforce numbers as well that would be helpful too but I'm not sure if that's easily possible. I hear the downforce is improved somewhat with the air escaping through the hood instead of causing lift from under the hood in the engine bay.

Call it the science in me that's curious.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:57 AM
veloz
Drifting

Default Temps

Yesterday i was able to chk on temps from my DIC

Commute to work 20 min driving stop and go traffic 0-45 mph:
Morning 71F ambient, 170-189F coolant - delta of 1-5 deg lower temp
Noon 98F amb, 198F cool - delta of 1-3 deg lower
Afternoon 100F amb, 207F coolant - delta of 1-3 deg lower

Track 1/8 milestrip. 0- + 105 mph
Nite 97F amb, 135F coolant at staging,
After pass 199F coolant - delta of 6-8 deg lower

The vent does help a lot. I can see the heat coming out. Stop and go traffic gains were marginal but once it was moving temps drpped quicker

Thesewere my observations. Im sure geo location will have lots to do with it
The following 2 users liked this post by veloz:
LifeInAVette (06-24-2016), Not So Fast (06-24-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Another custom hood

Old 06-24-2016, 06:38 PM
OlyC6
Pro

The vent does help a lot. I can see the heat coming out. Stop and go traffic gains were marginal but once it was moving temps drpped quicker
Not an expert, but I'd surmise that the faster one goes, the wind flowing over the hood causes pressure that helps draw out the heat.

Thanks for the "data."

Last edited by OlyC6; 06-24-2016 at 06:38 PM.
veloz (06-24-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 03:09 PM
veloz
Drifting

Default rain test

ok so for the next test i introduced water to the hood vent to see how much it would leak inside the engine. so with the rain covers on there is about a 1/16" gap all around the covers. So i knew there was gonna be water on the SC cover..but it did fall off the cover shortly after- i imagine with the car moving it wouldn't be that much of an issue...so they will work by not letting tons of water in the engine but will not be completely sealed watertight,,,

the next mod was adding a new cover that would go over the entire vent on the outside. I used a magnetic sheet cut the same size of the vent. this one did keep the SC cover almost all dry...very small amounts of water...i did keep the previous rain covers in place with the super magnets and just laid the sheet over it..that seemed to have helped keep the sheet in place. only concern was the pull out strength of the sheet while driving....will test that next few days..

I guess there are pros and cons about doing this neat mod...the main pros is good temp drops during normal driving and at the track, then maybe- fairly decent look of this hood vent - some may object.., cons would be maybe water on the SC cover/ engine compartment and having to deal with putting the covers on and off. most likely will stay on during winter driving and during rainy seasons..

end result - im pleased with it....i satisfied my main objective - to lower engine temps....you decide if its for you

enjoy the pictures.

rain covers installed

water hose

SC cover,,most likely wouldnt be there if the car was moving..or at least as much

magnetic sheet over rain covers
Old 07-06-2016, 11:24 AM
MLRS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Hood scoop

After installing the Camaro's hood vent realized that the whole center of the vents had to be trimmed out almost completely, I had to eliminated most of the assembly so I cut from the center up and left the bottom part. Then I had this big hole at the center of the hood so I came up with the idea of a functional scoop and this its how end up. For my surprise Temps had improved to 196 F in traffic and 190 to 194 moving in a 100 F outside temp which its not bad. For everyone having an Eforce Supercharger be aware that the Camaro,s Hood vent won't work.
Attached Images  
BigMonkey73 (09-08-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another custom hood