C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Fuel System, Low Fuel, Repair Shop Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 08:02 AM
shakinrock
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Service Fuel System, Low Fuel, Repair Shop Recommendation

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a few questions here and your actual experience would be greatly appreciated.

The bottom line question is where should I take my '07 Vert Z51 vehicle to repair the chronic issue with the fuel sensors. I might not have the correct name of the part but its the part that measures resistance within the gas tanks to help compute the overall fuel level in the car. I am about 75 miles due north of Atlanta and I need a shop that is reasonable yet has positive experience with this repair. If you have a moment please read on for my follow up questions.

So I have about 54k miles on my car. It all started around 50k miles where I received the error messages (Service Fuel System, Low Fuel) immediately after fill up and ONLY at that time. After consuming about 2/3 of a gallon the gas gauge returned to normal. I've since moved to top tier gas only and tried Techron and Seafoam both near full and also at the beginning of a fill up. Now I just started to get the same issue (very sporadically) at about 40% fuel remaining.

My sense is that the fuel sensor unit is progressively getting worse. Any thoughts on this? Do you think it is getting worse, is there any brand new ideas on an inexpensive fix?

Thanks as always for taking the time to read and reply.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:58 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

It is more than likely you passenger side level sensor that needs to be replaced -

"IF" you are going to do this the parts are cheap enough to do the drivers side to, since things have to be dropped to get the fuel tanks down -

A lift is needed, and really should be used to do the job safely and as little fuel in the tanks as possible -

The kits come with the new "Top" O-ring seal so no need to worry about getting that.

There are no new magical fixes, just the repair of replacing the units(s) as needed, time to find a shop that will not overcharge you. Usually one of the Corvette speed shops is a good place to call or go over to and talk with the owner and get a feel and some prices.

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-24-2016, 09:21 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Brace yourself. I had my local dealership fix this on my '07 vert four years ago. They charged me $1300, which was mostly labor to disassemble the entire rear of the car to access the passenger side gas tank. If there were an access port at the top, it would have cost less than $100.

Three months ago the exact same problem returned.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:51 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
Brace yourself. I had my local dealership fix this on my '07 vert four years ago. They charged me $1300, which was mostly labor to disassemble the entire rear of the car to access the passenger side gas tank. If there were an access port at the top, it would have cost less than $100.
Funny that, eh?
Recall a couple members consider cutting a hole thru rear floor to access pumps. Pretty pissed.
IIRC no one ever did, too dangerous; but, illustrates how pricey this repair is. All labor, and there is a lot.
Unless a seasoned wrench w/ lift/tools/time, one's stuck.

Originally Posted by eritosthenes
Three months ago the exact same problem returned.

Please say dealer warrantied their work.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:01 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru

Please say dealer warrantied their work.
Yes, but not a lifetime warranty.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 01:06 PM
shakinrock
Pro

So does anyone have a recommendation for a shop to do the repairs? No way I would tackle this myself. I'm 75 miles north of Atlanta near Jasper GA. The local Chevy dealer does not seem to do much volume at all of Corvettes so I'm a little skeptical.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:39 PM
Mark H
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Never had any dealings with them, but I'm sure they would be cheaper than a dealer. Also, they are not too far from you. Good luck!!
http://www.buyavette.net/

Last edited by Mark H; 06-24-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:24 PM
tabing
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the exact problem with the same car (coupe). Tried the Techron, top tier etc. Didn't help. Now I just reset the "A" odometer to be sure I don't run out of gas and ignore the message. Fill up at 200 miles. This has been going on for over a year. I'd just leave it and learn to live with it. My mechanic said it shouldn't be a problem and it hasn't been for me.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:44 PM
shakinrock
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark H
Never had any dealings with them, but I'm sure they would be cheaper than a dealer. Also, they are not too far from you. Good luck!!
http://www.buyavette.net/
I called this repair / performance shop. The person I spoke with sounded very experienced with the issue. However they wanted $2400 to fix it. Of course they wanted to replace fuel pumps too.

So I already use the 'pull' method on the vert top so that the toneau cover does not hit the back glass. Now I need to use the "A" tripometer method to determine how much gas I have. What next?

Wonderful how GM stands behind their cars. No Camaro SS for me which would have been my next car.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Dub Mc
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

After sucking up the price of the repair I would have the worry of issues over all that has to be taken apart and put back togeother. I can see very possible problems down the road.. Mine has just started acting up at times and I think I will leave it be because of this.. And I don't like letting things go not repaired on a vehicle..
Old 07-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Dub Mc
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

And then I see videos on utube with guys jacking the car up from the rear.. taking off the tire.. removing the wheel well.. dropping a aluminum pan and then dropping the fuel tank.. Whats with all the dropping rear ends and transmissions? Where is the BS coming from? Guys on utube or Chevy dealers? I suspect Chevy dealers.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Fuel System, Low Fuel, Repair Shop Recommendation

Quick Reply: Service Fuel System, Low Fuel, Repair Shop Recommendation