C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage door opener issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:50 PM
laketime
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage door opener issue

I have a 2007 vette and a newer Sears garage door opener. The issue I have does not happen often, but every few days when I open the car door, the garage door will close. At first I thought it was due to bumping the door opener remote since I have not messed with trying to get the vette universal opener to work with the new sears (search turned up lots of posts about that issue) but I have moved it to a secure place and it still happens. Have tried to repeat it by opening the car door many times in a row but never happens when trying to make it happen. Other then when opening the vette door, I have never seen the garage door do anything unexpected and do not have close neighbors.

Is it possible even with all of the rolling code stuff in the garage door, that the vette when it queries for the key fob could trigger the garage door???

Thanks
Old 06-26-2016, 02:32 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by laketime
Is it possible even with all of the rolling code stuff in the garage door, that the vette when it queries for the key fob could trigger the garage door???

Thanks
That's what it sounds like to me, but the car's query should be weak and only within a foot or two of the door. Is this happening when the car is in the garage, or in the driveway?
Old 06-26-2016, 03:20 PM
laketime
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by the kid C6
That's what it sounds like to me, but the car's query should be weak and only within a foot or two of the door. Is this happening when the car is in the garage, or in the driveway?
It is in the garage with the driver side door right below the opener
Old 06-26-2016, 09:08 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I can't see how that could happen since the garage opener needs a digital code transmitted and the odds of the same code being transmitted by the car is one in billions.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:31 PM
Nomomoney
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Confirming, that you are using your garage door handheld remote and not the buttons on the visor?

Is this a single or a double garage door opener and how many other remotes do you have? Is this happening with other remotes, if you have any?

It may not be your remote at all. Have you checked the upward force of your garage door opener? If that upward force dial is set to the extreme or close to the extreme, that may be causing your garage door to "self close".

Just a thought.

Allen
Old 06-27-2016, 07:48 AM
laketime
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Nomomoney
Confirming, that you are using your garage door handheld remote and not the buttons on the visor?

Is this a single or a double garage door opener and how many other remotes do you have? Is this happening with other remotes, if you have any?

It may not be your remote at all. Have you checked the upward force of your garage door opener? If that upward force dial is set to the extreme or close to the extreme, that may be causing your garage door to "self close".

Just a thought.

Allen
Replaced the door opener fall 2014 on a double garage door after storing the Vette for the winter. My Kia and Toyota Avalon have never had any issues. I use the opener remote that came with the door for the Kia and Vette but the built in one on the Avalon. Last summer maybe drove the vette once a month and do not remember any issues but this summer I'm getting to enjoy the car more and it has happened at least 6 times so far. Never happened with the Kia in the winter when it was parked in the same spot with the same door opener and the Avalon that is used over 5 times as much has never had the issue. So I do not think it is something with the adjustment of the door or other interference since it only has happened entering the vette. The garage door normal has been open for awhile before I get into the vette so it should not be having an issue during the open cycle that is causing it to close.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:35 AM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Car battery? Weird things happen when the battery starts going. Just saying, maybe it is, or maybe it isn't.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Dub Mc
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Just remember to never park under the door... Bad day if the door decides to close on your car. I know a cat that is still kicking himself. Not me.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage door opener issue

Quick Reply: Garage door opener issue