C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key or lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 05:37 PM
CDN_Z06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Key or lighter?

Does this look like a key was used or a lighter?

Looks a little wide to be a key , and the skipping at the start could be a lighter wheel not biting in?

There was someone near my car smoking when I left it , came back 2 hours later and found this , guy said good morning , something seamed off as I walked away(my bad). So I have a hunch who did it.

Thoughts?
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
JKHolman (06-27-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 05:44 PM
CDN_Z06
Advanced

Pic
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2016, 05:49 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I feel bad for you as it looks like a key. I hope karma will get that AH.i would see if he always hangs out there and watching his eyes ask him does he know who did that to your car. Most likely jealousy. You may have to repainted the side because of the color match

Last edited by enventr; 06-26-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:01 PM
Boilerman
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That just sucks!!!!

I wish you guys that have things like this happen would say the locations so others could steer clear of those areas.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:10 PM
CDN_Z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boilerman
That just sucks!!!!

I wish you guys that have things like this happen would say the locations so others could steer clear of those areas.
Happened in a parkade. There are other vehicles of value around.

If I see the guy again , going to confront him , ask for a light (I don't smoke) see if any paint on it.

And then tell him I caught him on my dash cam ( which I don't have one)
Old 06-26-2016, 06:12 PM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

That sucks.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:58 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by CDN_Z06
Happened in a parkade. There are other vehicles of value around.

If I see the guy again , going to confront him , ask for a light (I don't smoke) see if any paint on it.

And then tell him I caught him on my dash cam ( which I don't have one)
Was he a homeless guy? Or just somebody who probably had his own car parked there? If homeless type, there's probably nothing you can do about it.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:08 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

That sucks and lemans blue is nearly impossible to 100% match.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:10 PM
CDN_Z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Was he a homeless guy? Or just somebody who probably had his own car parked there? If homeless type, there's probably nothing you can do about it.
Not homeless , older fellow , kind of person that sets off your sixth sense...
I hear ya , not going to let it ruin my life. Pay my deductible and get it fixed.
Matter of principle to me.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:13 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It's just too bad that the car can't fight back!
The following users liked this post:
JKHolman (06-27-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 07:46 PM
sunburstLS3
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

About every weekend, I've been wanting to drive my vette downtown to hangout at the entertainment district. I've just been wanting to take the top off and look at the tall buildings in the open air before parking.

But each time I thought about it, this is the exact reason why I have decided against it. The risk of dings or someone purposely damaging your vette goes up. A lot of idiots out there associate vettes with being wealthy and they hold some kind of bizarre irrational marxist type of anger towards anyone driving a nice vehicle. Yea, there are people walking around in society that have had their wealth or big $$$ paying corporate jobs handed to them simply due to family connections and have it pretty easy in life, but not everyone with a nice car like a vette has that type of situation.

Funny situation happened to me a year ago where some guy driving a small 60 mpg cheap bubble type of car pulled up near me in a parking lot as I was walking to my vette. I for sure thought the guy was going to put me down asking me why I am driving such a nice car when "other people in the world are starving". He actually rolled down his window to compliment my vette. I was so ready to tell him that i worked hard my entire life to buy something i've wanted for years and that i've never anyone give me a dime for anything. Even paid my own way through college as well. Never received a handout for anything. Even the job I have wasn't due to any connections or anything. Just purely on my own, and I bought my vette with my own labor.

Then some pot smoking loser could come along and key your vette because they think we should live in a communist society. Looks like a key to me. Nothing you can do but get it fixed and then buy a dashcam.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:03 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Belt buckle?
Old 06-26-2016, 09:41 PM
CDN_Z06
Advanced

Was between 7-9am , most "punks" aren't around at that hr on Sunday morning.

Could always be worse.

What are thoughts on resale for being keyed? Is it a red flag, because it's not original paint , or no biggy as only surface damage.
Car is an 06Z Canadian built With 20,000 miles. Good condition. Clean carfax (until this)
Not that I'm selling it anytime soon but loss of value comes to mind.

Last edited by CDN_Z06; 06-26-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:00 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

"Loss of value" isn't going to matter. It's 10 years old now, and if you're keeping it for a while it'll be much older, and a generation or two old (if C8s come out by the time you sell).

It's not a "classic", it's not a limited edition, it's not special in any way (sorry, it's not) other than it's a Z06 and there are a ton of them around. Repainting isn't going to affect anything as far as value goes, and more than likely (pending you hold on to it for a while) it may not have a whole lot of value anyway.

I say drive the pi$$ out of it, enjoy it, and get your money's worth now. Stop worrying about who is going to buy your "pristine" 'vette way down the road. You've already lost value on general depreciation, if money was your concern you should have saved cash and bought a cheaper car.

Since the damage is done, now is the time to experiment. Try out some of those "we fix scratches" things you hear about on commercials, car shows, etc. If they don't work, well, the door is already damaged so who cares. If they do work (at least to a point you're happier with it than it having a gigantic scratch down it) then it'll be a big money saver on getting repainted now and can put that huge bill off into the future.

EDIT: I feel for you. That is a real dikk thing to see when coming back to your car.

Last edited by LifeInAVette; 06-26-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:43 PM
CDN_Z06
Advanced

Perfect good to hear , I'm not gonna let it get to me , going to enjoy the car for what it is

FYI if you look at Canadian built cars in Lemans blue , the numbers are lower than you think. Does not increase value , but trickier to find.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:45 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

You can have the entire side painted and forget about it.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:33 AM
scottaolsen
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sunburstLS3
About every weekend, I've been wanting to drive my vette downtown to hangout at the entertainment district. I've just been wanting to take the top off and look at the tall buildings in the open air before parking.

But each time I thought about it, this is the exact reason why I have decided against it. The risk of dings or someone purposely damaging your vette goes up. A lot of idiots out there associate vettes with being wealthy and they hold some kind of bizarre irrational marxist type of anger towards anyone driving a nice vehicle. Yea, there are people walking around in society that have had their wealth or big $$$ paying corporate jobs handed to them simply due to family connections and have it pretty easy in life, but not everyone with a nice car like a vette has that type of situation.

Funny situation happened to me a year ago where some guy driving a small 60 mpg cheap bubble type of car pulled up near me in a parking lot as I was walking to my vette. I for sure thought the guy was going to put me down asking me why I am driving such a nice car when "other people in the world are starving". He actually rolled down his window to compliment my vette. I was so ready to tell him that i worked hard my entire life to buy something i've wanted for years and that i've never anyone give me a dime for anything. Even paid my own way through college as well. Never received a handout for anything. Even the job I have wasn't due to any connections or anything. Just purely on my own, and I bought my vette with my own labor.

Then some pot smoking loser could come along and key your vette because they think we should live in a communist society. Looks like a key to me. Nothing you can do but get it fixed and then buy a dashcam.

Geez, somebody keyed his car. I doubt it was a political statement.

I paid my way through college too.

Get notified of new replies

To Key or lighter?

Old 06-27-2016, 03:43 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by scottaolsen
Geez, somebody keyed his car. I doubt it was a political statement.

I paid my way through college too.

I think people have been keying cars since about, well, I guess since there have been cars and keys.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:14 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

Capital punishment worthy crime.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:33 AM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

That hurts. Especially when you work hard for your money, and decide to get something nice for yourself, and then someone does this. Just doesn't make sense why people have to do something like this. I feel the pain you must be feeling. Hope it turns out well.

Quick Reply: Key or lighter?