C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunoco ultra 93

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:11 PM
PA_BLUE_C6
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'12, '15

Default Sunoco ultra 93

I followed a thread which led me to a website that rates gasoline into the top tier rating. I have put 99% of the fuel from Sunoco ultra 93 pumps in my 08 since new. It is not considered a top tier and I have 19 times the deposits on my intake valves vs the shell station which is closer to me. Price has never been a consideration. What do I do now that I have persistently been choosing this non-top-tier gas which has given my best times and powered me thru the road courses without any hint of problems. Who am I to believe?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:38 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

"Top tier" is branding companies buy into. They can have quality gas, but not pay for the "top tier" certification.
The following users liked this post:
PA_BLUE_C6 (07-08-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 11:39 PM
let er eat
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by PA_BLUE_C6
I followed a thread which led me to a website that rates gasoline into the top tier rating. I have put 99% of the fuel from Sunoco ultra 93 pumps in my 08 since new. It is not considered a top tier and I have 19 times the deposits on my intake valves vs the shell station which is closer to me. Price has never been a consideration. What do I do now that I have persistently been choosing this non-top-tier gas which has given my best times and powered me thru the road courses without any hint of problems. Who am I to believe?
Only reason they aren't on it is they don't pay to be on it...
Old 07-08-2016, 06:32 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

I've also ran Sunoco 93 in both my 2008 and 2011 vettes with no fuel related issues, for well over 100k miles.

Just filled up the 2011 this morning with it.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

So from what I understand from your post, is that you have 19 more times carbon buildup because your using Sunoco gas instead of Shell?
Old 07-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by PA_BLUE_C6
Don't worry about it and keep using it

Back in the day Sunoco 260 was the racers choice

I grew up using Sunoco gas

We don't have it down here but I am happy that we have 93 all over the place . Been using Shell and Chevron

Dave
Old 07-08-2016, 08:17 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Don't worry about it and keep using it

Back in the day Sunoco 260 was the racers choice

I grew up using Sunoco gas

We don't have it down here but I am happy that we have 93 all over the place . Been using Shell and Chevron

Dave
Ha!...I remember 260. They had 8 or 10 different grades. You had to dial in your choice with this funky dialer.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:20 AM
COCO RICK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
So from what I understand from your post, is that you have 19 more times carbon buildup because your using Sunoco gas instead of Shell?
The following is from my local news paper today (07/08/2016)

Associated Press
Many motorists are clogging their car's engine by not using gasoline with enough added detergents.

That's the conclusion of a study released Thursday by the AAA auto club.

Federal rules in place since 1996 require all gasoline to have some engine-cleaning additives, but many major brands have extra detergents. AAA said tests it commissioned from an independent lab found that lesser gasolines left 19 times more deposits on engine intake valves than so-called top-tier fuels after the equivalent of 4,000 miles of driving.

AAA said carbon deposits reduce a car's mileage, increase emissions and hurt performance, especially on newer cars.

The auto club said gasolines with extra detergents cost an average of 3 cents per gallon more. And that could be their undoing.

Three-fourths of consumers surveyed by AAA buy their gas based on price or the service station's location. Only 1 in 8 picked a brand because it has extra detergents.

AAA's director of automotive engineering, Greg Brannon, said car owners can undo some deposits by switching gasoline for a few thousand miles.

The program to promote higher-detergent fuels grew out of concern by some carmakers that the EPA standards for fuel detergents were too weak to prevent buildup that affects car performance. General Motors, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Fiat Chrysler, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen are sponsors.

The Michigan-based Center for Quality Assurance runs the program and charges gas stations a fee to use the Top Tier seal of approval. Two executives of the group declined to disclose the fee.

- See more at: http://digitaledition.courant.com/tr....PeCFLoBe.dpuf
Old 07-08-2016, 08:33 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Ha!...I remember 260. They had 8 or 10 different grades. You had to dial in your choice with this funky dialer.
Yes , they had the push buttons on the pump that would mix certain amounts of 190 and 260 to give you all the mid level grades

Every Friday I filled up with 260 and went to the street races on Decatur Road in Northeast Philadelphia with my LS6 Chevelle , now that car had to run premium lol

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 07-08-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:43 AM
Tribaltalon
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I fill up with 93 at the local Kroger's. They're consistently the cheapest for premium, and I've spoken to the tankers that fill the tanks and they say they get their premium from Shell, Exxon, Chevron, Valero, whoever happens to be the cheapest that day. I'll probably either end up running E-85 before too awful long but I definitely think some people get a little too berserk about their fuel choices. "OMG I have a 505HP Z06 I need the bestest premium" yeah well I have a 700 RWHP LS2...
Old 07-08-2016, 09:54 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightmareCS
"Top tier" is branding companies buy into. They can have quality gas, but not pay for the "top tier" certification.
Meeting the standards qualifies you to be on the list..Top tier gas has to meet set standards to be included in the list of top tier gas stations. There is no buying your way in, you either meet the standards , or you don't..Being on the list means you have to have the additives in your fuel to meet the minimum standards..Sunoco doesn't meet the minimum standards with there additives....WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-14-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:02 AM
PA_BLUE_C6
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'12, '15

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Yep, they claim if you don't use top tier fuel your intake valves have 19 times the deposits compared to......say Citgo.

Call me old fashion but I ain't fixing what ain't broke.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:40 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Yes , they had the push buttons on the pump that would mix certain amounts of 190 and 260 to give you all the mid level grades

Every Friday I filled up with 260 and went to the street races on Decatur Road in Northeast Philadelphia with my LS6 Chevelle , now that car had to run premium lol

Dave
I used 240 BC I only had an unmodded small block Chevy. LOL...
Old 07-08-2016, 11:23 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Chevron white pump for my '64 vette...back in the 60's.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:01 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Wrong, meeting the standards qualifies you to be on the list..Top tier gas has to meet set standards to be included in the list of top tier gas stations. There is no buying your way in, you either meet the standards , or you don't..Being on the list means you have to have the additives in your fuel to meet the minimum standards..Sunoco doesn't meet the minimum standards with there additives....WW
Wrong....this is an excerpt directly from the top tier website:

What does it cost to sign up for the TOP TIER™ program?

There is an annual license fee based on the number of service stations owned by the fuel marketer

http://www.toptiergas.com/faqs/
Old 07-08-2016, 12:09 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jft69z
Wrong....this is an excerpt directly from the top tier website:

What does it cost to sign up for the TOP TIER™ program?

There is an annual license fee based on the number of service stations owned by the fuel marketer

http://www.toptiergas.com/faqs/
When I say "there's no buying your way in" I mean you can't get on the list if you don't meet the minimum standards for additives. If your on the list your fuel meets the standards that are set.If your fuel doesn't meet the standards no amount of money will get you on the list...If Sunoco met the standards wouldn't it be in their best interest to pay the fee and be included on the list??.Oil companys make Billions a year , I'm sure they would pay the fee to have their name on the list if their fuel met the standards. Why spend all the money to put the additives in the fuel and then not pay the fee to get on the list?...WW

How do I become a TOP TIER™ gasoline marketer?

There are a few steps involved and they are outlined below.

Step 1: Contact the Center for Quality Assurance (email TopTier@CenterForQA.com) to obtain the forms and information for becoming a TOP TIER™ Licensee.

Step 2: Contact your fuel supply terminal to inquire about available TOP TIER™ detergency formulations and from which additive company. If your terminal does not supply TOP TIER™ Detergency Gasoline, contact CQA to arrange an approved additive company to work with your terminal.

Step 3: Contact the additive company to obtain the additive treat rates and performance testing data for the TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline package at your terminal.

Step 4: Complete and sign the TOP TIER™ license agreement, which includes verification of your exact detergency package type and treat rate for use at your service stations.

Step 5: Obtain gasoline containing your exact detergency package type and treat rate from terminals supplying your service stations.

Step 6: Display the TOP TIER™ logo at your service stations.

Congratulations! You are now a certified TOP TIER™ Licensee.

How is the detergency validated to TOP TIER™ Performance Standards?

The detergency package is validated at an independent ISO 17025 certified laboratory by the additive company to the TOP TIER™ Performance Standards (see below). Once the detergency package is validated, the treat rates and performance testing data can be supplied to a fuel marketer for the license agreement. The fuel supply terminal will then supply gasoline with the agreed detergent and treat rate.

TOP TIER TM Performance Testing Chart
Ford 2.3L Intake Valve Deposits
Test Requirement
Base Fuel 500 mg min (avg)
Base Fuel + additive (X) at XX PTB 50 mg max (avg)

Ford 2.3L Combustion Chamber Deposits
Test Requirement
Base Fuel
Base Fuel + additive (X) at XX PTB <140% of base fuel

GM Intake Valve Sticking Test
Test Requirement
Base Fuel + additive (X) at XX PTB 0 max @ 2X TOP TIERTM treat rate

Is TOP TIER™ only for premium gasoline?

No. TOP TIER™ fuel marketers use TOP TIER™ for all octane grades of gasoline sold at their stations. So all grades provide enhanced cleaning power.

Last edited by WW7; 07-08-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:19 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
If Sunoco met the standards wouldn't it be in their best interest to pay the fee and be included on the list??..WW
Not if they don't feel the need to waste their money to get on the list. Every time I drive by the Sunoco stations around here (and there are a lot), there's no shortage of customers filling their vehicles.

I seem to remember years ago they said as much, and their gas met or exceeded the specs for top tier classification. I couldn't find it with a quick google search so I just emailed them to see how they respond.

If & when they do, I'll post their response.

Get notified of new replies

To Sunoco ultra 93

Old 07-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

As I said in another thread yesterday. You should switch brands occasionally. One brand's detergent will clean another brand's deposits off of your engine. That's been common knowledge for50 years.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I use V Power regularly. But Sunoco is one of the brands I would switch to. It's good gasoline.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:51 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jft69z
Not if they don't feel the need to waste their money to get on the list. Every time I drive by the Sunoco stations around here (and there are a lot), there's no shortage of customers filling their vehicles.

I seem to remember years ago they said as much, and their gas met or exceeded the specs for top tier classification. I couldn't find it with a quick google search so I just emailed them to see how they respond.

If & when they do, I'll post their response
Yeah, I'm sure they will tell you the truth and not give you a statement prepared by the CEO of the company for when questions like this are asked.....WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-08-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Sunoco ultra 93