C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My son almost bought a C6 tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 01:11 AM
Jim__H
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Default My son almost bought a C6 tonight

Hi guys,
First time on this forum, I am usually on the C3 board, I have a '77 project going. My 27 year old son zeroed in on a 2005 coupe that was at a Honda dealership, 45K miles, the car looked, sounded and ran great. Black, very cool car. The only think that popped out was the wheels and tires are not right. Looked like repro C5 wheels, so instead of the stock 245/40-18 (front) and 285/35-19 (rear) tires, the car had 245/45-17 (f) and 275/40-18 (r) and the finish on the inside of the chrome wheels was rough, Chevy logo so maybe counterfeit? How bad is this?

Anyway, we walked.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:44 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

They are most likely repros for a C5. They should be "fine" as long as the front to rear ratio is good (the rears need to be 1" larger diameter or the traction control gets flakey)

If the price is right I wouldn't walk away because of it. If it bothers you and you want stock C6 wheels they can be picked up as used take-offs since people sell them when they go aftermarket or they do a widebody conversion on a "base" C6. You would need tires as well since the ones they have on it are the wrong tires for OEM wheels.

That said, there are a lot of C6's for sale. If this one bugs you (or your son) then keep looking and a better one will come around. I looked for about a year before I bought mine and in the end I actually bought new vs. used (in 2013) due to being end of model with rebates and (forum) dealer mark downs It was about the same price for new (out of state) vs used (local) and the used ones were a few years old with almost no warranty left or none left.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:46 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

There are many wheels OEM on eBay. Chrome as well. You should have posted a pic . This is a factory wheel for a standard base C6 in chrome

Last edited by enventr; 07-19-2016 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:34 AM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim__H
Hi guys,
First time on this forum, I am usually on the C3 board, I have a '77 project going. My 27 year old son zeroed in on a 2005 coupe that was at a Honda dealership, 45K miles, the car looked, sounded and ran great. Black, very cool car. The only think that popped out was the wheels and tires are not right. Looked like repro C5 wheels, so instead of the stock 245/40-18 (front) and 285/35-19 (rear) tires, the car had 245/45-17 (f) and 275/40-18 (r) and the finish on the inside of the chrome wheels was rough, Chevy logo so maybe counterfeit? How bad is this?

Anyway, we walked.
I ordered a new 77, back when I managed a Chevy Store. It was black, with smoke gray interior. I ordered an automatic (wife couldn't drive a std) and it was the first model with cruise control. It was a beauty. Good luck on your resto project.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:48 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I wouldn't take the car off of the list based on the wrong wheels. I just sold a set of OEM chrome 5 stars for $400.00. You can find the right wheels pretty cheap.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:19 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Wrong size wheels is odd.
I'd agree that is was good you walked.
Many choices in used cars with no stories.
Good hunting to you and your son.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:13 AM
Jim__H
Pro

Originally Posted by Ben101er
I ordered a new 77, back when I managed a Chevy Store. It was black, with smoke gray interior. I ordered an automatic (wife couldn't drive a std) and it was the first model with cruise control. It was a beauty. Good luck on your resto project.
Thanks Ben, I'm having a lot of fun with this car, it has lot's of potential. The finer points are: original L48 upgraded to just under 400hp, 700R4 tranny, Borgeson steering and Vintage Air. The rest will be stock.

We would have bought the car but the negotiations went nowhere. They had it at high retail and then tried to pull some funny stuff with the price when we asked for the "out the door price". My son told the guy he would buy it for $22,500 and he turned it down. There was some anguish on our part as we drove away as it was such a good looking car but there are other fish in the sea. Here it is if anyone is interested:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/5674821580.html
Old 07-19-2016, 11:27 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default this

Originally Posted by Jim__H
Thanks Ben, I'm having a lot of fun with this car, it has lot's of potential. The finer points are: original L48 upgraded to just under 400hp, 700R4 tranny, Borgeson steering and Vintage Air. The rest will be stock.

We would have bought the car but the negotiations went nowhere. They had it at high retail and then tried to pull some funny stuff with the price when we asked for the "out the door price". My son told the guy he would buy it for $22,500 and he turned it down. There was some anguish on our part as we drove away as it was such a good looking car but there are other fish in the sea. Here it is if anyone is interested:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/5674821580.html
looks like a nice clean car.I wouldn't be very concerned about the wheels on it.the wheels on it look great and the original wheels are available dirt cheap
Old 07-19-2016, 11:52 AM
dbielicke
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Tell him there are always more fish in the sea! I walked on a very similar situation. The dealer wouldn't move at all on price, and it had 22" rims that I needed to get rid of. Good luck finding one!!
Old 07-19-2016, 02:53 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

You would have to drive it fast in order to see if the traction control system is already having problems because of the different tire/wheel sizes. Usually this doesn't show up until 80mph or so.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:58 PM
Jim__H
Pro

Originally Posted by cclive
You would have to drive it fast in order to see if the traction control system is already having problems because of the different tire/wheel sizes. Usually this doesn't show up until 80mph or so.
Well I did get it up to 80, in fact almost 90 (and it was not on the freeway) but not for long because I was running out of road. As you guys probably know it did not take long to get there, damn impressive if you ask me >:-)

The car was rock solid, but for future reference, what would the symptoms be?
Old 07-19-2016, 05:25 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

If that is the color your son wants, optioned out like he wants, and has been meticulously taken care of... as most others have said, I would not walk because of the wheels.

You could sell that wheel/tire package and get some mint OEM C6 ones if you want. My son sold his OEM chromies off his '07 awhile back. They are easy to find in great shape.

You would get a Service Active Handling message if the overall tire diameter was too far off from stock (front/rear differential is what often causes this). Given the combo you list that is on the car currently has basically the exact same diameter front/rear, I _doubt_ it will throw a code.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:59 PM
Jim__H
Pro

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
If that is the color your son wants, optioned out like he wants, and has been meticulously taken care of... as most others have said, I would not walk because of the wheels.

You could sell that wheel/tire package and get some mint OEM C6 ones if you want. My son sold his OEM chromies off his '07 awhile back. They are easy to find in great shape.

You would get a Service Active Handling message if the overall tire diameter was too far off from stock (front/rear differential is what often causes this). Given the combo you list that is on the car currently has basically the exact same diameter front/rear, I _doubt_ it will throw a code.
We just didn't feel the car was worth full retail. The sales guy was trying to BS us about how much they would lose on the car if they came down to our price. I think we have all heard that one before. I think I mentioned above, the wheels appeared to be low quality with a very poor surface finish on the inner diameter. There was a code showing but it was tire related, not the active handling message you refer to. That one for sure would have gotten our attention.

I appreciate all the input from you guys....
Old 07-19-2016, 08:05 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Don't buy a car that has a code showing from a dealer...that should be something they get fixed...
Old 07-19-2016, 08:27 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Don't buy a car that has a code showing from a dealer...that should be something they get fixed...

Base model with base options...I think you can get more car for that money. The tire code may very well be for missing TPMS sensors in those aftermarket wheels. My $0.02 YMMV
Old 07-20-2016, 06:29 AM
Tribaltalon
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Not to mention the 2005 has some deficiencies related to the rear differential. Not a huge deal if he's not going to modify the car but personally I'd at least be looking at 06 and up. 08 with the more powerful ls3 would be even better...
Old 07-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Jim__H
Pro

Originally Posted by Tribaltalon
Not to mention the 2005 has some deficiencies related to the rear differential. Not a huge deal if he's not going to modify the car but personally I'd at least be looking at 06 and up. 08 with the more powerful ls3 would be even better...
Well, the story took a turnaround yesterday, the sales guy called my son and told him that they would accept our offer of $22.5K. So we went over and they agreed to fix the code. I also brought my code reader this time and verified no other codes. My son bought the car. We were aware of the differential issue up front there is no noise now but we will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again for all the input, now it's back to the C3 board for me.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To My son almost bought a C6 tonight

Old 12-17-2016, 01:39 PM
tommykoz1998
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jim H and Son. Wondered if you guys were able to find decent rims for the vert. I have 2 full sets....front and rear from my old 2004 and 2008. They are factory OEM and all are in excellent shape. Let me know if interested. Tom
Old 12-17-2016, 02:46 PM
Red Devil Z51
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

New wheels might be cheap used but remember this the tires are in no way cheap and u will need an entire new set so figure new wheels tires and mounting etc is gonna be at least another 2 grand
Old 12-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Jim__H
Pro

Originally Posted by tommykoz1998
Hi Jim H and Son. Wondered if you guys were able to find decent rims for the vert. I have 2 full sets....front and rear from my old 2004 and 2008. They are factory OEM and all are in excellent shape. Let me know if interested. Tom
We had talked about buying a set of wheels if a good deal came up and not mounting tires on them until needed. He has not done anything yet. Thanks for the heads up Tommy, I will pass it on to my son Kyle.

Quick Reply: My son almost bought a C6 tonight