C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:03 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Even many who buy new have the same issues.. I'm sure buying used can make it worse, but most of the time it's the quality of the car , not the owners fault..The thing that pisses me off about GM , even when they find out they have been supplied low quality parts for building their cars , they continue to use those same parts for years afterwards,(EX- Balancers, Leaking oil pans, weak clutch cylinders ).This shows me how little they care about quality.....WW
Well said....and it doesn't help that one has to sell one of their children in order to pay for getting it fixed at a dealer. It's not right....but it may be a little easier to accept if one could do some of the repairs themselves without having to disassemble the entire car just to do some simple repairs....shift cables.....H-balancers....just to name a couple.....
Old 08-10-2016, 11:40 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULEB07
On my third one. Just get in and drive it. Whatever happens you deal with it or sell it! I love mine and always have a smile on my face!!!!
about sums it up. I DD mine, so far, so good. End of Aug it will be two years and ~38K miles.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:52 PM
See 8
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Josephcat
Golly, I have had my 05 since 05 and although has not been problem free........I still love the car! I had clear top replaced years ago as lamination was starting to peel, Had a drivers door window switch go out and replaced, Harmonic Balancer was replaced the fuel system sending unit needs replacing but costs so much I just keep an eye on the mileage! lol maybe someday I'll have fixed but that's it!! The car enjoys great preventive care as well weekly (or more) baths and regular wax and detailing all by me! It is a daily driver except in winter when it stays in the garage on the somewhat rare occasion of snow but its been a great car! I have over 131K on it and still looks like new!
Try putting a bottle of Techron Plus in your gas tank as per instructions on the bottle, and I'll bet your sender issues go away in about an hour of driving. The sulfur in the gas can cause issues with the C5
Old 08-10-2016, 05:10 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,428 Likes on 775 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I bought my 2006 new with 2 miles on the clock. In the 10+ years of ownership it boils down to this:

Battery at the 3 year mark
Headliner rip during the first year - replaced under warranty, been fine since
Cleaned the exterior door pads once around the 5 year mark
Transmission replaced at 34K miles for slipping 4-6 clutches. This was most likely self inflicted due to mods (supercharger).
Brake pad replacement x2. Originals had the dreaded Z51 squeal. Second was an upgrade from AC Delco ceramics to Hawk ceramics. Nothing worng with the Delcos.
Shifter cable broke last December.

I have just under 38K miles on the car. I plan on keeping it at least another 5 years.
Attached Images   
Old 08-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I bought my 08 ZHZ ( Hertz Rental model) coupe 2 years ago with 80k plus on it. Has it been trouble free nope. Replace the Harmonic balancer at about 106k miles and the radiator at about 110kmiles. Would I drive cross country probably just went from VA to Niagara falls and back in 4 days The car didnt miss a beat 1352 miles round trip and 27.8 mpg. Is it perfect no but cant this kind of fun from many cars
Old 08-10-2016, 05:55 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jmhornz71
I bought my 08 ZHZ ( Hertz Rental model) coupe 2 years ago with 80k plus on it. Has it been trouble free nope. Replace the Harmonic balancer at about 106k miles and the radiator at about 110kmiles. Would I drive cross country probably just went from VA to Niagara falls and back in 4 days The car didnt miss a beat 1352 miles round trip and 27.8 mpg. Is it perfect no but cant this kind of fun from many cars
Not sure if any Corvette owner/lover in here is questioning the fun factor these cars provide. Thats why I have owned one all my adult life. I'm just sayun that the build quality leaves much to be desired.....
The following users liked this post:
WW7 (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 06:47 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I simply can't think of any car that has this amount of performance, where the cost to repair is so low....like a Chevy should be.

I've had Mercedes, Porsche 911's, Audi's and Jaguars....nothing comes close to repairs that need to happen and will happen. That's why I love my vette. Drive the snot out of it. If something breaks, I fix it. Hell, just very basic PM work on the other brands mentioned cost more than a HB replacement!

So yeah, stuff happens, but the bill to foot isn't so bad in the scheme of things. IMO.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by JDawg
I have a beautiful 2006 Corvette with only 60K miles and I am very disappointed in the quality of this car!!! I did not buy a new one because it is essentially a weekend car/toy for me. However, if you are still reading this, I want to thank everyone for their input on this site, because you have saved me tons of money and aggrevation on many little issues with this car. I have always drove imports and was looking at a Ford Mustand or a 370z before I purchased this car. I am thrilled that I waited and chose the corvette, but please, someone tell me, is this going to be a reliable car to take on road trips or just a money pit!!! I could name all of the things I have had problems with, but I won't put you through that.

Thanks in advance for any input on this topic!
JDawg
Some people have found their Corvette(s) to be very reliable. We absolutely love the way ours handles and performs, but...

We have owned three new Corvettes- 2001, 2006, 2009. They have been the three most troublesome cars I've owned in 50 years of driving, and each new one has been worse than the previous. We switched to Japanese about 30 years ago for our family cars, and our Corvettes continually reinforce that decision. Each of our Corvettes has needed more repairs in the first year than any of our Toyotas during their entire ~100k lifetime.

My solution is to never own a Corvette that is not under GM warranty- either the original 3/36, or a GMPP/GMEEP extended warranty. I just consider the extended warranty as part of the cost of buying the car. It's pricey at high miles, but we just extended the coverage on our 2009 (92k miles) out to 141k miles.

So far, we have "made money" on the extended warranty for each of our 'vettes, the current 2009 has paid us back about three times the cost of its original extended warranty.
This is particularly useful when (not if) something breaks on a long road trip. We just drop it at the nearest dealer, jump in the free rental car, and say "Call my cellphone when it's fixed."

For those who think I'm exaggerating, do a Search for my threads "One Year Report Card", "Two Year...", etc.

But we do still love it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gearhead Jim:
Gator113 (08-11-2016), WW7 (08-11-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 11:21 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Sorry noah...but its only a select few that are in denial and won't admit to the Corvettes downfalls. I've actually read post where a forum member will chime on about how great their car is. And then they will go on and say that they have only had to have this fixed...that replaced, and the thing-a-ma-jiggy re-done....twice. And then they will say how reliable the Corvette is. Hopefully you can get your issues fixed and have a relatively trouble free ownership. But just be prepared for a few pitfalls along the way....
So my theory and take on preowned corvettes is this, you can have one with 60k and drives like it has 20k and is still very reliable, you can have another corvette with 60k and it rides and drives like it has 200k. I believe this is from HOW it was driven that 60k. Mine had 21k and for a 2010, I consider that very low. I am very conscious of roads and the condition of the roads, expansion joints, railroad tracks, pot holes. I slow down and move to one side of joints and tracks because they are smoother there. Everyone drives in the middle so of course that's where the roughest parts are. I think about the shock the hud is going to take from the crappy roads and avoid just flying down the road and beating the snot out of my car. That's going to be my car with 60k and very little squeaking and rattling and a broken hud. You probably think I'm nuts but that's how I drive my vette. The ones with broken Huds and squeaks and rattles and nickel and dime the next owner were probably just driven like a Prius. Who cares about the road conditions, just a car.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:25 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

I believe the previous owner of my vette was conscious like me because the underside of my vette is spotless. No scrapes or road rash. When it was on the lift, I went all over it. Then on went the bloody skip shift eliminator! No more 1st to 4th BS!
Old 08-11-2016, 10:06 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rjhctrapp
So my theory and take on preowned corvettes is this, you can have one with 60k and drives like it has 20k and is still very reliable, you can have another corvette with 60k and it rides and drives like it has 200k. I believe this is from HOW it was driven that 60k. Mine had 21k and for a 2010, I consider that very low. I am very conscious of roads and the condition of the roads, expansion joints, railroad tracks, pot holes. I slow down and move to one side of joints and tracks because they are smoother there. Everyone drives in the middle so of course that's where the roughest parts are. I think about the shock the hud is going to take from the crappy roads and avoid just flying down the road and beating the snot out of my car. That's going to be my car with 60k and very little squeaking and rattling and a broken hud. You probably think I'm nuts but that's how I drive my vette. The ones with broken Huds and squeaks and rattles and nickel and dime the next owner were probably just driven like a Prius. Who cares about the road conditions, just a car.
I understand completely Trapp. I do a lot of the same things just to help preserve my baby. But a lot of the things that go wrong with these cars are just un acceptable, esp at such low mileage. Now help me out with one thing.....where do you live where everyone drives down the middle of the road....I want to stay away from there !!......
Old 08-11-2016, 03:59 PM
jarin12ga
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sorry!

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
Wow! A half mile dig from a stop light? Seems like that would have put you at something like 125 - 130+ on city streets.
Hey, it was my first race with my C6 and owned it 2 years! It may have not been a half mile. I live off a two laned road, there was no traffic at the time. I don't make a habit out it. I'm 40 years old and don't need any speeding surcharges on my insurance. I guess temptation got the best of me?? Plus I had to show the Ford 5.0 32 valve what a push rod can still do!!
Old 08-11-2016, 05:42 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by beachcomber
I simply can't think of any car that has this amount of performance, where the cost to repair is so low....like a Chevy should be.

I've had Mercedes, Porsche 911's, Audi's and Jaguars....nothing comes close to repairs that need to happen and will happen. That's why I love my vette. Drive the snot out of it. If something breaks, I fix it. Hell, just very basic PM work on the other brands mentioned cost more than a HB replacement!

So yeah, stuff happens, but the bill to foot isn't so bad in the scheme of things. IMO.
Well now i'm confused....cost of repair so low ?? Have you heard the price of having a new HB put on ? Have you heard the price of having a new shift cable put on ? Have you heard the price of having the fuel system worked on ?......need I go on....
Old 08-11-2016, 07:20 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Well now i'm confused....cost of repair so low ?? Have you heard the price of having a new HB put on ? Have you heard the price of having a new shift cable put on ? Have you heard the price of having the fuel system worked on ?......need I go on....
Have you heard the price of a brake job on a 911? Havr you heard the cost of electrical work on a Jaguar? I hear you, and it's all relative, which is why I was comparing to performance vehicles.

I'm saying in comparison to cars we are always compared against, yes....it's cheap.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:01 AM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

I understand completely Trapp. I do a lot of the same things just to help preserve my baby. But a lot of the things that go wrong with these cars are just un acceptable, esp at such low mileage. Now help me out with one thing.....where do you live where everyone drives down the middle of the road....I want to stay away from there !!......
So what I meant was the normal groves everyone drives in. Here I wa they are more like ditches. I'll move to the outside or inside of my lane where you can see not much traffic drives on.
Lol, I get what your saying. The only piece on my car suffering right now is the chin splitter. I thought the tow truck had damaged it but when I went to fix it, the nutcert is gone and the screw is relocated. So it got ripped off by the previous owner which is easy to do. I put it back on and the first time I parked it, out it came again. Time for a new splitter.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:46 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by beachcomber
Have you heard the price of a brake job on a 911? Havr you heard the cost of electrical work on a Jaguar? I hear you, and it's all relative, which is why I was comparing to performance vehicles.

I'm saying in comparison to cars we are always compared against, yes....it's cheap.
I understand what your trying to say. But I still don't think that a Chevy dealer charging a a grand to replace a shift cable is cheap just because Porsche wants 3 grand for the same job.....
Old 08-12-2016, 10:55 AM
Phantom Blur
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
I bought my 2006 new with 2 miles on the clock. In the 10+ years of ownership it boils down to this:

Battery at the 3 year mark
Headliner rip during the first year - replaced under warranty, been fine since
Cleaned the exterior door pads once around the 5 year mark
Transmission replaced at 34K miles for slipping 4-6 clutches. This was most likely self inflicted due to mods (supercharger).
Brake pad replacement x2. Originals had the dreaded Z51 squeal. Second was an upgrade from AC Delco ceramics to Hawk ceramics. Nothing worng with the Delcos.
Shifter cable broke last December.

I have just under 38K miles on the car. I plan on keeping it at least another 5 years.
Nice rides! Livin' the American Dream I see! So are you Crockett or Tubbs?

Last edited by Phantom Blur; 08-12-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:43 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

I understand what your trying to say. But I still don't think that a Chevy dealer charging a a grand to replace a shift cable is cheap just because Porsche wants 3 grand for the same job.....
I agree with that completely!

Quick Reply: Corvette Disappointment