C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

film inside headlight lens

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Vetteatlast
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default film inside headlight lens

Is there away to takeout one of the headlamps and be able to wipe the inside of the headlight lens , Ive owned the car for 6 months and it has driven me nutz because there is what looks like a film or dust inside the headlight lens on both sides, It is the only project I cant figure out how finish .any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 08-13-2016, 02:56 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteatlast
Is there away to takeout one of the headlamps and be able to wipe the inside of the headlight lens , Ive owned the car for 6 months and it has driven me nutz because there is what looks like a film or dust inside the headlight lens on both sides, It is the only project I cant figure out how finish .any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
I think we all have the " film" inside our lights . the headlight is not sealed so it lets moisture and sometimes bugs in

Heck there are posts on this board where people bought brand new lights from GM and they had dirt or were cloudy

Unfortunately, the lenses are glued on to the housing so the only way to get them off is to put it in the oven and heat it off which usually results in damage to the lenses , this is how people get them off when they are replacing their cloudy or damaged lenses

Which brings up the next point , if you do damage the lenses , they are not available any more ...... as GM stopped making them . RLSEBRING , a forum member who was selling them is trying to source them but so far he has not been able to locate any

Another member was successful in cutting his off and then regluing them as he wanted to paint them , but that might be to much of a chance to take now that if you were to mess it up you could not replace it

My lights look great but the coating was coming off , been looking for new lenses for a long time and finally I found what had to be the last set of Torch Red lights , they came off a car where they guy switched his out to black and the car only had 10,000 miles on it , its a gamble I know but ....

So in short , the answer right now is you might have to live with it

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 08-13-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:13 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Quite some time ago there was a detailed post here. Someone took out the headlights out, removed all bulbs and the circuitry and washed them through the socket halls. ( multi step). That part was detailed because you do not want to leave water spots in side the lenses. Do a search, hopefully you can find it.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:17 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
Quite some time ago there was a detailed post here. Someone took out the headlights out, removed all bulbs and the circuitry and washed them through the socket halls. ( multi step). That part was detailed because you do not want to leave water spots in side the lenses. Do a search, hopefully you can find it.
Maybe if you use ionized water??

I bet if someone here was successful it would make a lot of people happy

Dave
Old 08-13-2016, 03:23 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Maybe if you use ionized water??

I bet if someone here was successful it would make a lot of people happy

Dave
Yes, it was many steps, first with some gentle dish washer soap which does not leave film( like the electric dish washer soaps that clean and shine spotlessly) multi rinses and final rinse with distilled water, air blow. And once it dries overnight, take a look to make sure it is to your satisfaction, if not repeat process until perfect. If there is a will, there is a way.

Get notified of new replies

To film inside headlight lens

Quick Reply: film inside headlight lens