C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

defective FOB including trunk key inside C6- locked

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 07:45 AM
Frankster
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default defective FOB including trunk key inside C6- locked

Corvette gurus,

So, my fob wasn't working. But it was detected just fine by the c6 in the glove box slot. I could drive it. Stupidly, I took it out and put it in the tray with the trunk key on it too. Now the car is locked down. I only have one FOB. What do I do to get in the car?

Signed,
C6hucklehead.

A second question. This fob that only works in the glove box slot - ok so how do I program my new fob I am going to buy if the car wont detect the old fob unless it is in the slot? Instructions say leave the working fob in the car and put the new fob in the slot to get it to recognize and remember the code. I got trouble. help me

Last edited by Frankster; 08-20-2016 at 07:49 AM. Reason: msp
Old 08-20-2016, 08:13 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

You do have trouble, but it is fixable.
1) If you have OnStar, they can unlock the car for you.
2) The dealer can make a key for you with your Vin and proof of ownership. hopefully you do have access to the registration or a copy of it. Even a copy of your insurance card will have your name, vin # etc.

Finally a locksmith or a tow truck can get in the car using the tools at their disposal.

Once you get access to the FOB (as per any of the above) get the dealer to reprogram it for you.
or you can try it yourself
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html
Good Luck!

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 08-20-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:16 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Then replace the battery in your old FOB to get it working. Finally see the instruction sticky here for how to program new FOBs.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

Then replace the battery in your old FOB to get it working. Finally see the instruction sticky here for how to program new FOBs.
The fob will work in the glove box slot even if the battery in the fob is dead. Maybe that's why the only place the fob would work was in the glove box slot.

Then be sure you also have a 2nd working fob.

I'm sure you have more than 1 set of keys to the front door lock on your home. Why would you have only one fob for your car?
Old 08-20-2016, 04:16 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Then be sure you also have a 2nd working fob. I'm sure you have more than 1 set of keys to the front door lock on your home. Why would you have only one fob for your car?
...or go to Home Depot and get an A28 blank cut to match your trunk key for $3. That way you always have a spare to get you into your trunk if the battery dies...
Old 08-20-2016, 05:21 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

I wouldn't put too much faith in tow truck drivers. I've had a few that were completely confused that there's no regular lock in the door.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:27 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by AL_Jazz
...or go to Home Depot and get an A28 blank cut to match your trunk key for $3. That way you always have a spare to get you into your trunk if the battery dies...
I used blank # B106 [or B106P for the blank with the Plastic head]

Last edited by Bob Paris; 08-20-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:32 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
You do have trouble, but it is fixable.
1) If you have OnStar, they can unlock the car for you.
2) The dealer can make a key for you with your Vin and proof of ownership. hopefully you do have access to the registration or a copy of it. Even a copy of your insurance card will have your name, vin # etc.

Finally a locksmith or a tow truck can get in the car using the tools at their disposal.

Once you get access to the FOB (as per any of the above) get the dealer to reprogram it for you.
or you can try it yourself
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html
Good Luck!
If your car happens to be inside your garage, I don't think OnStar is accessible. Or at least it doesn't appear to me to be. I know XM radio shuts down as soon as I pull inside. I have a room above my garage, so if it's nothing but attic and roof it might be different.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:05 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Happen to me. I have AAA and called them. Within 1/2 an hour I was in the car. The guy made me a new key on the spot using my Vin on a GM web site. The site gave him the code for making cuts on a blank.

In my case the fob was in a trouser pants pockets inside a suitcase. It would not activate the unlock.

The Vin is viewed from like looking through the windshield on the driver's side.

Last edited by Boomer111; 08-20-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:23 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Happen to me. I have AAA and called them. Within 1/2 an hour I was in the car. The guy made me a new key on the spot using my Vin on a GM web site. The site gave him the code for making cuts on a blank.

In my case the fob was in a trouser pants pockets inside a suitcase. It would not activate the unlock.

The Vin is viewed from like looking through the windshield on the driver's side.
That sure makes me feel secure.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:28 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by simplegto
This this should make you really scared - http://www.lightinthebox.com/window-..._p3025654.html
Getting into a C6 is easy. Driving it away without a FOB is next to impossible and has never been reported even once.

Last edited by FortMorganAl; 08-21-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:34 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by simplegto
Well I needed to show him my ID and registration once entry was complete. I was in my brothers driveway, on vacation, and his truck was blocking my exit.

I suppose the access to the website is controlled nevertheless this technology exists.

I believe the Vin gives out three or four codes which represent a different cut along the key.

Hey it made my day.

I was surprised that the fobs signal, in working order, while being in a pants pocket and inside a carry duffle bag wasn't strong enough to give access to opening any door. I have it set to open when in near proximity.

Last edited by Boomer111; 08-21-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:55 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

...I was surprised that the fobs signal, in working order, while being in a pants pocket and inside a carry duffle bag wasn't strong enough to give access to opening any door. I have it set to open when in near proximity.
It wasn't the FOB's signal that was too weak. It was the car sending only a very weak signal from the transmit antenna closest to the door button you were pushing that couldn't be heard. Neither the FOBs nor the car have proximity sensors. The way it works is that when you push a button the car sends a weak challenge signal (range ~3 feet) from one of the 4 transmit antennas. If a FOB is close enough to that button then it hears the signal and sends a strong signal back to the car to accomplish the action. Try this. With a locked car put your FOB on the ledge just above the gas filler door. Now try to open the passenger door. Doesn't unlock, does it? Yet a proximity detector should see the FOB sitting on the car. Move the FOB to the passenger side and the driver's door won't unlock. The 4 transmit antennas are in the 2 B pillars, the glove box, and behind the rear bumper near the hatch button. Only the transmit antenna closest to the button will ever send a signal to activate the FOB response for opening doors, hatch, or starting. The FOB response goes to the single receive antenna in the center of the dash.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:16 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

By the way --- once in a while put the trunk key in & out & lube of some sort, the mechanism. It does get gunked up and a plastic key will not turn it to open !!!
Old 08-21-2016, 04:33 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Any fob that will start the car when it is in the glovebox slot is properly programmed to the car and doesn't need re-programming. Your symptoms are exactly that of a dead fob battery. Be very careful replacing it, get a second fob and metal key and test all metal keys to make sure they work in the trunk keyhole.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
It wasn't the FOB's signal that was too weak. It was the car sending only a very weak signal from the transmit antenna closest to the door button you were pushing that couldn't be heard. Neither the FOBs nor the car have proximity sensors. The way it works is that when you push a button the car sends a weak challenge signal (range ~3 feet) from one of the 4 transmit antennas. If a FOB is close enough to that button then it hears the signal and sends a strong signal back to the car to accomplish the action. Try this. With a locked car put your FOB on the ledge just above the gas filler door. Now try to open the passenger door. Doesn't unlock, does it? Yet a proximity detector should see the FOB sitting on the car. Move the FOB to the passenger side and the driver's door won't unlock. The 4 transmit antennas are in the 2 B pillars, the glove box, and behind the rear bumper near the hatch button. Only the transmit antenna closest to the button will ever send a signal to activate the FOB response for opening doors, hatch, or starting. The FOB response goes to the single receive antenna in the center of the dash.
Thanks, and now I know the rest of the story!!

I would think the the hatch would of opened, the duffel was near the rear...
Old 08-22-2016, 06:10 PM
HouseS2k
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Just happened to me also, luckily I was at home. Took out a right tail light, drilled out rivets holding the trunk key mech. Used a flat head to take c clip off the top and popped open housing and pulled the cable by hand. Put it all back together. Was open and put back together in about 30min.

Get notified of new replies

To defective FOB including trunk key inside C6- locked

Old 08-22-2016, 11:08 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Seems like a spare key would be a good idea...just like it was for a car in the 60's.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:32 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cclive
Seems like a spare key would be a good idea...just like it was for a car in the 60's.
Ah, but in the 60's you could use a coat hanger. I used to keep a folded coat hanger in the frame under the rear bumper. I wonder if the future owners ever found it and what they thought it was for if they did?
Old 08-25-2016, 10:36 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

...I would think the the hatch would of opened, the duffel was near the rear...
Nope. The door and hatch antennas are designed to talk to a FOB just outside and not inside. It has worked for some people though if the FOB is at the center and very back of the hatch area.

Quick Reply: defective FOB including trunk key inside C6- locked