C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to my baby?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:17 PM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What happened to my baby?

Last night I stopped at the market on my way home. When I started my car it was hard to start .The tach didn't work and all the warning lights lit up on the dash. The car felt like it was running on 4 cylinders.I shut the engine off and the service the transmission warning came on. The radio lost the stations also.The side mirrors were pointing toward the car. I started the car again and everything was normal. What happened? Today is Sunday and I can't get into the agency to have it checked.My car is a 2009 Coupe w/ Z51,stick shift,GPS radio. Any help would be greatly appreciated .Thanks for all replies. Rod please excuse me ,but it really shook me up
Old 08-28-2016, 12:22 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

The first thing I'd check is the condition of the car's battery. If it's the original one, go ahead and get a new one. I have a 2009 and replaced my battery a couple years ago.

Beyond that, I have no idea.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:25 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
The first thing I'd check is the condition of the car's battery. If it's the original one, go ahead and get a new one. I have a 2009 and replaced my battery a couple years ago.

Typical sign of the battery ready to give up.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:34 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Also, I doubt the dealer will find anything...it may be a waste of diagnostic money.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:35 PM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Default Battery

Originally Posted by RocketDawg

Thank you for the reply. I replaced the battery about 1 year ago. It seems my car eats batteries like mad. The second battery lasted about eight months.I will take it in Mon. and have it checked out. rod
Old 08-28-2016, 02:35 PM
BGCZO6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROD BROWN
Last night I stopped at the market on my way home. When I started my car it was hard to start .The tach didn't work and all the warning lights lit up on the dash. The car felt like it was running on 4 cylinders.I shut the engine off and the service the transmission warning came on. The radio lost the stations also.The side mirrors were pointing toward the car. I started the car again and everything was normal. What happened? Today is Sunday and I can't get into the agency to have it checked.My car is a 2009 Coupe w/ Z51,stick shift,GPS radio. Any help would be greatly appreciated .Thanks for all replies. Rod please excuse me ,but it really shook me up
Not to hijack your thread but not to start a new one. Had similar incident coming home from Carlisle. Cruisind on 78 at a good speed, everything going fine had a traffic tie up and no problems then the messages start. Service electrical, TPMS, LOW TIRE, ABS, SERVICE FUEL SYSTEM, RADIO kept switching from XM to CD, could not return to nav screen. All temperatures and pressures were normal, tires were all at 34. While stopped in traffic I turned off car and restarted, messages did not come back but the low tire and security armed light stayed on. I could not switch from touring to sport on ride selection. Eventually I was able to switch to sport. For the next 200 miles all seemed perfectly normal except for low tire and security armed. Tire pressure remained normal at 33-34 other readings perfect. At home restarted no more messages and the last 2 days the car is riding fine, no messages. The voltage always showed 14.3 it is the original battery about 4 years old.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:43 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the reply. I replaced the battery about 1 year ago. It seems my car eats batteries like mad. The second battery lasted about eight months.I will take it in Mon. and have it checked out. rod
If your car eats batteries, do you use a battery maintainer like a CTEK 3300 or similar? One might solve the problem.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:32 AM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Default ?

Originally Posted by jwf
If your car eats batteries, do you use a battery maintainer like a CTEK 3300 or similar? One might solve the problem.
I am not familiar with a CTEK 3300.What is it? Thanks,Rod
Old 08-29-2016, 10:48 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Like he said, it's a battery maintainer. Google it!

Actually, don't google it. Read THIS.

Last edited by EVRose; 08-29-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:52 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Do you drive the car on a daily basis or does it sit in the garage for 3-4 weeks. If it sits that long then you will need a battery tender

Last edited by enventr; 08-29-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:21 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I would pull the two plastic engine covers and check the connection of both ends of each spark plug wire.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:38 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rod, a CTEK 3300 is a low power batter charging device that you hook to your car when not driving that keeps your battery in top condition. It is especially helpful if you don't drive the car often or if you drive a lot of short trips. On a C6 it attaches easily by plugging the unit into an ac outlet and then plugging the other end into the cigarette lighter in the center console. I plug mine in anytime I am not driving the car and have had no battery issues on the original battery after almost 5 years. The device runs about $75 and is available from forum vendors or on Amazon. Also there are similar devices available that will work as well. I originally chose the CTEK because it is the device provided by Chevrolet if you order the battery protection option, but beyond that I was impressed by the info on the various web sites that talk about the CTEK, and of course since mine has worked trouble free since I bought my car. If you get one, get both the unit itself and also the attachment that allows it to plug into the 12v receptacle since the unit comes with ring lug and clip on attachments but not the cigarette lighter plug attachment. Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:53 PM
Red Tabby
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have the OnStar unit and do not use it, consider pulling the fuse for it. With you losing batteries often, there's got to be a reason and that is one possibility.

Here is a great thread describing the parasitic draw from OnStar:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ead-again.html
Old 08-31-2016, 12:10 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Time to sell..............

Get notified of new replies

To What happened to my baby?

Quick Reply: What happened to my baby?