C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First round of mods.. Wow!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 10:36 PM
08z51m6Ls3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cant wait to get her to the track and see what she MPH's.

Yall are making me want to take her to another shop for a dyno pull to compare. I know, different days, different temps etc but it would give me some kind of Idea if their dyno is just very optimistic.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:41 PM
08z51m6Ls3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking back, 413HP from longtubes and no cats doesn't seem off base though? The 40 hp gain from the tune is what is throwing everyone for a loop (me included). I feel like I've seen plenty of guys getting 30 out of a good dyno tune, maybe a great one is worth 40? Maybe he was too aggressive with the tune?

Who knows, I'm just happy with the results.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:56 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

So...you get 5-6 hp from lack of cats. Leaves question where is the rest coming from? Factory Freak you may be...I am jealous.
The following users liked this post:
08z51m6Ls3 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 10:59 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Although my knowledge is very old (like NSF) and sketchy, I don't think that larger diameter headers are necessarily better. Depending on the engine itself, additional mods, the best headers for any particular setup aren't necessarily the bigger ones.

As for what is best for stock LS engines, I have no clue.

But maybe the laws of physics have changed in recent decades, don't know.
I'll just state for the record what LG Headers says makes the most power for a stock LS3,*** 1 3/4" long tubes
1 7/8 for built motors
I'll take their word for it
And as stated by others the person running the dyno can make numbers what they want.
But if you think its right and are happy
Let us know if you run it OK, that sort of is the proof in the pudding
NSF
NSF
Old 08-29-2016, 11:00 PM
98Pace
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Your gain from your baseline is right where it should be. Headers (regardless of size) and a tune to take advantage of them should net you about 30-40. It's been well documented by a number of people on this forum and others. The larger primaries will reduce your torque down low a bit, but they certainly don't make a 30-40 hp difference from stock.

The 413 baseline is about 30-40 high though. Again, a ton of data backs up the 370-380 stock rwhp on the LS3 through an M6. That 30-40 hp is more easily explained by some unknown to you mod on the car rather than a factory freak slipping out with this much of an hp difference. Incidentally, 30-40 hp is about what a mild cam can net on an LS3. Every car that rolls out of Bowling Green is subjected to a dyno run as one of the final assembly steps, though I'm not sure what is done with the captured data. But it seems like this much of a factory freak would have shown up in their basic testing and not been let out the door.

Occam's Razor and all that, but I'd be willing to bet if the cam was pulled it's not a stock LS3 cam. And yea, to agree with the other guys, dyno numbers aren't really worth a thing. Timeslips are where it's at and I look forward to seeing what you can get out of it. Beyond that, I'm sure it's a blast to drive based on the torque curve you show. Enjoy it and keep the shiny side up.

Last edited by 98Pace; 08-29-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: First round of mods.. Wow!!