C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 01:12 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Any idea what the weight or performance is compared to other manufacturers?
Old 09-03-2016, 04:54 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by B-Vette
OP states about 6-8 lbs. lighter than stock setup. IHMO, given that it is axle-back (at least that's what the OP installed), performance gain probably isn't too much. My .02 is that it's more about "the sound" than any significant bhp or torque gains.

If one were to go with the muffler-delete version, probably some modest gain.

Last edited by OlyC6; 09-03-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:07 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm guessing that neither the CAT back or my cutouts will provide much in the way of actual power increase. I would guess that the bulk of the power robbing restriction is provided by the plethora of CATs in the exhaust system. If you wanted real power increase you'd place cutouts ahead of the CATs or gut the CATs, but the smog ***** would frown on that and you'd have to install dummy O2 sensors to fool the BCM.

Last edited by RagTop69; 09-03-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:50 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19
Default Shoot!

The eBay vendor just cancelled my order and refunded the money paid. So I guess I search for another source. eBay... what a mixed bag that is for buying stuff.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:06 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

OP

Just curious if you will be attending the Corvette show in Loudon TN? If so i would like to hear the exhaust in person. Thinking of switching from Corsa Sports to the blackheart.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:40 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OlyC6
The eBay vendor just cancelled my order and refunded the money paid. So I guess I search for another source. eBay... what a mixed bag that is for buying stuff.
You have mail. Check for a PM
The following users liked this post:
OlyC6 (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 08:53 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Mfg says they got something like 13 hp and tq. When I was a kid growing up on the coast, my father always said the fish salesman ALWAYS says he has FRESH FISH FOR SALE.

Originally Posted by z06scentair
OP

Just curious if you will be attending the Corvette show in Loudon TN? If so i would like to hear the exhaust in person. Thinking of switching from Corsa Sports to the blackheart.
I won't be there. But The Hookers are getting better all the time. Took a 100+ mile ride with the club over the weekend. lots of curves. But 90 miles back via interstate. Very little to no drone. Thats in the mountains. Flat lands where there is no heavy load and its even better. Wife has given them the Okay. So they are staying.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:57 AM
Iceman007
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

How's the new exhaust so far? You still liking the sound?
Old 09-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Has the "gurgle' returned, I like "gurgle" ?
NSF
Old 09-15-2016, 12:15 PM
Iceman007
Racer

Yeah when yall say gurgle I get the image in my head of my go fast boat with the 454 rumbling, if it sounds like that at idle I'm all in!!
Old 09-15-2016, 12:21 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Iceman007
How's the new exhaust so far? You still liking the sound?
I'm on vacation now and we took the family car rather than the Vette. (Family reasons) Anyway, Yes. I like it. My last post above gives my latest impression. Very deep sound. I think maybe about the deepest sound I've heard. Definitely deeper than Corsa. I think deeper than Borla too. But I haven't heard them side by side. So I'm guessing.

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Has the "gurgle' returned, I like "gurgle" ?
NSF
My stock had the gurgle. I had the better stock mufflers which weren't bad for stock. But their gurgle was like strangling a little girl. These are like strangling a T Rex.
At first, they may have been excessive IMO. Let off at 65mph and it gurgled the whole way down to stop. Now its not as excessive. Still there, but not as excessive IMO.
I think they mufflers have about 200 miles on them so I doubt they are broken in fully. But, IMO, they are headed in the right direction in every way. I wasn't sure if they were keepers until about the 4th day of driving them. Now, I'm sure they are keepers. I was planning on making a 550 mile trip in them but didn't because of family needs. But I was willing to make that trip because I am confident they will be drone free when completely broken in. They are 98% there now.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Iceman007
Racer

How are the 4" tips compared to say the BBs? They look pretty good?
Old 09-15-2016, 12:41 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

How are the 4" tips compared to say the BBs? They look pretty good?
I haven't compared them but the Hooker tips are nice. Round like the OEM but bigger. They look good
Old 09-15-2016, 12:50 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

When I get home I will try to post some sound clips and pictures. But anyone wanting a sport type sound without the drone and the high pricetag should consider these.

One Caveat is that my car is a convertible. So I have a trunk with a partition between it and the cabin. So I have more obstruction than a Coupe would have. So I don't know what they might sound like in a coupe.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:17 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Nice write up and review Hooker should put you on their board
NSF
Old 09-15-2016, 01:56 PM
Iceman007
Racer

Originally Posted by J Vette
When I get home I will try to post some sound clips and pictures. But anyone wanting a sport type sound without the drone and the high pricetag should consider these.

One Caveat is that my car is a convertible. So I have a trunk with a partition between it and the cabin. So I have more obstruction than a Coupe would have. So I don't know what they might sound like in a coupe.
Is that more a positive compared to a coupe? I've got a convertible and ride almost exclusively with top down when cruising.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:37 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Is that more a positive compared to a coupe? I've got a convertible and ride almost exclusively with top down when cruising.
I was thinking more about when the top is up. I drive hwy and interstate trips with top up.That's when you get drone if you're going to get it. Back curvy roads is where I travel most. Drone not even considered then. Sounds great to me then.

Get notified of new replies

To First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust

Old 09-15-2016, 02:48 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Nice write up and review Hooker should put you on their board
NSF
Thanks. I do enjoy making people aware of good bangs for the buck. Paying that Corvette tax gets old. So I'm just trying to get the word out to the Vette community. Right now these are a steal. I suspect once the sales start picking up, their prices will go up and align more closely with everyone elses. I think $ 1400+ is ridiculous pricing for the axle back. And there are so few good mufflers which sound good and don't drone badly on the hwy.

That said, I'd gladly accept a set of headers from them and maybe a set the bi mode to go with them.................unless the Blackhearts go nicely with the headers with no drone

Last edited by J Vette; 09-15-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:30 PM
Iceman007
Racer

Would definitely like to see some photos from different angles if your able to take them.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:45 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by J Vette
Thanks. I'm just trying to get the word out to the Vette community. Right now these are a steal. I suspect once the sales start picking up, their prices will go up and align more closely with everyone elses. I think $ 1400+ is ridiculous pricing for the axle back. And there are so few good mufflers which sound good and don't drone badly on the hwy.

That said, I'd gladly accept a set of headers from them and maybe a set the bi mode to go with them.................unless the Blackhearts go nicely with the headers with no drone
So are they like NPP ? switchable or did you say that and I missed it ??
NSF

Quick Reply: First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust