C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 07:21 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
So are they like NPP ? switchable or did you say that and I missed it ??
NSF
Hooker also makes a Bi Mode like the NPP. Mine are not the Bi Mode (NPP)
Old 09-15-2016, 08:29 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

NPP is the greatest thing since sliced bread, wouldn't be without it
NSF
Old 09-15-2016, 10:10 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
NPP is the greatest thing since sliced bread, wouldn't be without it
NSF
$600-$800-$1000 in my pocket is a pretty great thing too. There are used NPP's for sale here most every day. Apparently Some don't care for it. If I were buying new I'd opt for the option. But with an 07, I'd need the NPP in a box at $200 plus the extra cost of installation. I'd end up with an extra $1k in the NPP

I thought about the NPP. But then I just figured that all I really wanted was a good sounding system that didn't drone. I got it for $719. NPP would have cost me much more. That said, many are very happy with NPP
Old 09-16-2016, 06:01 PM
Iceman007
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

So can you install this exhaust without the hooker metal plate thing? I'm not too crazy bout that, looks kinda tacky I think.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:32 AM
J Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Iceman007
So can you install this exhaust without the hooker metal plate thing? I'm not too crazy bout that, looks kinda tacky I think.
I can't answer your question. You can't see the plate very easily. Even if you could, it may be a plus. Get a C6 emblem on Ebay for about $15 and fasten it over the Hooker Name plate. Voila You have a muffler plate similar to what costs $60.

Besides, anyone in the know may think you have Hoooker headers because THAT is what they are most known for. It may keep some of the Ricers and mustangs from challenging you at every mile. They may think you are running a lot more engine and leave you alone
Old 09-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Iceman007
Racer

Gotcha that's cool. I think I'm pretty close to purchasing this exhaust. Talked to my exhaust I use for my trucks and they said 100 bucks to install. I was thinking the name plate was more noticeable but that's cool if it's hidden a bit. Just don't like feeling like I'm a rolling advertisement lol. Did you get any photos of your setup? Possibly from different angles?
Old 09-17-2016, 12:09 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Gotcha that's cool. I think I'm pretty close to purchasing this exhaust. Talked to my exhaust I use for my trucks and they said 100 bucks to install. I was thinking the name plate was more noticeable but that's cool if it's hidden a bit. Just don't like feeling like I'm a rolling advertisement lol. Did you get any photos of your setup? Possibly from different angles?
Not yet. Just got back late last night. Unpacking and unwinding now.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:47 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19
Default Finally available!!!

Man... talk about "back order..."! I've been waiting patiently for almost (a total of) 9 weeks and just heard that the back order is over and mine should ship tomorrow!! Can't wait to get this on the rig.

Last edited by OlyC6; 05-30-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Iceman007
Racer

Originally Posted by OlyC6
Man... talk about "back order..."! I've been waiting patiently for about 9 weeks and just heard that the back order is over and mine should ship tomorrow!! Can't wait to get this on the rig.
Wow that is a long wait for an exhaust system! I ended up getting the flowmaster kit and they sound pretty good could be a bit louder but other than that the larger tips look great as well! Excited to see how yours comes out!
Old 12-06-2016, 01:59 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Wow that is a long wait for an exhaust system! I ended up getting the flowmaster kit and they sound pretty good could be a bit louder but other than that the larger tips look great as well! Excited to see how yours comes out!
If you can, please post an audio clip of your new Flowmaster sound... (I'll do the same when I get my Hookers on...)

As far as a long wait, I was a bit put-off since the names "Holley & Hooker" have a good rep... but maybe file this under, "Sometimes even monkeys fall out of trees..."

Update: Whoo hoo... box has arrived!! Install tomorrow AM!
Name:  WP_20161213_14_59_39_Pro_zpsv4jmrzja.jpg
Views: 4097
Size:  148.8 KB

Last edited by OlyC6; 12-13-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:19 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Default Installed... 1st impressions

2 hr install at local Vette Shop. As I got dropped off and saw the back of the car... "WOW" the larger tips really fill-in the back nicely... just what I was wanting.

Name:  Hooker%20Blackheart%2001_zpsqrfrakdd.jpg
Views: 4370
Size:  149.2 KB

Name:  Hooker%20Blackheart%2002_zpsafmaclrv.jpg
Views: 4396
Size:  160.1 KB

First engine start / idle: Just enough "burble" and "Dat Vette Noise" I was looking for. IMHO, people will turn their heads and think "Nice" but not "OMGosh that's loud...".

Pulling out for the first time...
I have Auto Trans, so the shop tells me to expect a bit of a drone in lower gears as RPMs climb (1,500 - 3,000).... yup... hearing that and I like it.... my own little version of "Mild to Wild" -- especially with a strong launch or a rolling "git down the road..." spurt.

The shop says to live with it a while... and if it just gets more annoying over time, they recommend an aftermarket X-pipe to help smooth out the exhaust pulse and such.... (good idea... was my Plan B if I thought it was too much drone).

Got it out on the hwy.... took the rig up to 70 and with the tach settling in around 1400-1500, very little drone. But kick the skinny pedal and the snarl is pretty satisfying IMHO. Settled in at one point to about 50 mph @ about 1.1K rpm and could barely make out the exhaust sound... and I'm in a Vert.

Nice write-up on system - good pix.

I'm happy, my wallet is happy (great price; speedinc.com)... just hoping the Mrs. doesn't say, "Hey! Did you spend more $$ on that dang Vette!!??"

Update: Wife and I went for a long drive... streets and hwy... no "complaints" but certainly some comments about how much "louder" the car is now. Tried to downplay it a bit... but honestly... when I jump on the throttle... the "wild" is up-front-and-center! But overall, she didn't seem to be too annoyed... and a couple of times when I jumped on the throttle, she smiled.... (she's a keeper!)

Heading out on a 5 day road trip to SoCal for Christmas... this will be a good acid-test for hours and hours of exposure to the sound.... will update...

D-1: About 400 miles... hwy, state routes, OR coast route (winding roads)... with a lot of gear changing in the turns, there is quite a bit of exhaust sound as the revs climb... but boy I love the sound! I'm assuming that the sound will mellow over time (use), so it will be interesting to compare today to "months/years" down the line.

D-2 to D-5: Almost 2K miles on the clock and all-in-all, I can live with the "sound" when in lower gears and higher revs... it's a good exhaust note and a few time when I think I was getting tired of it (lots of stop and go up-shift / down shift = more sound) I just turned up the radio a tad and all is good.

Last edited by OlyC6; 12-27-2016 at 09:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OlyC6:
Mr.Nubain (05-29-2017), Vetteran63 (02-01-2019)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:57 AM
gjjcvette
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 hr install at local Vette Shop. As I got dropped off and saw the back of the car... "WOW" the larger tips really fill-in the back nicely... just what I was wanting.

First engine start / idle: Just enough "burble" and "Dat Vette Noise" I was looking for. IMHO, people will turn their heads and think "Nice" but not "OMGosh that's loud...".

Pulling out for the first time...
I have Auto Trans, so the shop tells me to expect a bit of a drone in lower gears as RPMs climb (1,500 - 3,000).... yup... hearing that and I like it.... my own little version of "Mild to Wild" -- especially with a strong launch or a rolling "git down the road..." spurt.

The shop says to live with it a while... and if it just gets more annoying over time, they recommend an aftermarket X-pipe to help smooth out the exhaust pulse and such.... (good idea... was my Plan B if I thought it was too much drone).

Got it out on the hwy.... took the rig up to 70 and with the tach settling in around 1400-1500, very little drone. But kick the skinny pedal and the snarl is pretty satisfying IMHO. Settled in at one point to about 50 mph @ about 1.1K rpm and could barely make out the exhaust sound... and I'm in a Vert.

Nice write-up on system - good pix.

I'm happy, my wallet is happy (great price; speedinc.com)... just hoping the Mrs. doesn't say, "Hey! Did you spend more $$ on that dang Vette!!??"

Update: Wife and I went for a long drive... streets and hwy... no "complaints" but certainly some comments about how much "louder" the car is now. Tried to downplay it a bit... but honestly... when I jump on the throttle... the "wild" is up-front-and-center! But overall, she didn't seem to be too annoyed... and a couple of times when I jumped on the throttle, she smiled.... (she's a keeper!)

Heading out on a 5 day road trip to SoCal for Christmas... this will be a good acid-test for hours and hours of exposure to the sound.... will update...

D-1: About 400 miles... hwy, state routes, OR coast route (winding roads)... with a lot of gear changing in the turns, there is quite a bit of exhaust sound as the revs climb... but boy I love the sound! I'm assuming that the sound will mellow over time (use), so it will be interesting to compare today to "months/years" down the line.

D-2 to D-5: Almost 2K miles on the clock and all-in-all, I can live with the "sound" when in lower gears and higher revs... it's a good exhaust note and a few time when I think I was getting tired of it (lots of stop and go up-shift / down shift = more sound) I just turned up the radio a tad and all is good.
Great Review... Any updates? How about when driving around town, in the frequent the 1600 to 2000 RMS range (1st to 2nd, ...2nd to 3rd shifts)? Do you get the annoying drone?
Old 01-29-2017, 07:39 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Originally Posted by gjjcvette
Great Review... Any updates? How about when driving around town, in the frequent the 1600 to 2000 RMS range (1st to 2nd, ...2nd to 3rd shifts)? Do you get the annoying drone?
After several weeks, I will admit that the day-to-day street driving in lower gears (and higher revs) is a tad loud. How loud? Well, I'm considering adding some noise dampening insulation in my Vert to "bring it down a bit...". But... that said, when I'm in the correct "mood," the "noise" is a joyful one when I aggressively "throttle-up." Am I conflicted? A bit... I'm going to give it some more time before making any decision.

Best part of the noise as it is now.... when I start the car... love the snarl.... and the "Oh yeah" look from people when they hear the sound. Have received lots of "thumbs-up" over the last several weeks. One comment received..."Now THAT's the sound of a V8!"
Old 01-29-2017, 10:56 PM
chevyvette1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 347 Likes on 163 Posts

We need some videos boys I am so close to pulling the trigger. I have had Corsa in past and LOVE them......but can see spending $1200 or $1300...
Old 01-30-2017, 11:53 AM
OlyC6
Pro

Originally Posted by chevyvette1
We need some videos boys I am so close to pulling the trigger. I have had Corsa in past and LOVE them......but can see spending $1200 or $1300...
IMHO, these are comparable to the Corsa exhaust. BTW... one thing I learned AFTER the purchase.... IF you want an X-pipe from Hooker, buy the complete X-pipe and Axle-back "package". Apparently one cannot add a Hooker X-pipe to a stand-alone Hooker Axle-back with OEM Headers/Cat setup.

Bottom line... this is a value product considering the build-quality and overall sound (again, IMHO). (The 4" tips are almost worth the price of admission!)

Edit: Here's a video.... remember this is shot with a digital camera.... mic quality is so-so... it really does sound "better" than what you're going to hear.

Last edited by OlyC6; 02-02-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:12 PM
chevyvette1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 347 Likes on 163 Posts

After doing some more research and speaking with Holly Performance I see they basically have 3 catbacks...one with no mufflers, I think $600, one with mufflers for $800, and another with mufflers AND a resonater for $1000..... which set did you guys get?? With or without resonater??

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:12 PM
OlyC6
Pro

After doing some more research and speaking with Holly Performance I see they basically have 3 catbacks...one with no mufflers, I think $600, one with mufflers for $800, and another with mufflers AND a resonater for $1000..... which set did you guys get?? With or without resonater??

Thanks!
I went with this one...
https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../70401315-RHKR

Notable: MSRP is now down to what I paid from online vendor in late 2016.

And... their website info is a tad confusing because the one I have says it has, "High tech Helmholtz Style resonators control interior resonance and allow a more aggressive exhaust note while providing a drone free experience at cruising speeds"

and the description for the $999 one says..
"High tech Helmholtz style resonator for reduced interior resonance at cruising speeds"

So, assuming both are correct, they both have some some type (or the same) Helmholtz resonator.

Get notified of new replies

To First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust

Old 02-02-2017, 01:18 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Default LOL - sound deadening on the cheap....

Earlier in this thread, I made mention that the exhaust sound in low gears (and rising revs) was a "tad too much." Perhaps to clarify... there just seemed to be a really hard "edge" to the sound when accelerating -- and especially if I was "standing on it."

Well, this is going to sound so silly, but yesterday, I was using a Harbor Freight coupon to pickup some additional 72 x 80 "Movers Blankets" ($5.99 with coupon). I bought two of them... also got my free pack of AA Batteries (whoo hooo!), and put everything onto the floor of the Vert's trunk.

Well, guess what? Those two folded-up blankets actually helped deaden the sound bouncing around the empty trunk (which is basically a rectangular sound box) enough that the previously mentioned "edge" is gone. I still get "da sound" in all it's glory, but the "harshness" is down by about 15-20% (IMO); just enough for me. (YMMV...)

Name:  72x80_Padding_zpsbpldfgow.jpg
Views: 4118
Size:  185.7 KB

99% of the time, the trunk is empty... so not a big deal. And if we do a trip that requires luggage/bags in the back... then I'll take the blankets out (to gain a couple of inches of space...) since the luggage/bags will do the same thing (stop sound from bouncing around "the sound box").

So, I'm putting on hold the idea of spending over $200 for special sound deadening pads ("Designed exclusively for the Corvette!) to put in the trunk and behind the seats (the pads stick-on the carpeting). I might even try getting another 72x80 pad.... cutting it in half and sewing the open ends closed.... and try placing the two pads behind the seats to see if that helps deaden (soften) some of the noise coming from the rear wheel wells.

Scroll back up a bit... I've edited a previous post with a video.

EDIT: Ended getting a set of sound deadening mats from TKO... the behind the seat pieces just "drop-in" behind the seat (gray side towards carpeting). On my Vert, I ended up cutting off 10" of the "front edge" to get the mat to sit-in the trunk area. Just used a straight-edge and marker to indicate cut-line, put a piece of material under the material and free-hand cut along the line. The material cuts easily and once the "extra" section was off, the front edge slid in under the convertible partition easily.

Definitely a difference in deadening level compared to the mover's blanket... but as stated earlier, if budget is a concern, the blanket approach gets one almost to the same level as the TKO mats.

Last edited by OlyC6; 02-25-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:37 PM
OlyC6
Pro

We need some videos boys
Video up... scroll up to find link in previous post.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:06 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Earlier in this thread, I made mention that the exhaust sound in low gears (and rising revs) was a "tad too much." Perhaps to clarify... there just seemed to be a really hard "edge" to the sound when accelerating -- and especially if I was "standing on it."

Well, this is going to sound so silly, but yesterday, I was using a Harbor Freight coupon to pickup some additional 72 x 80 "Movers Blankets" ($5.99 with coupon). I bought two of them... also got my free pack of AA Batteries (whoo hooo!), and put everything onto the floor of the Vert's trunk.

Well, guess what? Those two folded-up blankets actually helped deaden the sound bouncing around the empty trunk (which is basically a rectangular sound box) enough that the previously mentioned "edge" is gone. I still get "da sound" in all it's glory, but the "harshness" is down by about 15-20% (IMO); just enough for me. (YMMV...)

99% of the time, the trunk is empty... so not a big deal. And if we do a trip that requires luggage/bags in the back... then I'll take the blankets out (to gain a couple of inches of space...) since the luggage/bags will do the same thing (stop sound from bouncing around "the sound box").

So, I'm putting on hold the idea of spending over $200 for special sound deadening pads ("Designed exclusively for the Corvette!) to put in the trunk and behind the seats (the pads stick-on the carpeting). I might even try getting another 72x80 pad.... cutting it in half and sewing the open ends closed.... and try placing the two pads behind the seats to see if that helps deaden (soften) some of the noise coming from the rear wheel wells.

Scroll back up a bit... I've edited a previous post with a video.

EDIT: Ended getting a set of sound deadening mats from TKO... the behind the seat pieces just "drop-in" behind the seat (gray side towards carpeting). On my Vert, I ended up cutting off 10" of the "front edge" to get the mat to sit-in the trunk area. Just used a straight-edge and marker to indicate cut-line, put a piece of material under the material and free-hand cut along the line. The material cuts easily and once the "extra" section was off, the front edge slid in under the convertible partition easily.

Definitely a difference in deadening level compared to the mover's blanket... but as stated earlier, if budget is a concern, the blanket approach gets one almost to the same level as the TKO mats.
Good write ups and info on your part Oly. I am somewhat surprised that you feel the need to deaden the cabin. Mine have broken in very nicely. I went to the Corvette Expo last weekend and no drone to speak of on the hwy. I drove with the radio off. Around town they are fantastic as well. I usually use my paddle shifters and drive in 4th in a 45mph speed limit. Sometimes 5th. But that's usually very close to the 1k RPM where the tranny will downshift automatically.

All that said, I wondering if you drive with the paddle shifters or use the auto mode. And if you do, that may make the difference in our differences of needing deadening. Just a guess. But do you use your paddle shifters? Or use the auto? FWIW we have the same cars being 07 convertibles. I can't imagine the feature pkgs making a difference. But mine is a 3LT. And I have the magnetic suspension. Agaion, just a guess. I can't imagine one pkg having more sound deadening in the cabin that the other. But anything is possible.

Also, thanks for the sound clips so far. I meant to put some up. I have a couple of in cabin driving on the hwy that I need to post but have been either busy or sick or playing catch up all winter. I'll try to get those vids up in the next few days.

All that said, IMO, these are definite keepers. IMO they may not be quite as quiet in the cabin as the Corsa. However they are very close. But I'm going from memory from driving a friends car a few years back. The sound of these is better than Corsa IMO. They give the sound of pistons going up and down rather than a monotone consistent tone like the Corsa's do.(Outboard engine sound) Again, this is my subjective opinion. This is not a knock on those who like the Corsa sound. I like the Hooker better and would not trade them for Corsa in an even trade. YMMV

I'll try to get some vids up soon. Fighting some illness right now.

Last edited by J Vette; 03-23-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust