C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 08:29 PM
cb1980
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am looking at the model without mufflers or resonators (was originally looking at SLP but these are a good $100 less) I am wondering if the exhaust plate hooker provides is mandatory? in looking at at blown up pic it appears to mount to the tabs to keep the exhaust from moving around

I have an exhaust plate that came with the car so I am not out any money if it is required but if not, I would rather use the plate I have now

thanks in advance
The following users liked this post:
Mr.Nubain (05-29-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by cb1980
I am looking at the model without mufflers or resonators (was originally looking at SLP but these are a good $100 less) I am wondering if the exhaust plate hooker provides is mandatory? in looking at at blown up pic it appears to mount to the tabs to keep the exhaust from moving around
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/exh...ne-c6-exhaust/
Check out this site.... pictures at the end of the tutorial seem to point to the Hooker bracket acting as some sort of brace between the two tip sections. I'd guess that any type of "plate" could be fabricated to do the same function, but it's all in the eye of the beholder if the "look" will work.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:47 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Originally Posted by J Vette
Good write ups and info on your part Oly. I am somewhat surprised that you feel the need to deaden the cabin. Mine have broken in very nicely. I went to the Corvette Expo last weekend and no drone to speak of on the hwy. I drove with the radio off. Around town they are fantastic as well. I usually use my paddle shifters and drive in 4th in a 45mph speed limit. Sometimes 5th. But that's usually very close to the 1k RPM where the tranny will downshift automatically.

All that said, I wondering if you drive with the paddle shifters or use the auto mode. And if you do, that may make the difference in our differences of needing deadening. Just a guess. But do you use your paddle shifters? Or use the auto? FWIW we have the same cars being 07 convertibles. I can't imagine the feature pkgs making a difference. But mine is a 3LT. And I have the magnetic suspension. Agaion, just a guess. I can't imagine one pkg having more sound deadening in the cabin that the other. But anything is possible.

All that said, IMO, these are definite keepers. IMO they may not be quite as quiet in the cabin as the Corsa. However they are very close. But I'm going from memory from driving a friends car a few years back. The sound of these is better than Corsa IMO. They give the sound of pistons going up and down rather than a monotone consistent tone like the Corsa's do.(Outboard engine sound) Again, this is my subjective opinion. This is not a knock on those who like the Corsa sound. I like the Hooker better and would not trade them for Corsa in an even trade. YMMV
Thanks for the props on the write-up. I too think these are keepers and as stated before... quite the value. The sound deadening is for when I jump on the skinny pedal... there is a definite shrill sound that almost hurts my ears. (YMMV...) The TKO pads have definitely taken the edge off of that! And as you note, there is no "drone" (IMHO) so if there is any downside to the TKO pads, it's that the great sound at easy-cruising RPMs is a tad less. Solution? Put the top down!

Anyway, glad you like'em too. I've only got about 5K miles on the exhaust, so maybe with a bit more time and miles, the sound will mellow out a bit.

Last edited by OlyC6; 03-24-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:31 PM
cb1980
Instructor

Originally Posted by OlyC6
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/exh...ne-c6-exhaust/
Check out this site.... pictures at the end of the tutorial seem to point to the Hooker bracket acting as some sort of brace between the two tip sections. I'd guess that any type of "plate" could be fabricated to do the same function, but it's all in the eye of the beholder if the "look" will work.
thanks for the link and info, it seemed to me like the plate was a brace for the exhaust and I did see Hooker sells one on their site that is "plain" and doesn't say hooker on it.

I was just partial to my exhaust plate that came on the car, but if I have to ditch it then so be it
Old 05-01-2017, 05:02 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

So how are tho pipes sounding ? They look interesting...
Old 05-01-2017, 05:11 PM
cb1980
Instructor

not sure yet, haven't pulled the trigger but found a set locally, guy bought them and hated them in his vert, said way too loud, no complaints of drone though, waiting to hear back from him on doing a deal for them, if not I will be ordering from a vendor on here
Old 05-01-2017, 06:03 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Default "Opinions vary..."

Like a lot of things in life, trying to find an objective way to determine if something is "too _____ (much, loud, expensive...) is tough.

IMHO, the Hooker sound is "just about right...". Definitely louder than stock (which is barely enough IMO, but must certainly meet DOT standards for allowable "noise.") And, not as obnoxiously loud as some others I've heard.

What is "too loud" for someone might be "just right" for someone else. The only way to know for sure is to find someone (hopefully near you...) who has the setup you're trying to evaluate and check it out for yourself. Maybe check with Hooker and see if they're going to have demo cars at local or regional car shows so you can hear one on a Vette.

If you can't check it out personally, it's just a roll of the dice if you're going to be happy with the results.

Edit 5/6: My gauge of whether the sound is "working..." -- the Mrs. and I went to a monthly Cars and Caffeine event on Saturday morning and as we pulled in and backed into a parking slot, a bunch of spectators immediately walked over... with a bunch of them taking pix and video of the back of the rig. And then, after getting out... time to answer some questions... So.... I'm pretty sure I've got a good sound mix!

Last edited by OlyC6; 05-07-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:01 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

I took the plung.. I have them on order.. Suppose to be a 3 week wait before shipped..
Im sure ill like them.. ill keep ya all posted on my thoughts.
The following users liked this post:
OlyC6 (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 08:44 PM
cb1980
Instructor

I ended up doing a deal with a local guy for a set without mufflers or resonators, hoping to get them installed in the next week or two
Old 05-05-2017, 01:29 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cb1980
I ended up doing a deal with a local guy for a set without mufflers or resonators, hoping to get them installed in the next week or two
Seems they will be loud... Maybe to loud. Straight pipe ??
Old 05-05-2017, 05:55 PM
cb1980
Instructor

Originally Posted by carls2004
Seems they will be loud... Maybe to loud. Straight pipe ??
I am hoping they will be loud, every vehicle I own has a modified exhaust and I don't mind it at all, I went with this one because I heard a few other C5 / C6's with exhaust at car shows and they weren't that loud, my C4 was headers, high flow cats and chambered X pipe with no mufflers, I got the car that way and loved the sound
Old 05-30-2017, 05:04 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Default still waiting..

Still waiting for Hooker to get shipment out.. on the blackheart.. Was told there was a delay on the tip's.. And as i write this i see they moved ship date to 6/13/17..
Not good for business in my mind.. Ordered them on the 5/2/17
If they keep it up ill just get a refund and try these...Figure why not...try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-C6-...JX0tur&vxp=mtr
Old 05-30-2017, 08:15 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Still waiting for Hooker to get shipment out.. on the blackheart.. Was told there was a delay on the tip's.. And as i write this i see they moved ship date to 6/13/17..
Not good for business in my mind.. Ordered them on the 5/2/17
If they keep it up ill just get a refund and try these...Figure why not...try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-C6-...JX0tur&vxp=mtr
I feel your pain.... I had to wait several weeks after ordering as their manufacturing tried to keep pace with orders. I actually ordered twice... 1st time it was 6 weeks back ordered... the company refunded $$ and then I ordered again a couple of weeks later (diff company) and it took about 9 weeks for it to show up. (I actually saved a few bucks with 2nd order...) Based on the 1st attempt, I knew it was going to be a waiting game... but I was in no rush.

Last edited by OlyC6; 05-30-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:16 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

I feel your pain.... I had to wait several weeks after ordering as their manufacturing tried to keep pace with orders. I actually ordered twice... 1st time it was 6 weeks back ordered... the company refunded $$ and then I ordered again a couple of weeks later (diff company) and it took about 9 weeks for it to show up. (I actually saved a few bucks with 2nd order...) Based on the 1st attempt, I knew it was going to be a waiting game... but I was in no rush.
I gave them a little crap on youtube.... lol...
And as i wright this.. i see their web page say's in stock now..... lmao
Old 05-31-2017, 08:39 PM
OlyC6
Pro

I gave them a little crap on youtube.... lol... And as i wright this.. i see their web page say's in stock now..... lmao
Good for you! Keep'em on their toes... if they want to succeed with this they need to get their distribution up to snuff!

BTW... a fellow C6'er bought my OEM mufflers/tips cuz he's gone through 5 different (high-end) systems (Flowmaster, Corsa, etc.) and he is actually going to try modding the OEM setup to get what he wants (sound/volume wise). He asked to hear my setup. He really like it... and described it in a way I hadn't thought about.... he said it has a "European flavor..." -- especially when I rev'd up the RPMs. So yet another unsolicited favorable opinion on the sound of these puppies.

Good luck with your delivery and install!
Old 05-31-2017, 08:46 PM
Kevjud
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a set on my base 2012 vert and am really happy with them. They are loud during acceleration but quiet down when cruising. No noticable drone. Great system for the money.

Last edited by Kevjud; 06-01-2017 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-31-2017, 08:54 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Good for you! Keep'em on their toes... if they want to succeed with this they need to get their distribution up to snuff!

BTW... a fellow C6'er bought my OEM mufflers/tips cuz he's gone through 5 different (high-end) systems (Flowmaster, Corsa, etc.) and he is actually going to try modding the OEM setup to get what he wants (sound/volume wise). He asked to hear my setup. He really like it... and described it in a way I hadn't thought about.... he said it has a "European flavor..." -- especially when I rev'd up the RPMs. So yet another unsolicited favorable opinion on the sound of these puppies.

Good luck with your delivery and install!
They actually asked me to fill out form from their sight on my issue.. And form wont send unless you fill all the blanks.... cam lobes ,, rpm, compression, ect... lmao.. And all i wanna know is when exhaust will ship...

Get notified of new replies

To First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust

Old 06-01-2017, 12:04 PM
OlyC6
Pro

They actually asked me to fill out form from their sight on my issue.. And form wont send unless you fill all the blanks.... cam lobes ,, rpm, compression, ect... lmao.. And all i wanna know is when exhaust will ship...
I know... their website "Contact Us" form is the worst I've ever seen! I surprised they don't ask for blood and urine samples. I ended up just emailing them direct and pestered them until they responded.

Last edited by OlyC6; 06-01-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:48 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

I know... their website "Contact Us" form is the worst I've ever seen! I surprised they don't ask for blood and urine samples. I ended up just emailing them direct and pestered them until they responded.
WOW.. Exhaust show's it is on it's way and be here tomorrow... wow, ups must be on their toe's... lol
Now wish me luck that all is fine when it gets here...
Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 PM
cb1980
Instructor

good luck, hope it all works out for you

Quick Reply: First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust