C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choice between these Tires

Old 09-23-2016, 01:55 PM
sjgrimsley
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

My experience between the two brands in question is from a Mercedes dealership where I used to be a tech. The Conti's wear, ride, grip, and last better than the Hankooks.
My $.02. YMMV
Old 09-23-2016, 04:36 PM
MarkB3
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Wait, what, you got the tires, taxes, mounted and balanced, TPMS rebuilt, AND alignment for $1015-$100 for a total of $915,
WOW, that is one hell of a deal
I ordered them today from Discount Tire and with the items mentioned plus road force balanced, they are at $1059 (then the $100 rebate) BUT NO ALIGNMENT That's like another $100 last time I checked so you did good REAL GOOD
NSF
I didn't do TPMS sensors. And if I had it to do over again I would not have had this company do alignment either. I found an indie shop that specializes in BMW's and Mercedes and are familiar with vettes. They have a Hunter alignment system and they do road force balancing. Also wheel straightening. With the roads in Maine being the third world roads that they are, wheel straightening and alignment/road force balancing are annual events.

When I put the Hankooks on in May, I had a slight vibration at 85 and up. (The GY's I replaced vibrated at 55+) Road force balancing and wheel straightening cured it completely, at least to 125.
The following users liked this post:
Not So Fast (09-23-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,439 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Yes it would be interesting to do a "BLIND" tire test where people got in and drove their car with several different make of tires on it and then quiz them on if they could tell the difference and pick what tire was what.....
That would certainly remove the bias factor
Old 09-24-2016, 02:29 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I trashed my GY runcraps and went Nitto Invos,never had a better performance tire on any Vette I have ever owned.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:41 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,648 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by DOOKEY
Ever bothered to look at your door card? 30psi my man. 34-35psi cold will grow even more causing you to run in the center of the tire and decreasing your contact patch.

Might I ask why you would want to run that much more?
First, did you miss where I said the tires were on another vehicle? Next, you can run any pressure you want as long as you don't over inflate and wear the center of the tread excessively. The extra psi helped stiffen up the squirmy sidewall. I have always preferred to run a few psi more than the manufacturer's door recommends. It's a free world and I will decide what psi I want to run in my tires, thank you! Now go back to driving your Explorer with the recommended 28 psi in your tires.......
Old 09-24-2016, 05:51 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
First, did you miss where I said the tires were on another vehicle? Next, you can run any pressure you want as long as you don't over inflate and wear the center of the tread excessively. The extra psi helped stiffen up the squirmy sidewall. I have always preferred to run a few psi more than the manufacturer's door recommends. It's a free world and I will decide what psi I want to run in my tires, thank you! Now go back to driving your Explorer with the recommended 28 psi in your tires.......
I did miss it.

I've had both brands on other vehicles. DWS rather than DW but basically the same tire. Hankook was the same tire. The Continental will be quiter but as noted the sidewalls are softer and ultimate handling will suffer. You can tweak this some by increasing the tire pressure a couple of psi. The Hankooks were great tires all around. My choice between the two would easily be the Hankooks.
I don't drive hard all the time but do when I want to. I settled on 34-35 psi as a good balance. BTW, your description of the squirm is spot on!
Cold

But damn dude. You shouldn't take stuff so personal. I asked you a simple question. You gave a small bit of info that helps me understand your position and a bunch of clatter that didn't make me want to listen to it at all.

The way I read your comments led me to believe you had them on your vette. Which would have been relevant to this conversation.

Last edited by DOOKEY; 09-24-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:02 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,648 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by DOOKEY
I did miss it.

But damn dude. You shouldn't take stuff so personal. I asked you a simple question. You gave a small bit of info that helps me understand your position and a bunch of clatter that didn't make me want to listen to it at all.

The way I read your comments led me to believe you had them on your vette. Which would have been relevant to this conversation.
Not trying to be an a$$. My main point is that the OEM does not always know best. Ford specified 28 psi in the Explorers to give a better ride because they designed it with a stiff suspension. 28 psi gave very little safety factor, which led to blowouts from low psi (because people don't check their tires). I owned one of those Explorers and never ran less than 32 psi in it. I've been a car guy all my life and have been driving for 41 years now. No harm, no foul, sorry if my intention did not come through.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:06 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Not trying to be an a$$. My main point is that the OEM does not always know best. Ford specified 28 psi in the Explorers to give a better ride because they designed it with a stiff suspension. 28 psi gave very little safety factor, which led to blowouts from low psi (because people don't check their tires). I owned one of those Explorers and never ran less than 32 psi in it. I've been a car guy all my life and have been driving for 41 years now. No harm, no foul, sorry if my intention did not come through.
I'd agree OEM doesn't always know best. But it can be a good point to start. Air pressure is relative to how much weight is put on the tire. I have new Conti's and researching this thread to get a good feel for what others have done with them.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:06 AM
Hebebad
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkB3
I've had the Hankook V12 Evo 2's on my '05 coupe since early May. I have about 5000 miles on them including week long trip to PA and MD.
The tires are noticeably quieter and way smoother than the GY OEM tires I replaced. They handle very nicely, even in heavy rain at interstate speeds. I frequently drive hard on country roads and interstates and I have been impressed how well the tires grip. Total price including balancing and 4 wheel alignment was $915 after the $100 rebate. I bought from a regional tire outfit called town fair tire.

They're good tires; I'd buy them again.
Just got back froma trip to Bowling Green where we ran hot laps at NCM Motosport Park. We had 2 C6's with Hankook V12's The tires were amazing. Fantastic grip on all 23 corners. Best damn tires for the money.
Not So Fast (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 08:57 AM
COCO RICK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Wait, what, you got the tires, taxes, mounted and balanced, TPMS rebuilt, AND alignment for $1015-$100 for a total of $915,
WOW, that is one hell of a deal
I ordered them today from Discount Tire and with the items mentioned plus road force balanced, they are at $1059 (then the $100 rebate) BUT NO ALIGNMENT That's like another $100 last time I checked so you did good REAL GOOD
NSF
Maybe you can show them (discount tire) this and get a better deal.

http://www.townfairtire.com/tfttires...&task=checkout
Old 09-25-2016, 09:51 AM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bucwheat
I trashed my GY runcraps and went Nitto Invos,never had a better performance tire on any Vette I have ever owned.
...I did the same..
bucwheat (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 03:16 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnathon59
...I did the same..
If you, or anyone else wants my Nitto Invos I will bring them home and you can have them if your within reasonable driving distance for pickup
They have about 4/32" left and wear is even across the tread
NSF
Old 09-26-2016, 03:06 PM
trying2seek
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's my 0.02 cents..

On my 07 I had GY runcrap and changed to the Continental DWS non-runflat tire. I loved those tire handling was excellent wear was out of the world on those tires (ran nearly 40,000 miles on them)

I have since bought a 12 Grand Sport and put the Potneza's on it Run-flat tire as the width of those are hard to find if you are in the middle of nowhere..

On both Vette's I had them aligned to help with tire wear, in either case I have not noticed that much different in handling.. I don't track my car much but do tend to test the upper limit of speed on a nice straight stretch of road now and then..
Old 09-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Vettemuscle1
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

for what its worth i ran 34 (cold) got up to 38 warm psi this weekend in the DWS and it made the turn in faster and firmer. didnt get to run my normal road to have a comparison between 30 and 34 psi but would say it feels more rigid now. had a couple .95G corners and still felt confident so no complaints on the increased pressure.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:45 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Conti Extreme Contact DW for the win. Cannot beat the price, treadlife is fantastic (maybe the best of all), hooks from a hole shot with minimal spin, the BEST in the heavy rain and quiet as a church mouse. The single critique might be the sense of a slightly...and I mean slightly...delayed initial turn in say as compared to Michelin PSS's which I had before these. I also agree running a few extra PSI (32-33 cold, 35-36 hot) greatly diminishes that critique above about the turn in feel. Maybe the best tire for the overall value and package.
Vettemuscle1 (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 05:43 PM
99Z51
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Have no idea

I have always been a Michelin guy. Had them on all our cars and trucks. Now, thanks to this forum, I have had Hankooks on my 2008 base and 2010 GS. I love them. Of course, I'm sure i would have loved new Michelins as well and would be saying how they are the best tire. It seems to me, most of the tires out there are really good and new tires always perform better then old, hard used tires.

Well, I guess I have nothing to offer so I will go back to the GS vs. Base discussion.

Last edited by 99Z51; 09-26-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:13 PM
Vettemuscle1
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Z51
Well, I guess I have nothing to offer so I will go back to the GS vs. Base discussion.
how is that even a discussion? lol

Get notified of new replies

To Choice between these Tires

Old 09-26-2016, 08:38 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Thanks to all that replied, and I'm sure there are better tires but money does factor in, those Michelins are very pricey
My Hankooks came in so a day or 2 I'll know.
NSF
Old 09-26-2016, 09:15 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,603 Likes on 2,336 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Getting to be tire time so I am anxious to hear...
Old 09-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I'll be in this situation in the spring GS sizes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Choice between these Tires