C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight oil smell after driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:39 AM
06orangeZ51
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Slight oil smell after driving?

Hello everyone-

I've noticed the last few times I've driven my car that after I shut it down there's a slight oil smell-almost like oil dripping on hot exhaust. I don't have any obvious leaks to speak of that can be found and there's no oil on my garage floor-even after the car has sat for a week. I searched the forums but haven't found much that helps. Any ideas? Car just turned 23,000 miles recently and I know the previous owner had the oil pan gasket replaced. This is the first time I've smelled this and have had the car since June.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:37 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

There have been some verrrryyyyy long threads about it in the past, and the bottom line is no one really knows why it happens.

In my particular case, I made it go away on my vette by verrry slowly refilling the oil after an oil change, and then not starting it for about 15 minutes. This supports the theory that too much oil in the top of the engine after a change can cause some blow, that makes it to the exhaust.

But others have tried this approach, and it does not work for them.

Some have had pan gaskets replaced, some have had rear seals replaced, some have found that they got oil on the cats from changing the filter, plus other things I've forgotten over the years.

Bottom line, it just takes a spec of oil to get on the exhaust to give you the odor you are smelling.

Good luck with your car, hopefully you figure it out
The following users liked this post:
06orangeZ51 (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 05:01 PM
06orangeZ51
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that it isn't showing any oil use on the dipstick either. It's due for an oil change in about 500 miles-I'll give your method a whirl. I guess if that doesn't work I'll just have to live with it, cause if I have to start taking things apart there's gonna be some serious money spent on performance upgrades
Old 09-22-2016, 05:29 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Check for small leaks on your valve cover gaskets. From there it's a short distance to yor exhaust. Easy check, easy fix. Rear main seal?
The following users liked this post:
06orangeZ51 (09-24-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Slight oil smell after driving?

Quick Reply: Slight oil smell after driving?