C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long distance purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:55 AM
Swad
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Long distance purchasing

As I am working towards buying my first Corvette, one of the things I haven't been limiting myself on is looking across the country. I'm good with the notion of finding the right one somewhere several hundred miles away and flying in one way and driving home with the new purchase. In some ways I would almost rather do this to have an awesome road trip break in coming home with my new (to me) Corvette.

However, I've had one chief concern regarding doing this, and my wife likewise voiced this to me as her chief concern in purchasing from somewhere that's more than a day trip there and back. I don't really have money laying around to be making such trips only to get there and find some surprises that lead to not purchasing and then flying back. That's several hundred $$$ for not which I just don't have the luxury of tossing around like that here and there. I'm curious what means people use to bring certainty to a very high level before making the commitment to fly out somewhere to make a purchase and pick up.

I know in some markets there are people who on the forum have volunteered to get eyes on the situation and report in for someone on whether there are glaring red flags or not by personally checking out the car for the person looking to buy. What about if purchase is somewhere that a person has no established contacts? What about as well having a good 3rd party mechanical review of the car to verify no pressing issues? How do you all handle these matters for those who have purchased from afar and had to pay for a one way trip in for the pick up and avoid getting burned?

This really confronted me when I found this listing ( http://www.laramiegm.com/VehicleDeta...-WY/2834922513 ), which I feel likely has issues given the price versus package (lower mileage, what appears to be 4LT, F55 suspension, NPP exhaust, 4 owner that actually looks to be more like 2 real owners given 2 owners total 30 days estimated ownership time according to CarFax). I feel this car is priced at a level that makes me ask "so what's wrong with it that you're not offering it for a lot more". I may just contact the dealer and ask more questions, get more pictures (ie: is it having leather issues such as mentioned in this forum thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-problem.html ). Maybe the price is right and nothing is wrong with it, but I've seen lesser optioned equal or higher mileage cars offered for a lot more.

It just doesn't seem right, so I don't know how to have a car like this checked out more deeply from several hundred miles away.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:03 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I have sold a Jeep out of state. I took 40 pictures of the car and sent it to the buyer. I took a walk around video of the Jeep that was a few minutes long. I started it up in the video and showed him no check engine lights, and idle was smooth.

Now your situation...

1. I would ask the dealer to take a video of the car from start up to running to make sure it idles smooth. If its a stick shift have him show you that it will go into every gear. I would make sure that the harmonic balancer is not out of whack completely. He can take a closeup video of how its spinning at idle (Plan for $1000 repair).

2. I would ask on the regional forums if someone has a few minutes to stop by and check the car out.

3. Have the dealership take pictures of the dash as it looks like a 4LT and they are known to separate near the window to the right of the HUD.

Overall that car looks very clean and low mileage. The seat does have some wear on it on the left bolster but that is always the case with Corvettes. Check on jet blue to see if they fly where you need to go, they have some serious deals sometimes.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:16 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have found in my life that if I ever travel over 2 hours to see a car, I'm always disappointed in it. With Corvettes, if you're patient the right car will come available near you.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Swad
Advanced

Patience is something I'm most certainly willing to work with as well (though I'd like to purchase before winter months come to a close as that's the end of a stronger buyer's market), but I don't think our used C6 Corvette market where I am is too solid. The larger markets with far greater options are a good 3+ hours away from me as it is.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:30 AM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

Couldn't open your link. I have bought 2 vettes out of state, sight unseen, both dealers gave me return policy if the cars were not what I expected. Both cars came with warranties as well, one of them a high mile 2006 the other a low mile 2008. Transport cost was included in price, came with temp tags for my state as well. Bought them from vette dealers. I've also helped forums members in here with checking cars out for them, they'll give their laundry list and I would add those items to the things I look for.
Do not be afraid to ask for help with a local member checking it out for you. True that ultimately, is your decision, but maybe the seller/dealer will give you some peace of mind in the form of a return policy, money back in writing. Once I knew how to expand my horizons, the deals I come across are amazing! Plus a second opinion could be invaluable.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:51 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,614 Likes on 2,342 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Having bought my last three Corvettes "an airplane ride away", here is my opinion:
First, are you looking for an Atomic Orange, automatic coupe? This 20,000 mile car has a $27k ASKING price. I think that is a fair price.
Pluses:
No front license plate, full rear spoiler, NPP exhaust, minimal/no seat bolster wear.
Minuses:
No underhood fotos, tires LOOK like original GY (and would need replacement due to age).
I would ask the dealer for a quick video showing the harmonic balancer on a running engine and copies of the GMVIS and build sheet.
I put a credit card deposit on mine with the caveat that, if the car was not as represented, I was off the hook. All three were as represented.
A bonus would be to find someone on the forum that could look at a car in Laramie, WY...and that would be a thread starter.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Just a thought...send a PM to Huskerman. He is vacationing in SE Washington and will be heading to Nebraska soon. He might be able to stop in Laramie...

Last edited by ruxvette; 09-23-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:07 PM
Swad
Advanced

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Having bought my last three Corvettes "an airplane ride away", here is my opinion:
First, are you looking for an Atomic Orange, automatic coupe? This 20,000 mile car has a $27k ASKING price. I think that is a fair price.
Pluses:
No front license plate, full rear spoiler, NPP exhaust, minimal/no seat bolster wear.
Minuses:
No underhood fotos, tires LOOK like original GY (and would need replacement due to age).
I would ask the dealer for a quick video showing the harmonic balancer on a running engine and copies of the GMVIS and build sheet.
I put a credit card deposit on mine with the caveat that, if the car was not as represented, I was off the hook. All three were as represented.
A bonus would be to find someone on the forum that could look at a car in Laramie, WY...and that would be a thread starter.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Just a thought...send a PM to Huskerman. He is vacationing in SE Washington and will be heading to Nebraska soon. He might be able to stop in Laramie...
The car basically fits the whole bill of what I'm looking for, though more and more I think I may want to stop at the 4LT just due to how much I've read of the grief when the adhesive decides to give way (if it does). I like 4LT for the look... but I don't want to deal with the grief others have had if it breaks away, which seems to be more common than I'd like to deal with. It's going to be a daily driver and the SW Missouri heat in the summer can be brutal. It's probably more "when" it breaks loose than "if".

I did notice the tires look like they are on the last leg, so I figure that's an instant replacement if purchased. I would have to have visual verification of things like harmonic balancer running, more close ups of front / places dings would be more common. If it was a 3LT, I'd probably really be pressing ahead with a serious consideration of this, but I think I just don't want the drama of what is an obvious design flaw in the 4LT leather... which is sad, because it can really look sharp in a lot of these cars. My waiting game may have to extend some more.

Thanks for thoughts on dealing with a long distance purchase. I do really hope the right one will pop up within a day's round trip, but I want to be ready to pull the trigger if that perfect one pops up elsewhere and be able to fully look at all things. I am actually right now communicating with the dealership. It may prove to be a good test of getting more details than just what a listing has and how the process flows.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:27 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I bought my C6 1250 miles away, and from out of country. I'm from Atlantic Canada, and the car that I found (had everything I was looking for including color) was in St. Mary's Ohio.
I called the dealer, and talked to the salesman that specialized in the Corvette sales.
I asked for photos of every aspect of the car, inside, outside, under carriage, engine, dash, seats, etc. etc.
They sent me all those pics the next day, and they had at least 50 digital photos.
We made the deal over the phone, I sent $1000.00 via paypal, and more phone conversations later, I was so sure everything was OK, so I sent them the final $$ to them via a bank transfer. I was assured that if anything was not as I expected, they would give me a full refund.

They looked after the registration change over, the temporary plate, and all the paperwork I needed to import it back into Canada. I was my own broker, so it cost me nothing to do that, but only the regular import fees to the Feds.

I flew in to Dayton, they had a driver pick me up, and drive me back to the dealership. The salesman went over every detail of the car, we went over it with a fine tooth comb, and after I was satisfied, I was on the road heading back to Canada.
It was a great trip, and a great memory for sure.

Hopefully, you will have a similar memory.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:04 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

It really depends on the particular situation. I bought my pre-owned vette from a dealers in the south part of Houston, which was about a 900 mile drive from where I lived in IL at the time. I had the dealer agree in writing that if the car wasn't as advertised and I changed my mind, I would get my deposit back and walk away. It has turned out to be an excellent car...no regrets.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:21 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 323 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

On the surface - Plus
Looks like what you want
Low Miles +++
You have checked prices, seems reasonable? Maybe time of year consideration
I do see a engine pic, looks normal
Paint looks good, interior clean. Doesn't look like dust/dirt or worn buttons etc.
Good Options for C6
Always make an offer you feel good with for a cushion if need be. They might take it.

Underneath - Minus?
Replace tires $1000 or close. Get front tire inside picture.
Check inside fronts, always go first my experience on Factory alignment and much worse than outside tread in most cases if so.
Distance outside your comfort zone $$/drive time
Previous owner/owners, who traded in/why
Previous Dealers any service records
Dealer Reviews - sometimes helps
MODS ? Personally would never buy any running gear MODS JMO
Battery - sucks up juice, especially just sitting.
Check the headlights for any lens problems outside and inside. Have to turn them on to see inside sometimes. $$$ to replace.

Any used car is a gamble, miles and pictures look good for a start. Consider repairs are expensive on a vet, comes with the territory. Best to start with best you can. A lot of the people here can do some of their own work and that helps save $$. Some have little problems at all.
Have to decide your limits on travel distance and costs.

Have you looked on the forum for Wyoming region or close Forum? Might be quickest way to find someone to look at it for you.
Click on Forum heading top above, go down to Events and Regional Discussion for best area near Dealer.

Have bought several Vettes farther(2200 miles), small deposit, walk if need to, been lucky.

Good luck, could be a winner for you. Get a window screen to help protect the dash and garage it when you can. it must be OK now.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 09-23-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:35 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

I have done it twice with great results. I am in Seattle and 1st one was a 2013 GS - 2K miles, located Wisconsin and 2nd one was a 2012 GS with 6K miles located in Kansas. Flew there and drove both of them back

Both were at a Chevy dealership, and both were CPO cars with CPO warranty. This is the only way I would buy a used car out of state that I fly to. no issues with either GS - and both rest comfortable in my garage. Both of them were exactly as the Dealer described. - show room condition.

go for it on a CPO with low miles - try the GM web site on line.. Search for Corvettes in the GM Certified Web site. you will not be disappointed. there are a lot of them.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:48 PM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Swad
As I am working towards buying my first Corvette, one of the things I haven't been limiting myself on is looking across the country. I'm good with the notion of finding the right one somewhere several hundred miles away and flying in one way and driving home with the new purchase. In some ways I would almost rather do this to have an awesome road trip break in coming home with my new (to me) Corvette.

However, I've had one chief concern regarding doing this, and my wife likewise voiced this to me as her chief concern in purchasing from somewhere that's more than a day trip there and back. I don't really have money laying around to be making such trips only to get there and find some surprises that lead to not purchasing and then flying back. That's several hundred $$$ for not which I just don't have the luxury of tossing around like that here and there. I'm curious what means people use to bring certainty to a very high level before making the commitment to fly out somewhere to make a purchase and pick up.

I know in some markets there are people who on the forum have volunteered to get eyes on the situation and report in for someone on whether there are glaring red flags or not by personally checking out the car for the person looking to buy. What about if purchase is somewhere that a person has no established contacts? What about as well having a good 3rd party mechanical review of the car to verify no pressing issues? How do you all handle these matters for those who have purchased from afar and had to pay for a one way trip in for the pick up and avoid getting burned?

This really confronted me when I found this listing ( http://www.laramiegm.com/VehicleDeta...-WY/2834922513 ), which I feel likely has issues given the price versus package (lower mileage, what appears to be 4LT, F55 suspension, NPP exhaust, 4 owner that actually looks to be more like 2 real owners given 2 owners total 30 days estimated ownership time according to CarFax). I feel this car is priced at a level that makes me ask "so what's wrong with it that you're not offering it for a lot more". I may just contact the dealer and ask more questions, get more pictures (ie: is it having leather issues such as mentioned in this forum thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-problem.html ). Maybe the price is right and nothing is wrong with it, but I've seen lesser optioned equal or higher mileage cars offered for a lot more.

It just doesn't seem right, so I don't know how to have a car like this checked out more deeply from several hundred miles away.
I live in North Dakota and have bought both my corvettes from AutoShowcase of Carol Stream, Il. had trade ins for both deals and I'm completely satisfied. Dealer warrantees and good prices. No problems with either of them. Drove there one day and drove the Corvette back the next. Would not hesitate to do it again.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:54 PM
mlicker
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd say the price is good, and I wouldn't worry about the 4LT.
To me, highly worth it. The 4LT package was $8000 on my 2008, and I absolutely love it..!! Mine is perfect with 46k on it, (bought a 1 owner from a dealership in Lubbock, TX with 36K), and if I had to fix it I would. Worth the cost.

As far as travel, we bought ours 1800 miles away and drove it home. Check my album for the wife's and I's road trip flying from Seattle to Lubbock, TX., buying from a Chevrolet dealership there and driving home. Best road trip in my life. If you feel the person is being honest, supplies you with additional photos of things you may have questions on, and you feel it has your name on it as ours did, I would be placing my credit card deposit on it now for a 30 day hold and arrange your one way travel like we did. Dealership even picked us up at the airport and had the car staged for a cool presentation. Great experience all around. I'd do it again in a heartbeat..!!

Last edited by mlicker; 09-23-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:07 PM
mlicker
Instructor

one more thing on this particular car:
I thought the 4LT came with the NAV, and those drilled rotors might represent a Z51 car. If so, they did not come with select ride as seen on the console on the link. Just curious and it might mean a bit of research here on CF or Google..??
Old 09-23-2016, 07:20 PM
Orange Skullz
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I bought my C6 1250 miles away, and from out of country. I'm from Atlantic Canada, and the car that I found (had everything I was looking for including color) was in St. Mary's Ohio.
I called the dealer, and talked to the salesman that specialized in the Corvette sales.
I asked for photos of every aspect of the car, inside, outside, under carriage, engine, dash, seats, etc. etc.
They sent me all those pics the next day, and they had at least 50 digital photos.
We made the deal over the phone, I sent $1000.00 via paypal, and more phone conversations later, I was so sure everything was OK, so I sent them the final $$ to them via a bank transfer. I was assured that if anything was not as I expected, they would give me a full refund.

They looked after the registration change over, the temporary plate, and all the paperwork I needed to import it back into Canada. I was my own broker, so it cost me nothing to do that, but only the regular import fees to the Feds.

I flew in to Dayton, they had a driver pick me up, and drive me back to the dealership. The salesman went over every detail of the car, we went over it with a fine tooth comb, and after I was satisfied, I was on the road heading back to Canada.
It was a great trip, and a great memory for sure.

Hopefully, you will have a similar memory.
NO better place to buy in the United States than Bud's Chevrolet in St Mary's, OHIO
Old 09-23-2016, 07:23 PM
Swad
Advanced

I got a few more pictures today and so far the dash looks good on the 4LT with none of the issues I've seen in the large post I initially linked to. I do agree--4LT does look great, and at the price this particular car comes in at, would be a bonus. Regarding the ride selection, is there any other feature that might use that? I do know that F55 can come with the cross-drilled rotors. I may email them back and ask for a picture of the feature tag inside the glove box just so I can confirm.

Heading out of the country for a week for a trip in the early AM, and if it's still available when I get back, I may make a serious push on it / put a card down to hold it or something, we'll see. Thanks for all the advice and feedback!

Last edited by Swad; 09-23-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:29 PM
mlicker
Instructor

I got a few more pictures today and so far the dash looks good on the 4LT with none of the issues I've seen in the large post I initially linked to. I do agree--4LT does look great, and at the price this particular car comes in at, would be a bonus. Regarding the ride selection, is there any other feature that might use that? I do know that F55 can come with the cross-drilled rotors. I may email them back and ask for a picture of the feature tag inside the glove box just so I can confirm.

Heading out of the country for a week for a trip in the early AM, and if it's still available when I get back, I may make a serious push on it / put a card down to hold it or something, we'll see. Thanks for all the advice and feedback!
That feature code/option code tag is the best way to decode.

Last edited by mlicker; 09-23-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Long distance purchasing

Old 09-23-2016, 07:52 PM
MWHITED
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm in NW Arkansas and bought my 4LT '13 long distance 1,000 miles away from a dealer. Dealer posted 30+ pictures and send me a few more on my request. I had Reliable pick it up and the first time I saw it in person was when it was unloaded at my house. There were a few minor things, but overall I was extremely pleased.

Yes, you are always taking a chance buying that way, but I've become comfortable buying long distance when it's from a dealer. I'm pretty specific on what I want and will travel to get it. The last 6 used and new cars have been on the internet and long distance. In your case, an AO with Sienna 4LT isn't very common and you could search a long time to find another one. If it's what you want, I'd grab it.

BTW - since you are so close, you should drive down for the Corvette Show in Eureka Springs the weekend of Oct 8th.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:55 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange Skullz
NO better place to buy in the United States than Bud's Chevrolet in St Mary's, OHIO
It was the best buying experience that I've ever had from any dealer. I dealt with Dave Kunk.
It was a CPO vehicle as well with low mileage, so I was not that fearful of any issues.
The car has been A-1. The only thing I've had to do is change out the water pump.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:00 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

The car basically fits the whole bill of what I'm looking for, though more and more I think I may want to stop at the 4LT just due to how much I've read of the grief when the adhesive decides to give way (if it does). I like 4LT for the look... but I don't want to deal with the grief others have had if it breaks away, which seems to be more common than I'd like to deal with. It's going to be a daily driver and the SW Missouri heat in the summer can be brutal. It's probably more "when" it breaks loose than "if".

I did notice the tires look like they are on the last leg, so I figure that's an instant replacement if purchased. I would have to have visual verification of things like harmonic balancer running, more close ups of front / places dings would be more common. If it was a 3LT, I'd probably really be pressing ahead with a serious consideration of this, but I think I just don't want the drama of what is an obvious design flaw in the 4LT leather... which is sad, because it can really look sharp in a lot of these cars. My waiting game may have to extend some more.

Thanks for thoughts on dealing with a long distance purchase. I do really hope the right one will pop up within a day's round trip, but I want to be ready to pull the trigger if that perfect one pops up elsewhere and be able to fully look at all things. I am actually right now communicating with the dealership. It may prove to be a good test of getting more details than just what a listing has and how the process flows.

A lot of advice given in the previous response, most relevant by ruxy.

Pricing is very fair, for model year, mileage, and equipment.......

If the dealer will provide answers or evidence of any concerns or question you have, it would be worth the trip to go and bring it back......... just my opinion

Last edited by rkj427; 09-23-2016 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Long distance purchasing