C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:42 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

It may be that they set the specs this way so that the obviously cursory alignment that they do at the factory will end up being within the specs. My guy took an hour on a brand new Hunter machine...I can't see them spending anywhere near that much time and effort aligning the new ones at the end of the production line. Maybe someone who has done the museum build experience and seen the alignment procedure can comment on this.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:52 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

I had new Michelin Super Sports mounted yesterday, but can't get in to have an alignment done until 10/17. I will be very interested to see where the camber sits now compared to the numbers from May of this year. I will post the current numbers andthe specs set at this upcoming alignment. This shop has already said that I can talk with the tech and together we will determine what settings are best for tire wear.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:16 AM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

The alignment shop had a cancellation and they were able to get me in today and the findings are............inconclusive.

Front camber had not changed that much - still sitting at -1.3 left and -1.5 right. Right front toe was out quite a bit - 0.23 from 0.10 in May. Left rear toe had moved from -0.04 in May to -0.13 today. The tech said that should have contributed to wear on the outside edge of left front, but that was not noticeable.

He set the front camber at -1.0 on both sides and toe at 0.02. Not much change, but I could feel a difference on the ride home. The steering felt much more "positive" without any twitch. The car tracks straight and everything just felt smooth where it felt a little "edgy" before. Overall I am extremely happy with these settings.

So, I feel that the previous camber settings definitely had an impact on tire wear, but at 28,000 miles on the tires, they had reached the end of their useful life. Hope to see 30,000 with the new alignment specs.

My warning stays the same - keep an eye on your tire wear. Don't put yourself and your loved ones in a dangerous situation like I did.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by duckvett
The alignment shop had a cancellation and they were able to get me in today and the findings are............inconclusive.

Front camber had not changed that much - still sitting at -1.3 left and -1.5 right. Right front toe was out quite a bit - 0.23 from 0.10 in May. Left rear toe had moved from -0.04 in May to -0.13 today. The tech said that should have contributed to wear on the outside edge of left front, but that was not noticeable.

He set the front camber at -1.0 on both sides and toe at 0.02. Not much change, but I could feel a difference on the ride home. The steering felt much more "positive" without any twitch. The car tracks straight and everything just felt smooth where it felt a little "edgy" before. Overall I am extremely happy with these settings.

So, I feel that the previous camber settings definitely had an impact on tire wear, but at 28,000 miles on the tires, they had reached the end of their useful life. Hope to see 30,000 with the new alignment specs.

My warning stays the same - keep an eye on your tire wear. Don't put yourself and your loved ones in a dangerous situation like I did.

Oh Goody Mine is pretty much set as yours is, toe is a little more at 0.08-0.05 but camber the same.
My car now drives straight (after the new Hankooks) so leaving things alone, but will check tire wear regularly, thanks
NSF
Old 10-08-2016, 03:20 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Here's mine, both front tires worn on the inside, but the rears were worn evenly. Supposedly these were put on 10,000 miles ago if Carfax is accurate, but the date codes say they are from 2010 and 2011. It's no wonder they handled so sketchy.

Just got some Pilot Supersports mounted yesterday and have an appointment for alignment next week. It will be nice to be able to drive in the rain again.

Quick Reply: Check your tire wear