C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The journey from a Grand Splat back to a Grand Sport - another rebuild story

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 01:44 AM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
If you don't mind spending a little more $$$ and want something that is a little different then you might consider an SS Vettes Extreme ZR1 spoiler.
Thank you for the info. I ended up going with a ZR1 Extended spoiler and I think I am going to love it once we get done repairing it. I looked at the Extreme by SS-Vette, but at $699 I could not justify it. I ordered a very similar unit for 1/3 the price which was supposed to be made in the USA. When I finally got it in, the quality was very poor. Fortunately we can fix it, but I will just have to warn anyone purchasing from SMM Trade Co it is buyer beware. I sent several pics and the only one they responded to was below which they stated it must have been cracked in shipping. Really? How naive do I look?

If are fortunate enough to you have your own place to "finish" someone else's product, maybe you can save some money, but from what I have seen, if you have the $699, the SS-Vettes Extreme is a quality product unlike the one I purchased for $235.

Last edited by AL_Jazz; 10-22-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:17 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Family's important. The car will wait, altho it looks like it's progressing very well.
The following users liked this post:
AL_Jazz (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:56 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Best wishes for your mom to keep improving. Sorry to hear of her diagnosis and heart attack.

Yes, the SS Vettes spoiler is not cheap. Luckily I got mine when it was on sale several years ago at $499. Supervettes was asking $799 for the same spoiler at that time.
AL_Jazz (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 04:32 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Best wishes for your mom to keep improving. Sorry to hear of her diagnosis and heart attack.

Yes, the SS Vettes spoiler is not cheap. Luckily I got mine when it was on sale several years ago at $499. Supervettes was asking $799 for the same spoiler at that time.
Hard to justify when already spending thousands to rebuild...
Old 10-24-2016, 12:32 PM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Sorry to hear about your Mom. Hope all continues well with her health problems.

Its interesting to watch your photos and see how one transforms. I had a 2009 base convertible that totaled out in February, and got to see the front end off of it and how much damage it had from a front and side glancing blow. Mine had the frame bent about 1" out, and with all the other things such as the mag shock etc, they decided it had gotten too expensive to repair.
The body shop said that they figured someone would purchase the salvage and that further down the line, I would probably be getting a phone call from someone who had purchased it, asking questions about it or the accident for repairs etc.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Richard F; 10-24-2016 at 12:34 PM.
AL_Jazz (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 02:30 PM
CFIVEM3
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I missed your feedback.

Fortunately, I refused to have it repaired and took a cash settlement that I used to buy the 2008 coupe I have now. Sold the 2006 Vert for salvage to an outfit in St. Louis that apparently managed to repair it as I got an email from a dealer down there regarding an oil change.

I really enjoy your insights and seeing the step by step repair process.

Best of luck,

Steve

Originally Posted by AL_Jazz
Couple comments. First, please never cut a frame and replace only a part of it. A frame is a structural component to the vehicle and cutting it can seriously weaken the strength. I have rebuilt many Jeeps and trucks and we usually will either straighten if minor or replace the frames if they are bent. On a unibody chassis where there is no actual frame, one can go to a factory seam and remove the factory welds to install a completely new part including B pillars, quarter panels, and rocker panels. On a standard Vette which has a steel subframe, working one on a frame machine is not a problem if it is a fairly minor adjustment. There are crumple zones built into most modern vehicles. On the Z06 which has an aluminum subframe, I would not recommend pulling those at all...even for a minor adjustment. Aluminum will crack and break and does not recover from being bent, even a little.

As far as your C6 with the top not clasping correctly, no, I would not consider that car rebuildable. If the doors don't close correctly and the top is not lining up, there is too much structural damage for me to consider it a safe vehicle once rebuilt. One of the first things I did with this GS is to pop the top and make sure it was not bound up at all. It functions perfectly, no cracks in the windshield, and is water tight around all the doors and seals up even against a pressure washer. Like I've said previously, I am fairly picky about those that I rebuild. Just my $0.02...
AL_Jazz (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:30 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard F
Sorry to hear about your Mom. Hope all continues well with her health problems.

Its interesting to watch your photos and see how one transforms. I had a 2009 base convertible that totaled out in February, and got to see the front end off of it and how much damage it had from a front and side glancing blow. Mine had the frame bent about 1" out, and with all the other things such as the mag shock etc, they decided it had gotten too expensive to repair.
The body shop said that they figured someone would purchase the salvage and that further down the line, I would probably be getting a phone call from someone who had purchased it, asking questions about it or the accident for repairs etc.
Yeah, someone will probably rebuild yours, but it is sometimes deceiving how much damage is actually done under the fiberglass. I tend to shy away from one with suspension damage because I am always concerned about handling characteristics at speed once it's repaired. Beautiful car before, and I would have been PISSED!
Old 10-24-2016, 09:33 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Originally Posted by CFIVEM3
...I really enjoy your insights and seeing the step by step repair process.
Thank you Steve, I really enjoy rebuilding them and giving them a new lease on life. I know it has only been a month, but it seems like this one is taking forever. I am having withdrawls driving my Jeep everyday...
Old 10-25-2016, 12:11 PM
Richard F
Pro

Yeah, someone will probably rebuild yours, but it is sometimes deceiving how much damage is actually done under the fiberglass. I tend to shy away from one with suspension damage because I am always concerned about handling characteristics at speed once it's repaired. Beautiful car before, and I would have been PISSED!
I was when it first happened and then when dealing with the insurance company, until the cost got up over $18.000 to repair. I knew then it was going to total out. They eventually gave me more than I paid for it, and I bought a 2011 Grand Sport Convertible with 7,654 miles. The Grand Sport was the same color as the 2009 Base, so some of my neighbors thought all I had done was put the stripes on the front fender and changed the wheels. My Corvette friends knew different... So all in all it turned out good.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Richard F; 10-25-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:37 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

...They eventually gave me more than I paid for it, and I bought a 2011 Grand Sport Convertible with 7,654 miles. ...so all in all it turned out good.
Sweet new ride and glad it worked out in your favor!
Richard F (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 10:00 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Just left the shop this evening and it's time for an update...

She is off the frame machine with everything straight and a new re-bar welded into place. In addition, the new right inner fender liner has been bonded into place and the new fender test fitted. We got the new radiator installed along with the new upper and lower supports. I was able to locate a used wiring harness online and finished the wiring repairs this evening. So far, everything is coming together great. The remaining body parts should be test fit tomorrow and painted Friday. Probably buff-out on Monday and I could have her as early as Tuesday if everything stays on track...

Now for what everyone wants to see...some pics!

Neither fender is bolted into place, just sitting on for fitting purposes so no, the body lines do not line up in the pics...

...and finally the new wiring harness.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:04 AM
Richard F
Pro

Wont be long and you will have her back on the road again...its gonna make someone a nice car....
Old 10-27-2016, 10:45 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Wont be long and you will have her back on the road again...its gonna make someone a nice car....
Yup...me. I will be keeping this one for a while, at least through the winter until Spring at which point I might go for a Grand Sport convertible.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:22 AM
Kahunah911
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup...me. I will be keeping this one for a while, at least through the winter until Spring at which point I might go for a Grand Sport convertible.
Good choice...not that I'm biased or anything.....
Old 10-28-2016, 08:56 AM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Got the new Hankooks for the front ordered last evening....things are coming together!
Old 11-16-2016, 06:26 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Been a busy last couple weeks...got engaged, went on a cruise, and finally picked up my new baby!

Old 11-16-2016, 07:46 PM
GS057
Safety Car

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Looks great.
AL_Jazz (11-17-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To The journey from a Grand Splat back to a Grand Sport - another rebuild story

Old 11-16-2016, 10:07 PM
Speed07
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Congrats on the engagement and the gorgeous car!
AL_Jazz (11-17-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 10:10 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Looks great!

What else is needing to be done beside the front crossed flags?
AL_Jazz (11-17-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 10:11 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Looks great!

I like that you left off the crossed flags on the front bumper.

I did that on my first bumper and wish I had done it on my current one (but didn't).

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 11-16-2016 at 10:12 PM.
AL_Jazz (11-17-2016)

Quick Reply: The journey from a Grand Splat back to a Grand Sport - another rebuild story