C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Methods to reduce dashboard glare?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 06:20 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Methods to reduce dashboard glare?

Per the subject, short of one of those lame carpet deals, is there any way to reduce the glare from the dash on the windshield?

I ask because I happen to drive into the sun when going to work and into the sun when going home and the dash is really pretty shiny reflecting a lot of bright glare onto the windshield and, no matter how clean the window is, it really reduces what I can see when driving in such situations.

Interior cleaners are not the answer since they tend to make it shinier and thus worse. I need a way to lower the shine and get it reflect less if possible.

One of those lame carpet dash mats actually works well but..... Uh...... It's a carpet mat. Pretty lame. So is there something else out that might work or help somewhat?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 10-09-2016, 06:49 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm with you on this. I thought about the suede dashmat, but can't bring myself to do that.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:15 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Not sure there is a way, other than to minimize glare by just using water to clean it with and stay away from the cleaners.

Other than the material that it's made out of, our windshield's are raked so much that the dash has to be much larger than in most other cars. So there's a lot more surface to reflect from
Old 10-09-2016, 07:41 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Did you use Amour(sp?) all or something similar at one time? My dash is a very flat black and doesn't really have much glare or shine to it, which is the way I like it.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:37 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Do you have a HUD? If so you could replace the windshield with the less reflective non-HUD version.

Aerospace 303 is an excellent cleaner for the interior and if you remove the excess/buff it, it dries to a surface that is not too shiny.

Or maybe polarized sun glasses with the extra tint on the bottom edge like boaters use to reduce glare coming off the water.

Anything's better than 'carpeting' the dash.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:00 AM
nzkiwivet
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

try some of this,mine was the same and it took a couple of coats but is alot better now.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:12 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Polarized eye glasses. No foolin. Even carpet and suede and felt can reflect to some degree.

Last edited by TerryL; 10-10-2016 at 02:33 AM. Reason: LOL I typed Polaroid....
Old 10-10-2016, 12:17 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

My 2013 C6 Z06 dash is a matte black. No reflection whatsoever. I also have a 4 or 5" "strip" across the front windshield. It is not tint, but a non-see through material. If worse comes to worse, can you have your windshield lightly tinted?

Polarized sunglasses are the cheapest and easiest option.

Too bad windshields are not photo-chromatic like some glasses and motorcycle face shields are.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:25 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

I'd vote cleaning with water only (ie: getting rid of or reducing the dash material sheen)is the only option......

unless sunglasses, carpeting mat, replace OEM dash with alcantara dash.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:27 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkar
Per the subject, short of one of those lame carpet deals, is there any way to reduce the glare from the dash on the windshield?

I ask because I happen to drive into the sun when going to work and into the sun when going home and the dash is really pretty shiny reflecting a lot of bright glare onto the windshield and, no matter how clean the window is, it really reduces what I can see when driving in such situations.

Interior cleaners are not the answer since they tend to make it shinier and thus worse. I need a way to lower the shine and get it reflect less if possible.

One of those lame carpet dash mats actually works well but..... Uh...... It's a carpet mat. Pretty lame. So is there something else out that might work or help somewhat?

Thanks,

Kevin
I agree that polarized sunglasses are the best solution because they filter out road glare as well.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:30 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I tried the suede dashmat, but it didn't fit/work well. I've had the "lame" carpet one for nearly 9 years now. It's not perfect, but I don't care, since it works for me. Having clear vision is more important than someone else's opinion of how my car looks.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:28 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I wear polarized glasses whenever it's sunny out. Works very well, but not always perfect. If you use anything on the dash, follow the instructions. If it still doesn't cut the "sheen" enough, dampen a clean cloth and wipe over it again---this removes some more of the sheen. I do it every so often.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:39 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I went a little further and got polarized prescription sunglasses. As harsh as the sun is here I never go outside without them and the do cut the glare in half.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:47 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by EVRose
I went a little further and got polarized prescription sunglasses. As harsh as the sun is here I never go outside without them and the do cut the glare in half.
They certainly work don't they! I need them more for mountain driving on tree lined two lanes, in and out of shady corners and back into glaring sunlight. Without polarized glasses I was actually blind for moments driving thru the hills. There could be a bicyclist or a deer or...just too dangerous, even for a split second.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:10 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

How do the polarized lenses effect your ability to see the Nav screen, climate control, HUD, etc?

My wife has a set of polarized, from the passenger seat she finds the Nav screen is unusable- too dark to read.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:41 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Don't have the NAV. It does darken the radio and a/c screens but the readouts are not affected. Nor is the HUD or other gauges. I also see the heat temper lines in the side windows under some lighting. Thankfully the windshield is clear and I can see thru it no matter what.

Last edited by TerryL; 10-10-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:04 AM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Have your dash recovered in Alcantara...

Garry

Get notified of new replies

To Methods to reduce dashboard glare?

Old 10-11-2016, 04:55 AM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkar

Thanks,

Kevin
I don't like the dash mats either but I bought one at WCC a few years back and keep it in the trunk for times when I'm heading south. I didn't install the tape, I just lay it on the dash, so no spirited driving, but it stays pretty well if you place it properly and the nav still works. One small piece of Velcro may help a lot.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:28 AM
ProCycle
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
How do the polarized lenses effect your ability to see the Nav screen, climate control, HUD, etc?

My wife has a set of polarized, from the passenger seat she finds the Nav screen is unusable- too dark to read.
I don't know about the NAV screen but polarized glasses will make the HUD display disappear.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:11 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCycle
I don't know about the NAV screen but polarized glasses will make the HUD display disappear.
Mine don't do that.

Quick Reply: Methods to reduce dashboard glare?