C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big problem with my Michelin tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 05:29 AM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Tire Mfg Date Check

Originally Posted by pokerpro
Good question I didn't think to look. I know I purchased them in 2013.
FYI. Last year I ordered a set of new tires from a local tire store. He would match tire rack price and install.

When they arrived I set up a time to get them installed. I asked to see them before they installed. The Mfg. date was already 3 years old.

Told the owner that I did not want them and he just laughed me off. At that point I told him to stick it!

ALWAYS check the dates. You don't know how long or in what conditions the tires are stored in warehouses.

JB
Old 11-27-2016, 08:21 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Detroit1
FYI. Last year I ordered a set of new tires from a local tire store. He would match tire rack price and install.

When they arrived I set up a time to get them installed. I asked to see them before they installed. The Mfg. date was already 3 years old.

Told the owner that I did not want them and he just laughed me off. At that point I told him to stick it!

ALWAYS check the dates. You don't know how long or in what conditions the tires are stored in warehouses.

JB
Old 11-27-2016, 11:35 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
UPDATE: I heard back from Michelin today regarding what they were going to compensate me on my cracking PSS tires that I purchased in 2012...Both front tires 50% each, right rear 60%, left rear 45%. They are sending me new rears 345-30-19 and two front 285-35-18 shipped to me $672.00. I think that's pretty fair.
It's fair, prorated but considering 4 new corners for $700 on tires installed in '12 is sweet.

Found my tires generally require replacing long before any age/dry rot becomes an issue. @$2K+. Michelin or BS PPs.
$700 is hitting the tire jackpot.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:05 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Detroit1

JB
Good advice above.

Just for information, what is your years-produced that you would accept on new tires? I'm sure most have a limit in their minds, but what's yours, i.e., 1-year old, 2-year old, etc.?
Old 11-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think temperatures and ozone exposer may be contributers more than brand or just age. My Michelins are four years old with about 22,000 miles and no cracks. It spends all of it's time in the garage when I'm not out driving it. I just put new tires on my 2004 Ranger that I bought new. The originals had lots of tread left with about 35,000 on them but they finally started to develop fine cracks. It also spends all of it's 'off time' in the garage. My daughter has a 2012 Escape with over 70,000 miles on it. She just replaced the original Michelins with a new set of Michelins. The Escape spends all of it's time outside but even with high miles and all of it's time outside... no cracks.

I don't know, maybe we're just lucky.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:41 PM
Medicdiver
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by AORoads
Good advice above.

Just for information, what is your years-produced that you would accept on new tires? I'm sure most have a limit in their minds, but what's yours, i.e., 1-year old, 2-year old, etc.?
Personally my personal limit is 6 months. I drive 5k a year in both my truck and corvette. The 80k tires for my truck would last 16 years at that point. Usually I replace them at 5-6 years for safety if I haven't traded in by then. No point in having new tires that are 3 years old already. Rubber degrades over time when exposed to light, oxygen, UV rays.

Quick Reply: Big problem with my Michelin tires