C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience with broken clutch assist spring

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:11 PM
SammyP
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default My experience with broken clutch assist spring

I recently had an issue with my clutchi spring that broke while driving my car. I didnt even know what it was until inasled here and saw that it was a common problem. I asked for some help and most recommended swapping it out for the C5 clutch spring. I ended up buying one from cultrag for 10-15 bucks. I drove the car without the spring for 2 months because i never had time to change it.
Without the spring the car functions fine, but the clutch feel isnt as good....im not sure really how to explain the feel. I have the C5 spring in now for about 5 days. It isnt that hard to put in yourself but you will have to get deep down near the clutch pedal and it is hard to use both hands down there but isnt impossible. C5 clutch spring feel better and smoother. Slightly different than the C6 spring. Not sure if it is actually better or worse though...
Just thought i would share. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:47 AM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

My AW C6 that I bought in September had a broken clutch spring too. Seller gave me a new one in a GM bag and told me what it was. He said it's been broke for several months. After I got car home I read up on these springs here and found some guys leave them off, some don't.

One day I'm bored and remembered the new spring. Replaced it with the new one which was a C6 spring. The broken one was a C5 spring with a smaller coil. So either the car came with a C5 spring or someone already replaced it at least once.

Not much difference in clutch pedal feel to me. Still is a sensitive clutch that applies a bit high but works ok.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:18 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the spring is necessary to bring the pedal all the way back up, which is necessary for proper system function.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:37 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I removed my assist spring years ago. I feel there is a more real and linear feel with the spring out but there is obviously more effort needed to move the clutch...but I like it.
The following users liked this post:
KTVette (12-29-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To My experience with broken clutch assist spring

Quick Reply: My experience with broken clutch assist spring