C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble light question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 11:37 PM
Black Rain C6
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble light question

I own a 2008 C6 Automatic, since buying the car at a local Chevy dealer I've had intermittent problems with the car throwing codes, lighting up the dash like a Christmas tree. Usually it happens after the car has been parked over night, goes away after the car warms up and has been shut off. Now that is getting colder, 40 degree mornings it's happen very often. Tonight I stopped at another forum members house, parked for about an hour or so before heading home. When leaving, he asked me to get on the throttle a little to hear the exhaust "Corsa tips, muffler delete" that was done yesterday. I hit the throttle, last traction and spun the rears pretty good, traction control kicked in then the dash went to hell. Again. Anyone else had these issues? Photos included of what I'm getting.

Thanks for any responses ahead of time.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:39 PM
Black Rain C6
8th Gear

The car in question
Old 12-01-2016, 12:22 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

My first thought is a wheel speed sensor. That is where I would first look at.

Just an educated guess however.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:41 AM
Vistance
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[Deleted]

Last edited by Vistance; 12-16-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:19 AM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My 2009 suffered failure of the RF wheel speed sensor. Nearest one was in Reno. Few days later I returned, part was replaced and codes cleared. No issues since then. But mine threw all the same codes. Tech ran a test LF vs. RF. RF failed.

George
Old 12-01-2016, 06:25 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 904 Posts

All the active handling systems even cruise control (traction control, anti-lock) are tied together and, as a failsafe, if the ECM or BCM have a failure, for any reason, the PCM shuts these systems down, notifies the driver basically, not to rely on these systems because they're all safety related. They're often misinterpreted as the core problem. It can also be caused by a directly related component like a wheel sensor as mentioned or something seemingly unrelated like an intermittent TPS failure.

Reading codes is the key; or alternatively, start replacing parts randomly. Can you get your codes read?
Old 12-01-2016, 07:08 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Let's begin with the basics.....

First, what size wheels are on the front and rear? Are the front/rear aspect ratios still the same as stock configuration or was the aspect ration disrupted by having all 4 wheels the same size? For example, 18" Front and 19" Rear were changed to be 19" Front AND 19" Rear?

Second, I concur having a reliable expert check the wheel speed sensors. Preferrably one you trust.

The C5 was easy to read codes as it was a feature in the DIC. Not so much with the C6 unless you have a code reader.

Also, if I remember correctly.....didn't you mention you had two wheel hub bearings replaced on the front right side? Experts: Could this be related to anything broke, damaged, improperly reconnected that would trigger these codes?

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 12-01-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:59 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Let's begin with the basics.....

First, what size wheels are on the front and rear? Are the front/rear aspect ratios still the same as stock configuration or was the aspect ration disrupted by having all 4 wheels the same size? For example, 18" Front and 19" Rear were changed to be 19" Front AND 19" Rear?

Second, I concur having a reliable expert check the wheel speed sensors. Preferrably one you trust.

The C5 was easy to read codes as it was a feature in the DIC. Not so much with the C6 unless you have a code reader.

Also, if I remember correctly.....didn't you mention you had two wheel hub bearings replaced on the front right side? Experts: Could this be related to anything broke, damaged, improperly reconnected that would trigger these codes?
Thing is - unless the wheel sensor is intermittently failing and returning, the failure would be constant. Same with changing wheel diameters that exceed the wheel sensor tolerances. I think the OP gets intermittent failures that cure on ign stop/restart. He only gets the lights when he is spinning tires. With AH off, no lights should come on. But, he won't be rolling along under normal driving conditions with no lights on and a constantly failed wheel sensor. If nothing else, first time he touched the brake pedal, ABS would be complaining and the other lights would follow.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 12-01-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:04 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC

The wheel speed sensor is part of the hub bearing assembly iirc, so it's very possible one of the connectors could be loose or damaged. I would check to make sure the connector is seated firmly by removing it, checking the plug to ensure it is clean and in good shape, then plugging it back in.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 08:26 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
The wheel speed sensor is part of the hub bearing assembly iirc, so it's very possible one of the connectors could be loose or damaged. I would check to make sure the connector is seated firmly by removing it, checking the plug to ensure it is clean and in good shape, then plugging it back in.
The assembly sounds like $$$$
Old 12-01-2016, 08:47 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by enventr
The assembly sounds like $$$$
They are pricey. I had one go out on my '03 Monte Carlo and the part alone cost nearly $200.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Symptoms sound like battery's weak, might get it load tested.
Make sure the wire 'comb' was installed under driver's seat, especially for A6s using auto exit/enter function.
Of course WHS would be on the list is the first 2 checked OK.

G/L, really hoping you bought a certified car.
In spite of multiple computers, chasing this stuff gets pricey real fast.
Keep us posted.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:48 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our 2009 A6 has done like OP's three times in 95k miles, about once every 30k. It happens when driving and turning slowly in a parking lot, or coming to a gentle stop straight ahead. Shutting down and restarting clears the problem for about another 30k.

One time I drove it to the dealer without shutting down, they read the code but it was too general to diagnose the problem.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Magik
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Did you check the battery. Just about all those same warnings came up on my car when the battery was almost dead. I replaced the battery and never saw them again.

I hope that's the problem with your car, as it will be an easy fix.

Could be, as you said they go away after the car runs for a while. The charge of your battery may be better at that time.

BTW, y car is a '06 Auto.

Your car is beautiful. Love that hood. I wanted the same one, but it's too expensive to ship to Hawaii.

Last edited by Magik; 12-01-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Black Rain C6
8th Gear

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their input and ideas. I'm new to the Corvette world and the learning curve on their issues is steep. I bought the car from the local branded Chevy dealer, don't remember if it was certified. I've had numerous issues with the car since purchase, all of which the dealership fixed without cost to me. Having had the car about 8 months now I'm not sure how long that will continue.

What's been done:
Rear driver side wheel bearing hub replaced twice, first was found to be bad when the first set of codes was thrown, then the second lasted 2 days before going bad and was found to be a factory defect.

Charging system ground was bad, shorted and caused charging system failures, codes again, engine power reduction mode. Dealer replaced the grounds and shorted wiring issues.

Since then when the gauges light up I take it into the dealer running, they bring out the hand held scan tool but it shows no codes. They set an appointment "I have another on Monday" for which I drop off the car, they turn it off until the tech is ready for it and by the time it hits the shop the lights are out and no codes stored or they are too generic to pin point an issue directly. This mostly seems to happen when the car is cold.

The current set of codes though did not clear over night since posting this, they were still there yesterday morning. I took the car to the dealer and the mobile code unit couldn't pull any codes and the shop was full.

I was having key fob issues anyway so I went into parts, bought a new key and programed it with the short method. After programming the key, the damned codes were gone again.

I've got a digital batter charger here at the house, I'm going to test out the battery real fast and see where the levels stand as that was mentioned here.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-02-2016, 11:08 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

likely you're not generating codes that can be read with the scan tools being used. Guessing - but the fault code(s) is/are likely going to be a C, B or U code. 99.998% of all scan tools only read P codes.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:10 AM
Black Rain C6
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Magik
Did you check the battery. Just about all those same warnings came up on my car when the battery was almost dead. I replaced the battery and never saw them again.

I hope that's the problem with your car, as it will be an easy fix.

Could be, as you said they go away after the car runs for a while. The charge of your battery may be better at that time.

BTW, y car is a '06 Auto.

Your car is beautiful. Love that hood. I wanted the same one, but it's too expensive to ship to Hawaii.

Thanks, I'm going to go check my battery now. Never crossed my mind once.

I love the hood, also have the carbon fiber Targa top, side skirts, interior dash trim, interior console trim. She definitely turns heads and starts tons of conversions, oddly enough usually when I'm actually in a huge hurry to get somewhere lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble light question

Quick Reply: Trouble light question