C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa top creaking solution- any one try this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Targa top creaking solution- any one try this?

This subject continues to surface on the forum and I wonder how many owners have tried this? My '08 C6 began creaking during the first month I owned it. GM first replaced the connectors but it lasted only for a few weeks. I then tried various lubes but this didn't work very long either. So I had some very thin and tough leather (think it is either Coach's water buffalo or kangaroo). By doubling it over and simply closing the latches on this, bingo no groans. A few times I've heard it again, so I relocated the leather and again it works.
On the light side..... remember this week's post of Vic DiBitetto's rantings regarding push button starts without keys? If he had owned a vette, I could only imagine his comments on this subject.

Last edited by Dirk Miller; 12-01-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same idea as some here have been wrapping their latches with the soft side of Velcro. The stick/slip concept seems to elude GM engineers, even though their redesigned latches indicated they narrowed the problem to the correct area, good for them, their remedy missed the mark, amazing.

Quick Reply: Targa top creaking solution- any one try this?