C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio blues

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 11:08 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Radio blues

Bought a 2005 beautiful blue C-6 and boy do I love it!
Now please be easy on me cause I'm brand new to the C-6. I'm first having the harmonic balancer changed just because the problem I've heard of them.
NOW THE PROBLEM. The radio does not work. When it's on it just sounds like the antenna is disconnected or that's what it sounds like. Popped a CD in the make sure if it wasn't a speaker problem and played soooo good. Any one have this problem or am I missing something or setting or where do I start. I have two C4's now ( both '92's a drop-top with the rare hard top accessory and a FX3 coupe) and I know about the Bose problem as most of them fail.
I Just bought this car so again I'm new to the C6. It a '05 6.0, 6-speed with 60K on the clock.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Smokeysvette; 12-04-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:48 PM
bassman50
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokeysvette
Now please be easy on me cause I'm brand new to the C-6. I'm first having the harmonic balancer changed just because the problem I've heard of them.
NOW THE PROBLEM. The radio does not work. When it's on it just sounds like the antenna is disconnected or that's what it sounds like. Popped a CD in the make sure if it wasn't a speaker problem and played soooo good. Any one have this problem or am I missing something or setting or where do I start. I have two C4's now ( both '92's a drop-top with the rare hard top accessory and a FX3 coupe) and I know about the Bose problem as most of them fail.
I Just bought this car so again I'm new to the C6. It a '05 6.0, 6-speed with 60K on the clock.
Thanks in advance
Do you live near any AM or FM stations? Also, you did not mention whether or not the problem was with AM only or FM.

Aside from those questions, if you're experiencing problems with only AM or FM, then it's possible an antenna lead became disconnected. If both are affected, then it's quite possible that something in the receiver section of the radio has failed, such as an RF (radio frequency) preamplifier, or something common to both the AM and FM. The rest of the radio system (amplifier, speakers) must be OK as you mentioned a CD sounded good.

Steve

Last edited by bassman50; 12-04-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:23 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Thanks in advance
PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the service manual portion for the Radio-Nav-Onstar systems with connector pin diagrams and schematics of the systems.
I can also send you a color coded wiring diagram as well.
It may be as simple as the antenna is disconnected from the back of the radio. You will have to remove the radio surround console to get the radio removed to access the back where the antenna plugs in.
I have instructions to remove the console if you need them.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-05-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:41 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is a Jpeg of the BOSE premium system and the Base radio/CD disc changer systems.
Copy images and zoom for better clarity

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-05-2016 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:01 AM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Originally Posted by bassman50
Do you live near any AM or FM stations? Also, you did not mention whether or not the problem was with AM only or FM.

Aside from those questions, if you're experiencing problems with only AM or FM, then it's possible an antenna lead became disconnected. If both are affected, then it's quite possible that something in the receiver section of the radio has failed, such as an RF (radio frequency) preamplifier, or something common to both the AM and FM. The rest of the radio system (amplifier, speakers) must be OK as you mentioned a CD sounded good.

Steve
Thanks bassman,
Yes does it on both FM and AM and sounds just like the antenna has been disconnected.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:19 AM
Smokeysvette
Pro

LV2TOUR
PM sent!

Last edited by Smokeysvette; 12-05-2016 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:53 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,469 Likes on 766 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I have found on my 2006 that the antenna is not stellar. I have an aftermarket stereo in with a very good FM receiver that I had installed in my C4 previously and I have found that I get FM fade at about 55mi from source at times.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:31 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

LV2TOUR
PM sent!
All the info was sent to your e-mail. Hopefully it is only a matter of removing the radio console, plugging in the Coax antenna cable on the back of the unit, and you get reception again.

Good Luck
Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Radio blues

Quick Reply: Radio blues