C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Car Battery Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:41 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Help with Car Battery Removal

Hi, I have a 2012 Grand Sport convertible and because it IS a convertible it does NOT have the dry sump oil system and because of that its battery is NOT in the trunk like it apparently is in GS coupes. Instead my battery is up front on the passenger side near the fire wall.

I'm bummed to see that battery removal is not even mentioned in my manual other than to tell me to see the Service Manual which I don't own.

My battery has died quite suddenly. Assuming i can jump start the car again as I did earlier today (with great difficulty)(and I just checked and it's now not able to start the car again on its own) I intend to drive it to the dealer and have them replace the battery for me. However, if I can't start it or if I just decide to go a route of doing this myself, I might go buy a battery and bring it home.

So, can someone share how hard/easy it is to remove and replace the battery in my '12 GS convertible??? I've attached a couple pictures of what appears to be a clamp like device at the base of the battery on the front side. My guess is that perhaps if one loosens the nut on top of that clamp like device (??), that the clamp can either come off or move out of the way at least so with the two battery cables removed, one could perhaps just lift the battery up off the tray and out of the car???

yes??? no??? And if you do get it loose is it hell to maneuver it out through the gap through which it needs to move or is it easy??? And what about putting one back in??? Easy??? Hard???

Any help would be much appreciated... Or maybe even a service manual page if that's easy??? I will also go look to see if there are any good YouTube videos on this task.

thanks much... bob

Last edited by diitto; 12-11-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:50 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

And here are the pictures I said I would attach but didn't do so above...

The round, silver thing is a washer under a nut. I'm guessing but it appears that perhaps if you undo that nut, the rubber or plastic looking clamp can perhaps be moved away from the battery to free it??? And I sure hope this is simply a stop and not another clamp on the backside as I would have no clue how one would ever access that side.

Thoughts on my post above about how to remove this battery??? And add a new one in its place???

thanks... bob
Attached Images    
Old 12-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by diitto

The round, silver thing is a washer under a nut. I'm guessing but it appears that perhaps if you undo that nut, the rubber or plastic looking clamp can perhaps be moved away from the battery to free it???

And I sure hope this is simply a stop and not another clamp on the backside as I would have no clue how one would ever access that side. thanks... bob
Replacing the battery is simple ... Remove both battery cables and remove that "washer under a nut" you mentioned ... that's the only removable battery hold-down you have.

Pull the battery straight up and out of the car.

You have never changed out a battery in a car before?
Old 12-11-2016, 11:06 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Replacing the battery is simple ... Remove both battery cables and remove that "washer under a nut" you mentioned ... that's the only removable battery hold-down you have.

Pull the battery straight up and out of the car.

You have never changed out a battery in a car before?
Yes, but never have I changed a battery in a Corvette... And I've done enough work in cars to know the devil is always in the details, like can the battery really come up out of the hole without you having to remove other cables or whatever... Thus the reason I asked... thanks... bob
Old 12-11-2016, 11:16 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Make sure you remove the negative cable first on your old battery. When installing the new battery, install the negative cable last. This will make sure you do not spark the cables.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:17 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Yes, but never have I changed a battery in a Corvette... And I've done enough work in cars to know the devil is always in the details, like can the battery really come up out of the hole without you having to remove other cables or whatever... Thus the reason I asked... thanks... bob
That's about it. The whole key is removing or loosing the battery case hold down nut and clip on the front side of the battery tray at the bottom. Remove the terminals, loosen or remove the hold down clip and lift out. A battery lift strap from any parts store will make the actual removal a little easier. Should take about ten minutes or less.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:28 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You will need to re-index the side windows after replacing the battery.

At least you do on a coupe ... I would think that it would need to be done on a vert too.

Instructions for indexing the windows are found in your owners manual.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:28 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Don't forget to re index your power windows. If you know someone with a tender that you can use for the day , that may give it enough juice to start the car. If not the removal is not too big a job.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:16 AM
fred D
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

A little late note. I see no one mentioned to not take the nuts off of the cable ends... Just loosen them enough to take the cables off.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:18 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Remove cables. Remove clamp at bottom of battery, take old battery out and put in new battery. Re-index windows. I love "Rocket Science"!! Lol
Old 12-12-2016, 07:26 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

At least you do on a coupe ... I would think that it would need to be done on a vert too.

Yes, it does have to be done in the vert as well. The top won't move unless the windows are indexed.

To the OP- Something to keep in mind before you try to drive your car with a dead battery, the car requires the battery to have a certain amount of voltage or it won't run properly. Modern cars do not run off of the alternator as 60's or 70's cars did. They require both a working alternator and a charged battery or it will not be able to run all of the required systems. It's very possible that it won't even fire on all cylinders.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:56 AM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts

Do not let the word "Corvette" freak you out. It is a car like all the others. Many times the procedures are actually easier on a Corvette than many other cars. I think the only thing you may have to do is re-index the windows after you install the new battery.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:06 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

As said in post #5, it is very important to remove the NEGATIVE cable first, then the positive cable. When you install the new battery, connect the POSITIVE cable first, then the negative cable. This will avoid a possible spark which could result in the battery blowing up.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:23 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by seijack
Do not let the word "Corvette" freak you out. It is a car like all the others. Many times the procedures are actually easier on a Corvette than many other cars. I think the only thing you may have to do is re-index the windows after you install the new battery.
This is well said. So with that in mind changing the batt should go something like this......Dis-connect old battery......loosen and remove hold downs. Remove old battery. Place in new battery and reverse procedures. And watch your fingers !!!!!....LOL
Old 12-12-2016, 10:52 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

And if you are lucky like I was on my 2010 base I did NOT have to reindex the windows. You will have no problems. It almost takes longer to explain the process than to do it!

Last edited by Vet Interested; 12-12-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:19 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I see it's been said at least twice but just to reiterate, there is one thing that is well-known and a problem. Loosen those nuts on the battery cables, but make sure NOT to let them drop off. First, they can be difficult to find in the engine bay unless you get lucky. And last, they are not easy to find replacements for, and they are odd in their cut. Your cable will not tighten on the post with a regular nut as a substitute.

As a last precaution, I figured it couldn't hurt anything if I placed a worthless blanket over the nearby fender just in case I smacked it with the battery as I was pulling it out, or swinging it over the fender to the floor. I did, I did, and I did. And thus, no damage. Just kind of laffing at myself the whole time.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:48 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by windyC6
This is well said. So with that in mind changing the batt should go something like this...open hood...Dis-connect old battery......loosen and remove hold downs. Remove old battery. Place in new battery and reverse procedures. And watch your fingers !!!!!....LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Car Battery Removal

Old 12-12-2016, 02:33 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Well OK Rux. You got me there...LOL. But i guess we could go on forever with that....open door so you can pull latch to open
hood.....etc....etc....
Old 12-12-2016, 02:37 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well OK Rux. You got me there...LOL. But i guess we could go on forever with that....open door so you can pull latch to open
hood.....etc....etc....
Get out of bed, put on cloths, go to garage...
Old 12-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Get out of bed, put on cloths, go to garage...
Microfiber or red shop version? Hope that garage door is closed or the neighbors are going to get a show....

Quick Reply: Help with Car Battery Removal