C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tunnel Plate shield/insulation

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 05:00 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts
Default Tunnel Plate shield/insulation

OK I have searched and am tired of lookin.
Who has done the insulation and what/who did you use Please ? How/ what process, did you do the plates or just the tunnel, from underneath ?? Don't want to replace the tunnel BTW
I've got my headers on order and think it would be a good idea to insulate that area
Thanks in advance
NSF
Old 12-14-2016, 05:08 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

This is what I bought: Z/Cool Thermal Tunnel Shield. Got it from a forum member/vendor. I was able to jack the car up and do it in my garage. It's a bit tricky to install lying on your back and not removing anything, but it can be done. The adhesive is some top notch monkey gism. Sticky, sticky, sticky.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:09 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

On my 2005, I installed the tunnel plate from Elite Engineering. Did it help? A little. It is not going to be a huge difference but enough to make sure you don’t burn yourself on a quarter in the center console.

I would never do this install by itself. I only did it because I was installing headers. The install requires that you drop the x-pipe (or h-pipe) and since you have to remove the stock pipe for the header install, it made sense to do it at the same time.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:32 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,914 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I went the other route with Crazy Cowboys interior insulation kit. Requires removing seats and carpet but it is fairly easy. Hardest part for me was the door seal trim removal. Should have been very easy but a few of the metal clips were stuck in the adhesive used to bond the lower seal body panel. Carpet and insulation came out in 2 big tubs.

Used metal duct tape to seal all seams and doubled up around rear tires to reduce road noise. Works for both heat and noise.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:00 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

As you know, the best time to install an Insulated Aluminum Tunnel Plate is when you have all the exhaust removed at the time your putting headers and matching x-pipe on the car.

At that point, it is really simple ... lots of small fasteners to remove and replace, but they are all easy to get to.

I used the "Elite Engineering" Insulated Aluminum Tunnel Plate (P/N: ALTA-250)

The following users liked this post:
beavisr1 (08-09-2017)
Old 12-14-2016, 07:00 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys, but I don't want to replace the tunnel shield so I think this will suffice and at a reduced cost, this is costing me too much as it is The whole purpose is heat reduction
NSF
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C5-C6-Corvet...5TrvQi&vxp=mtr
Old 12-14-2016, 07:25 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Good call. I bet you can get it cheaper than that ebay price, though. Google it and shop around....
Old 12-14-2016, 07:45 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by airmed2
Good call. I bet you can get it cheaper than that ebay price, though. Google it and shop around....
Yep, already did that $79 shipped !!!
In your opinion did it help the tunnel heat at all ??
I'm not expecting a big reduction but some would be good.
Like the above illustration of install on inner part of tunnel also, gotta a few weeks to decide
Thanks
NSF
Old 12-14-2016, 09:13 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,253 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
On my 2005, I installed the tunnel plate from Elite Engineering. Did it help? A little. It is not going to be a huge difference but enough to make sure you don’t burn yourself on a quarter in the center console.

I would never do this install by itself. I only did it because I was installing headers. The install requires that you drop the x-pipe (or h-pipe) and since you have to remove the stock pipe for the header install, it made sense to do it at the same time.
This is exactly what I did.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:57 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Honestly, I never felt the interior was overly hot to begin with. Yes, the cup holders got warm, and the center console storage, but to me, it was just a quirk of the car. I opted for something simple, yet what I would deem effective. With it's reflective properties, it obviously deflects some heat...and it does. I've never done any measurements, but I could tell it wasn't as warm as before.

I'm sure an all out metal heat shield that allows a secondary spacing between the shield and the car would be ideal. But in the end, I'm glad I went with this since the price was right and I feel it does its job.

I would recommend having your vehicle up on a lift rather that what I did. The directions call for fitting the entire piece in place with the adhesion side up (reflective side down / obviously). The you use duct tape on the film that is removed which exposes the sticky side. You peel that back by pulling the duck tape (I did it from back to front). Make sure everything is positioned properly before beginning that process. Once it's adhered, there's no turning back.

jf
Old 12-14-2016, 09:59 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

This is what I bought: Z/Cool Thermal Tunnel Shield. Got it from a forum member/vendor. I was able to jack the car up and do it in my garage. It's a bit tricky to install lying on your back and not removing anything, but it can be done. The adhesive is some top notch monkey gism. Sticky, sticky, sticky.
We did the exact same thing on my base C6. We pulled the car up on race ramps and did not remove anything but as stated above, once you line it up and STICK it to the plate you are NOT gonna remove it. I'd suggest having an assistant which will make it much easier. One person on each end. I am sure the shield helps, it has to,........but I did not notice any difference inside the car or the console. But every little bit helps.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:20 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by wayback
I went the other route with Crazy Cowboys interior insulation kit. Requires removing seats and carpet but it is fairly easy. Hardest part for me was the door seal trim removal. Should have been very easy but a few of the metal clips were stuck in the adhesive used to bond the lower seal body panel. Carpet and insulation came out in 2 big tubs.

Used metal duct tape to seal all seams and doubled up around rear tires to reduce road noise. Works for both heat and noise.
That's what I did too. It just made the whole car feel tighter, since a lot of the road noise was gone along with tunnel heat. Since then, I've helped a couple friends do their cars. Instead of buying the pre-cut kit, we went to Home Depot and got a roll of the same insulation. I used to use lots of it in the 4' x 100' rolls for insulation in a customer's product. It's basically 2 sheets of aluminum foil bonded to 1/4" bubblewrap. Hold in place with spray adhesive and tape the seams.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix...8025/100052556
http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-17-6-o...0-24/100151277
http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-89-in-x...8777/100187909

Last edited by HOXXOH; 12-14-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Vet Interested (12-22-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 12:03 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Honestly, I never felt the interior was overly hot to begin with. Yes, the cup holders got warm, and the center console storage, but to me, it was just a quirk of the car. I opted for something simple, yet what I would deem effective. With it's reflective properties, it obviously deflects some heat...and it does. I've never done any measurements, but I could tell it wasn't as warm as before.

I'm sure an all out metal heat shield that allows a secondary spacing between the shield and the car would be ideal. But in the end, I'm glad I went with this since the price was right and I feel it does its job.

I would recommend having your vehicle up on a lift rather that what I did. The directions call for fitting the entire piece in place with the adhesion side up (reflective side down / obviously). The you use duct tape on the film that is removed which exposes the sticky side. You peel that back by pulling the duck tape (I did it from back to front). Make sure everything is positioned properly before beginning that process. Once it's adhered, there's no turning back.

jf
You missed my post I guess, I'm getting headers so it will be installed at that time
I don't notice any excessive heat now but thought why not do it while it is clear to work on They do give you instructions correct
Thanks
NSF
Old 12-15-2016, 01:08 AM
airmed2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
You missed my post I guess, I'm getting headers so it will be installed at that time
I don't notice any excessive heat now but thought why not do it while it is clear to work on They do give you instructions correct
Thanks
NSF
Yes, instructions were included. If not, I believe I still have all that information in my records. Having the pipes out will make this a piece of cake.

jf
Not So Fast (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 04:58 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

I bought 2 sheets of the high temp stick on insulation from Amazon and installed it on the tunnel plate, the same time as the header install. One foot by two foot pieces, trimmed to the plate. "Thermo-Tec 13575 12" X 24" Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier" It did make a noticeable difference in console and cup holder heat. But I also will be doing the interior insulation this winter, as others have done above, hoping for more heat reduction, and also trying to reduce road noise.

Last edited by Seadawg; 12-15-2016 at 05:45 AM.
Not So Fast (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Seadawg
I bought 2 sheets of the high temp stick on insulation from Amazon and installed it on the tunnel plate, the same time as the header install. One foot by two foot pieces, trimmed to the plate. "Thermo-Tec 13575 12" X 24" Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier" It did make a noticeable difference in console and cup holder heat. But I also will be doing the interior insulation this winter, as others have done above, hoping for more heat reduction, and also trying to reduce road noise.
For the sides (or remainder of the tunnel below the plate) I'm wondering if the "Peel & Seal" stuff from Lowes would work, and better yet stay put ??
Any idea how hot the sides of the tunnel gets ??
NSF
Old 12-15-2016, 10:38 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Yep, already did that $79 shipped !!!
In your opinion did it help the tunnel heat at all ??
I'm not expecting a big reduction but some would be good.
Like the above illustration of install on inner part of tunnel also, gotta a few weeks to decide
Thanks
NSF
This it, on sale?

https://specialty-auto-materials.net...e-heat-shield/

Get notified of new replies

To Tunnel Plate shield/insulation

Old 12-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by extrapilot
Yep, that be the place, just ordered it.
Also got a call back from Kooks as I had a question so it was nice to see they do return calls
I'm slowly assembling things, anxious for sure !!
NSF
Old 12-15-2016, 01:09 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Another much simpler, quicker, and less expensive direction while the exhaust is out of the car, is a double plate.

Done on a friend's GS last Summer, but failed to document it with actual temperature measurements. He did notice a heat reduction in the console though.

All that's required is a second tunnel plate and a bunch of 1/8" thick washers. Since I had an excess of 1" OD by 1/4" ID aluminum washers, they worked perfect for him.

Just place the washers between the two plates and install as normal. The space between is constantly flowing air that takes away the heat being absorbed through the lower plate before it has a chance to be absorbed by the upper plate.
It works on the same principle as an air curtain on a building entrance that has doorways that are always open during business hours.

If you want to improve the efficiency, increasing the size of the first 2 or 3 holes from the front on the lower plate to allow the screws to pass through to the upper plate. Then you can bend the front few inches of the lower plate down slightly to capture a larger chunk of air to flow between the plates.

Now if you had an aluminum capable spotwelder or drilled/punched additional holes in the plates for plug welding, you could bypass the washers and make two narrow strips to sandwich on each side and weld together. Not only would that still allow airflow, but increase the stiffness to nearly the same as a 3/8" thick plate with only about half the weight penalty.

I would have done this years ago if all I wanted was to decrease tunnel heat in the driver/passenger/console area.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:28 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Another much simpler, quicker, and less expensive direction while the exhaust is out of the car, is a double plate.

Done on a friend's GS last Summer, but failed to document it with actual temperature measurements. He did notice a heat reduction in the console though.

All that's required is a second tunnel plate and a bunch of 1/8" thick washers. Since I had an excess of 1" OD by 1/4" ID aluminum washers, they worked perfect for him.

Just place the washers between the two plates and install as normal. The space between is constantly flowing air that takes away the heat being absorbed through the lower plate before it has a chance to be absorbed by the upper plate.
It works on the same principle as an air curtain on a building entrance that has doorways that are always open during business hours.

If you want to improve the efficiency, increasing the size of the first 2 or 3 holes from the front on the lower plate to allow the screws to pass through to the upper plate. Then you can bend the front few inches of the lower plate down slightly to capture a larger chunk of air to flow between the plates.

Now if you had an aluminum capable spotwelder or drilled/punched additional holes in the plates for plug welding, you could bypass the washers and make two narrow strips to sandwich on each side and weld together. Not only would that still allow airflow, but increase the stiffness to nearly the same as a 3/8" thick plate with only about half the weight penalty.

I would have done this years ago if all I wanted was to decrease tunnel heat in the driver/passenger/console area.
Now that's thinking buddy Thanks
NSF

Quick Reply: Tunnel Plate shield/insulation