C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

base vs z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:28 PM
Whysoslow
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default base vs z06

posted in the new members intro section, but think i would get more thoughts here.

Been looking across the country for a c6, struggling whether i want to buy a base and mod it or a z06 and keep it the way it is for a while.

I live in new england and this would be a fun weekend/summer car for me.

say max budget being $32k tops. Obviously base is easily attainable there and Z's with mileage creeping up at my top end.

If you were doing it over again, would you buy a Z and be done....or base and mods?

look forward to the discussion.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:46 AM
Coach Borne
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Z06...
I had a 2008 1LT base with a few mods and a tune... sold it for a 2011 3LT GS.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Try and raise the budget to move into a GS or Z06. I have a base. I had a range where I wanted the payment, in retrospect I should have raised my budget. I really enjoy the car regardless.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:08 AM
TomcatMF
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the Z06 if you can. You won't regret it, whereas you might regret it if you don't. It really is a special car.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:10 AM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

Had a base convertible and quickly decided I needed (wanted) a GS. I LOVE my GS. It may not have the raw power of a Z06, but ample to put a smile on it every time I get behind the wheel, for me to have fun, and to completely enjoy the car.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:17 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Whysoslow
If you were doing it over again, would you buy a Z and be done....or base and mods?
Owned a base, Z51, and now a Z06 for past 8 years.
IMO get a Z, amazing performance far outweighs open air Targa top.
Cost for a build to equal, potential reliability issues for a LS2/3 vs stock LS7 makes it a no brainer.

Driven sanely () a LS7 delivers stunning MPG also, considering available power/tq/handling/comfort it's unmatched when it comes to bang for the $. OTOH it quickly goes cruise missile if/when needed.

However unless a Z06's covered by an aftermarket warranty, there's one thing a potential owner needs to know. Make it priority #1 to have heads thoroughly inspected. Closely check valves making sure they're in spec. Repair and/or replace as required.
*Excessive valve guide wear's allegedly responsible for valve failure, and when/if a LS7 frags it's totally trashed.
FYI a new LS7 is not cheap, been quoted north of $20K for a replacement. Far more than the ~$3K cost of rebuilt heads, for sure.
Go LS7 be smart, be proactive on this matter or there's no one but yourself to blame if it were to let loose.

I've GMEPP coverage, have had since orig B2B expired; but, absent coverage my heads would've been rebuilt long ago.

C6 Z06 is a very special car for many reasons, unless you already have you MUST drive a Z06. Then, I bet your decision's easy.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:21 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Maybe you should be posting this in the C6 Z06 forum.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:23 AM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

If you were to buy a base model, what mods are you planning on doing? Performance or appearance? If it's performance, just get the Z. If it's appearance go for the GS. If you really like the wide body look, don't get the base model. Get the GS or Z. If you just want to get into a vette, base model has lot's of power already.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:29 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Get a Z06 but raise your budget. Not gonna find a nice one for 32k. Doubtful anyway.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:37 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

The C6 Z06 shares the aluminum frame with the ZR1 which means no targa top. Z06 only comes with a manual transmission. If you want a vert, targa or automatic transmission, then the GS is your best bet.

Note too there are a couple of different flavors of base model C6 cars. You can get one with our without the Z51 package which has heavier springs/sways and different shocks along with some brake mods.
The GS also includes the Z51 package and more. My base does not have the Z51 package. I liked the smoother ride but in the corners it had way too much body roll. I updated the sways to GS/Z06 bars and it's much better.

After owning a GS, my biggest complaint was the tires. They are more expensive and don't last. However, it handled amazingly.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted!!
Old 12-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Whysoslow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Curt D
Try and raise the budget to move into a GS or Z06. I have a base. I had a range where I wanted the payment, in retrospect I should have raised my budget. I really enjoy the car regardless.
I've found plenty of Z's within the $32k range, like you, i do like having a certain payment but definitely open to bigger payments for the right car.

Originally Posted by TomcatMF
Get the Z06 if you can. You won't regret it, whereas you might regret it if you don't. It really is a special car.
This is where I've been leaning. last time i bought a base vehicle when looking at a performance car, i got suckered into a regular neon (was 18 at the time) a few short years later i was in the SRT4 which i originally wanted to buy and also, one of the best bangs for the buck IMO. salesman got me there as payments wouldn't have been much more at all.

Originally Posted by AL_Jazz
Had a base convertible and quickly decided I needed (wanted) a GS. I LOVE my GS. It may not have the raw power of a Z06, but ample to put a smile on it every time I get behind the wheel, for me to have fun, and to completely enjoy the car.
i am not much of a vert fan, so that's been easily ruled out for me. I like the appearance of the GS but to me looks are a great feature but not worth the extra cost without extra power. though, searching for vettes have lead me to seeing that the GS seems to be the trim holding it's value the best right now. I think that will change in a few years and the Z will increase in value.

Originally Posted by Landru
Owned a base, Z51, and now a Z06 for past 8 years.
IMO get a Z, amazing performance far outweighs open air Targa top.
Cost for a build to equal, potential reliability issues for a LS2/3 vs stock LS7 makes it a no brainer.

Driven sanely () a LS7 delivers stunning MPG also, considering available power/tq/handling/comfort it's unmatched when it comes to bang for the $. OTOH it quickly goes cruise missile if/when needed.

However unless a Z06's covered by an aftermarket warranty, there's one thing a potential owner needs to know. Make it priority #1 to have heads thoroughly inspected. Closely check valves making sure they're in spec. Repair and/or replace as required.
*Excessive valve guide wear's allegedly responsible for valve failure, and when/if a LS7 frags it's totally trashed.
FYI a new LS7 is not cheap, been quoted north of $20K for a replacement. Far more than the ~$3K cost of rebuilt heads, for sure.
Go LS7 be smart, be proactive on this matter or there's no one but yourself to blame if it were to let loose.

I've GMEPP coverage, have had since orig B2B expired; but, absent coverage my heads would've been rebuilt long ago.

C6 Z06 is a very special car for many reasons, unless you already have you MUST drive a Z06. Then, I bet your decision's easy.
First thing i would do would be head work if it hasn't been done on the car i buy. Only reason i wouldn't start crazy mods on the Z would be the fact of the raw power it has in stock form. so, i should have wrote that the Z would get heads, cam and intake upfront. if i buy now, it's the perfect time up here with snow on the ground.

understanding the Z being a special car, i am over the threshold in leaning that way unless some base shows up for a ridiculously low price. The Z is more likely to increase in future value which i try to tell the wife that LOL. IMO it looks like it's going 200mph in the driveway. Perfect in my eyes.

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Maybe you should be posting this in the C6 Z06 forum.
Figured both base and Z owners would be lurking in the C6 general discussion and was hoping for both trim owners feedback. i have been lurking in the Z forum for knowledge in my decision making though.

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
If you were to buy a base model, what mods are you planning on doing? Performance or appearance? If it's performance, just get the Z. If it's appearance go for the GS. If you really like the wide body look, don't get the base model. Get the GS or Z. If you just want to get into a vette, base model has lot's of power already.
That's where the slippery slope begins. First things first would be performance and end up being a procharged car. Then i would get way too deep and mod everything and have a $45k base vette haha.

Currently i have a 300c SRT8, which i love and it puts a smile on my face when i drive it and is the most comfortable car i've owned. I was ready to start modding it and just miss really driving a manual car, there's only so much fun to be had with 2 pedals IMO.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:53 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Beats me how the GS came into this. It's not faster - some say slower - than the base. The OP clearly wants a go fast either through moding the base or going Z06.

OP - go Z06. It has many improvements over the base that aren't possible through modding such as the alloy frame. Also you mod the base and you harm the resale value while the Z06 is the only C6 which may retain value in the long run. The ZR-1 is the only real collector C6.

Unless the mod project calls to you, get the Z06 but don't expect to get a good one for your budget. Instead take the $32k budget and add the mod costs. That should sum enough to buy a good Z06.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:03 AM
Whysoslow
Advanced

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
Get a Z06 but raise your budget. Not gonna find a nice one for 32k. Doubtful anyway.
I've seen some nice ones for that price. mileage being in the 60k+ range though. doing heads right away seems to keep them rather bulletproof from what i gather. I honestly was a day late on buying one while on vacation in florida for $25k with MODS. a guy bought it the night before or else it would be in my garage today. Dealers in the warmer climates have told me the market dropped with the new GS coming out recently.

Originally Posted by unixcorn
The C6 Z06 shares the aluminum frame with the ZR1 which means no targa top. Z06 only comes with a manual transmission. If you want a vert, targa or automatic transmission, then the GS is your best bet.

Note too there are a couple of different flavors of base model C6 cars. You can get one with our without the Z51 package which has heavier springs/sways and different shocks along with some brake mods.
The GS also includes the Z51 package and more. My base does not have the Z51 package. I liked the smoother ride but in the corners it had way too much body roll. I updated the sways to GS/Z06 bars and it's much better.

After owning a GS, my biggest complaint was the tires. They are more expensive and don't last. However, it handled amazingly.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted!!
I would love a Targa top, but can definitely get passed that for the Z. I like the GS but IMO i would go Z no questions asked if i were including GS in my wants. GS seem to be holding value better than some Z's though, but still a Z over GS for me.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Whysoslow
Advanced

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Beats me how the GS came into this. It's not faster - some say slower - than the base. The OP clearly wants a go fast either through moding the base or going Z06.

OP - go Z06. It has many improvements over the base that aren't possible through modding such as the alloy frame. Also you mod the base and you harm the resale value while the Z06 is the only C6 which may retain value in the long run. The ZR-1 is the only real collector C6.

Unless the mod project calls to you, get the Z06 but don't expect to get a good one for your budget. Instead take the $32k budget and add the mod costs. That should sum enough to buy a good Z06.
haha exactly, i have zero intentions on a GS.

I like tinkering with my cars but doing Mods is not an absolute things i want to do just to say i built the car. I agree with you that the Z will be the only retainable future value, but i can see myself owning the Z for a long time or until i got some ridiculous offer i couldn't refuse. ZR-1 would be awesome, but collector i am not and well out of my price range.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:15 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Whysoslow
haha exactly, i have zero intentions on a GS.

I like tinkering with my cars but doing Mods is not an absolute things i want to do just to say i built the car. I agree with you that the Z will be the only retainable future value, but i can see myself owning the Z for a long time or until i got some ridiculous offer i couldn't refuse. ZR-1 would be awesome, but collector i am not and well out of my price range.
Those who own GS's seem to think their hammer is the only tool in the toolkit.

Get the Z then. An alternative would be a major modder's C6 such as a Callaway. IMO, OEM is the right way to go unless you have an idea not included in the OEM's version such as a supercharger.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:01 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

I have owned a base coupe. (2) different Z06s and now I am in a Grand Sport.

I am regretting getting rid of the Z06, but that is just me. A lot depends on what is truly important to you. The Grand Sport is a slug compared to the Z06 and I really miss that extra performance that you get from the lighter weight and extra horses under the hood.

Some people really value the targa top. I hate mine and would much rather have a fixed roof. But if that's your thing then the base or GS might be for you.

It is an important decision. Don't rush it. Good to see you are doing research here.

Good Luck!
Old 12-22-2016, 01:12 PM
bassman50
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a base model coupe with the A6 and Z51 suspension and couldn't be happier, but that's just me. The ZO6 is a wonderful car and for the performance aspect, my thoughts are that it would be wiser to seek out a really clean ZO6 rather than locate a base model and make performance tweaks to it. I believe in the long run, it will cost you more to upgrade the performance of a base than just plunk down for the Z.

It's great you are evaluating things and taking your time with your purchase. Best of luck!

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To base vs z06

Old 12-22-2016, 01:30 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If budget is tight, and only $32k, then get the base. Z will need significant added cost. Tires, brakes, heads, etc.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:30 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
Well said!
Old 12-22-2016, 02:26 PM
Whysoslow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Unreal
If budget is tight, and only $32k, then get the base. Z will need significant added cost. Tires, brakes, heads, etc.
$32k is for the purchase of the car, not all included.i wouldn't finance tires, brakes, heads, etc. Depending on the car, i would at least do heads immediately. probably more like H/C/I maybe more depending.

Quick Reply: base vs z06