C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back-up camera for a 2008 C6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 04:36 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Back-up camera for a 2008 C6?

We just got back from Christmas vacation. Didn't have a 'vette for my rental car, but we did manage to get a 2016 Camaro. One feature we loved was the back up camera. It got me thinking - is there a straightforward kit for this for a 2008 C6? I don't have any kind of infotainment screen in my car, so there may not be a reasonable option, but thought I'd ask the best community I know of, to find out.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:36 AM
Wetrudgeon
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Did a little bit of looking into this for the red car. There is an option that links a camera with an app on a smart phone. Not very expensive but it seemed cumbersome to use. We passed.

We trudge on.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't looked into it, but I suspected as much. Without already having a built in screen for it, adding a camera and then fumbling with a phone seems like it misses the point. I suppose if one was replacing the stock entertainment system, then it might be possible to have a system with a screen that would accept a camera input, but there is also the electronic element of patching that feed when in reverse. Likely not complicated to solve, but may be more pain trying to add than not.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Rockgeezer
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably more than you want to spend but I bought a new aftermarket head from Dennis at Double D Mods to install in my 2008 and he included a backup camera. I installed everything myself with his directions and a nice photo tutorial found here on the forums. There were several things I wanted with the installation including Car Play for my iPhone which I like a lot, more eq adjustment, larger, brighter screen and the backup camera. It was a pretty easy installation and the camera works well so I'm completely satisfied with what I chose to do.
There are dedicated camera units from Amazon, Costco, etc. with small dedicated screens to mount on your dash so that may be all you need but just mentioning what I installed since it works well for me. I mounted the camera right above the license plate frame in the center and ran the wires utilizing openings already there so no drilling or modifications were needed. Contact Dennis at DoubleDMods if you want to upgrade your system.

Last edited by Rockgeezer; 01-01-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:07 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like there are some options worth looking into.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

I am also looking for a back up camera for my '06. There are some I would definitely avoid. There is one that requires you to manually open the app on your cell phone every time you back up. There is another one with a delay. Garmin has some that work with their navigation system, but there are some bad reviews for picture quality.

My ideal would be a built in unit with android auto and USB ports. I would have to hire somebody for the installation since I am somewhat of a clutz. My car is only worth around $20,000. I can't see spending a lot of money on comfort and convenience features on a car that is over 10 years old.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Rockgeezer
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
I am also looking for a back up camera for my '06. There are some I would definitely avoid. There is one that requires you to manually open the app on your cell phone every time you back up. There is another one with a delay. Garmin has some that work with their navigation system, but there are some bad reviews for picture quality.

My ideal would be a built in unit with android auto and USB ports. I would have to hire somebody for the installation since I am somewhat of a clutz. My car is only worth around $20,000. I can't see spending a lot of money on comfort and convenience features on a car that is over 10 years old.
I have really enjoyed the new radio and all the features. It wasn't a ton of money and I ended up selling the factory Nav unit here on the forum to offset cost just a little. The Kenwood DDS9903S unit I got from Dennis has both Apple Car Play and Android Auto plus I got the XM radio module and adapter to use the existing XM antenna. I also utilized the existing FM/GPS antennas and with the backup camera, am very happy I made the change. If you plan on keeping the car for a few more years, I think you would enjoy the switch. It's a fairly easy plug and play installation and Dennis is very quick to reply to email or phone with any questions.
The following users liked this post:
Sunnyvale Dave (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 01:00 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 548 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave

You can get a nice setup if you just want to swap out the head unit and get a back up camera. I'm in the proses of doing that now in my GS. I really want to have my own music and pandora But the unit I got has so much more. For a little over 500.00. Dennis set me up with a killer head unit with a back up camera wired to go. On most cars that's as easy as taking the console out and swapping the head unit by just unplugging and plugging in the new head unit and putting things back together. Camera install is kinda simple. With a diy here on the forum. And if and when you get a new car just swap it out for the new car.
The following users liked this post:
Sunnyvale Dave (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 01:01 PM
PaulEddie
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Backup Camera

Originally Posted by Midnight08
We just got back from Christmas vacation. Didn't have a 'vette for my rental car, but we did manage to get a 2016 Camaro. One feature we loved was the back up camera. It got me thinking - is there a straightforward kit for this for a 2008 C6? I don't have any kind of infotainment screen in my car, so there may not be a reasonable option, but thought I'd ask the best community I know of, to find out.

I bought a Yada system from Pep Boys ($80.00). It wires into your backup lights (the transmitter and camera) and mounts to your license plate and transmits wirelessly, no need to run wires through car. I double taped it above the rear view mirror.

Last edited by PaulEddie; 01-01-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:18 PM
PaulEddie
Instructor

Originally Posted by PaulEddie
I bought a Yada system from Pep Boys ($80.00). It wires into your backup lights (the transmitter and camera) and mounts to your license plate and transmits wirelessly, no need to run wires through car. I double taped it above the rear view mirror.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/664327/01682
Old 01-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,377 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The photo looks like the display screen is attached to the inside frame of the targa top, and would come off when you remove the top.

Is that correct, or is something different?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:30 AM
PaulEddie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The photo looks like the display screen is attached to the inside frame of the targa top, and would come off when you remove the top.

Is that correct, or is something different?
That's correct.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:51 AM
2kredsilverado
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They sell small screens you can run as a dedicated backup screen mounted somewhere on your dash then just pick up a cheap camera and wireless transmitter and you're good to go. Amazon is your friend
Old 01-02-2017, 10:45 AM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

A forum member ,LV2TOUR, installed a backup camera putting the screen in his visor. Look him up and ask him to email you the pdf of his install.
That's the route I'm taking for my 08 and my 95 vert.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 772 Likes on 709 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I went for a basic set up. The camera is hardwired and works well. I mounted the monitor using a ProClip.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 882 Posts

I just bought a new truck, and it has a camera.

I thought I would like it, because of neck surgery I had 5 years ago that left it difficult to turn my head around like normal people.

Since the surgery I have learned to use my mirrors all the time, and I still use them on the truck with the camera.

Main reasons:

- With the camera you cannot see what is on the side of your vehicle

- The camera gives a distorted view like the right-side mirror, "Objects are closer than they appear . . . "

- I was backing up in a big parking lot using the camera, and it looked like I had all kinds of room between me and the cars in the row behind. I looked in my mirror and saw, undistorted, that I was much closer to them than I thought.

- Using the three mirrors gives you a lot more info than the camera does, except for a small object that might be directly behind you

I suppose one toddler got killed 10 years ago in Podunk by his irresponsible father, so cameras will be MANDATORY in the near future. And guess who pays for them?

And what will the Washington tyrants do next when a toddler gets killed by someone who DOES have a camera on their vehicle?
Old 01-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Thanks all, for the many options and experiences shared. This is a real help, not only for our C6, but also our other vehicles, too.

Relative to the last post, I think one can tap into any technology they find useful, when it comes to the safety of people and vehicles. In the last year, my wife, then me, had rental vehicles with this capability. For us, while it was no substitute for using the side mirrors, in each instance we found them extremely useful when it came to dealing with distances to objects behind us, especially useful in vehicles we weren't familiar with. I found it useful, too, to know how close I was to the back strip in a parking spot, or the edge of a curb, etc. Certainly no substitute for what side mirrors and my brain do for me, but a very useful tool, nonetheless.

Get notified of new replies

To Back-up camera for a 2008 C6?

Old 01-02-2017, 06:30 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Thanks all, for the many options and experiences shared. This is a real help, not only for our C6, but also our other vehicles, too.

Relative to the last post, I think one can tap into any technology they find useful, when it comes to the safety of people and vehicles. In the last year, my wife, then me, had rental vehicles with this capability. For us, while it was no substitute for using the side mirrors, in each instance we found them extremely useful when it came to dealing with distances to objects behind us, especially useful in vehicles we weren't familiar with. I found it useful, too, to know how close I was to the back strip in a parking spot, or the edge of a curb, etc. Certainly no substitute for what side mirrors and my brain do for me, but a very useful tool, nonetheless.
Well yes, it's just one more step to mandatory self-driving vehicles, when Corvettes will no longer be made, legal vehicles will NOT exceed any speed limit, will accelerate and brake according to computer algorithms that maximize fuel efficiency and safety, and old vehicles (including Corvettes) will not be able to be licensed -- too "dangerous" and inefficient.

There are some benefits of being old, when you can just speculate on the future but won't be affected by it, lol.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by Bruze
Well yes, it's just one more step to mandatory self-driving vehicles, when Corvettes will no longer be made, legal vehicles will NOT exceed any speed limit, will accelerate and brake according to computer algorithms that maximize fuel efficiency and safety, and old vehicles (including Corvettes) will not be able to be licensed -- too "dangerous" and inefficient.

There are some benefits of being old, when you can just speculate on the future but won't be affected by it, lol.

With respect, given the general stupidity of humans who can't prioritize their own safety, and that of others, relative to their transient urges, like to use a cell phone while driving, the world you describe rooted in fear and too many late-night movies will never be. More people die daily from distracted driving than will ever die as a result of the poor use of a back-up camera. When I was in Georgia this summer, they had a digital sign posting how many had lost their lives year to date. When I got home, I discovered that no fewer than 2200 people had died in that state alone in just the last two years. One state of fifty - a pretty ugly and short sighted story if you ask me. And, just about every day I drive, I see fools weaving, or slowing, or sitting still at green lights, simply because they don't have the wisdom to focus on their driving. That is lame, and sad, and real, and has nothing to do with any government conspiracy one wants to fabricate.

Sorry for the rant, but my cell phone lives on my desk OFF, 95% of the time. It is with me only when I choose to use it, like any other tech that serves, and only when still or in a hotel room. I respect my safety and that of others much more than a desire to communicate with others while I drive.

Last edited by Midnight08; 01-02-2017 at 06:50 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 01-02-2017, 07:03 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

With respect, given the general stupidity of humans who can't prioritize their own safety, and that of others, relative to their transient urges, like to use a cell phone while driving, the world you describe rooted in fear and too many late-night movies will never be. More people die daily from distracted driving than will ever die as a result of the poor use of a back-up camera. When I was in Georgia this summer, they had a digital sign posting how many had lost their lives year to date. When I got home, I discovered that no fewer than 2200 people had died in that state alone in just the last two years. One state of fifty - a pretty ugly and short sighted story if you ask me. And, just about every day I drive, I see fools weaving, or slowing, or sitting still at green lights, simply because they don't have the wisdom to focus on their driving. That is lame, and sad, and real, and has nothing to do with any government conspiracy one wants to fabricate.

Sorry for the rant, but my cell phone lives on my desk OFF, 95% of the time. It is with me only when I choose to use it, like any other tech that serves, and only when still or in a hotel room. I respect my safety and that of others much more than a desire to communicate with others while I drive.
I don't disagree with your comments on cell phone use, yet it is one more reason/excuse for The Nanny State to take over every aspect of our daily lives.

The people who hold political power, who feed off of our money by the use of force, ALWAYS have more insight/intelligence than we common people do -- it's one way they use to justify their jobs, salary, and cushy benefits and retirements.

Quick Reply: Back-up camera for a 2008 C6?