C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Convertible Top Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 04:14 PM
shakinrock
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Black Convertible Top Scratches

Hi, I have a black convertible top with a few scratches. The schatch marks are white. I tried a good cleaner but I still see the scratches.

What is the best product available to cover the scratches on my black top?
Old 01-05-2017, 06:14 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

pictures of the "white" scratches or marks would help.....................

they do show slight discoloration/marks where the material rubs together on all colors.........
Old 01-06-2017, 08:40 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
pictures of the "white" scratches or marks would help.....................

they do show slight discoloration/marks where the material rubs together on all colors.........

All tops show "wear" marks to varying degrees. Clean and condition will help. I've never had them bad enough to require fixing. Perhaps someone else will chime in otherwise I would think a fabric dye or pen would work. Then put a conditioner, aka water proofing on it. I prefer Ragg Topp or 303 with a new, small paint roller and pan. Beats the heck out of spraying it on!
Old 01-06-2017, 09:20 AM
shakinrock
Pro

Here is a picture of the scratch (at least I hope I uploaded it correctly). It is a scratch, not fading. The picture is grainy but you can still clearly see the contrast in color. This scratch is a few inches long and about 1/16" - 1/8" wide.

In addition to this, I have several other very faint scratches (that were there when I bought the vehicle) that I would like to cover as well. These look like some animal, like a cat, did a little claw sharpening on the top.

By the way, never back up your vehicle out of the garage while the door is coming down. Also tell others in your family never to push the button to open it when it is already opened.

Name:  VertTopScratch.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  76.0 KB
Old 01-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

You can try a convertible top dye to help hide the scratches. Can't remember who makes it, but a Google search should help you find it.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:54 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I would show this to a professional detailer as he
May know what you should use
Old 01-06-2017, 12:19 PM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by shakinrock
Here is a picture of the scratch (at least I hope I uploaded it correctly). It is a scratch, not fading. The picture is grainy but you can still clearly see the contrast in color. This scratch is a few inches long and about 1/16" - 1/8" wide.

In addition to this, I have several other very faint scratches (that were there when I bought the vehicle) that I would like to cover as well. These look like some animal, like a cat, did a little claw sharpening on the top.

By the way, never back up your vehicle out of the garage while the door is coming down. Also tell others in your family never to push the button to open it when it is already opened.

Attachment 48051312
That really doesn't look like normal rubbing/folding that takes place during top operation. My black top has a few small fabric "shine" areas due to normal ops, but these come out (mostly) when the top gets a wash and sun dry.

Might want to check the boot area; something foreign to normal top operation scraped the top IMO.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:34 AM
shakinrock
Pro

This is definitely not normal wear on my top. Not sure if you saw the entirety of my post but the larger scratch is due to the garage door coming down on top of my car while I was backing out of the driveway.

The small very faint scratches that are parallel to one another (no picture) were there when I bought the car and look consistent with a cat or some other animal scratching the top.

I already have a good cleaner and conditioner. What I need is some product that has black colorant in it.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:46 AM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

This is definitely not normal wear on my top. Not sure if you saw the entirety of my post but the larger scratch is due to the garage door coming down on top of my car while I was backing out of the driveway.

The small very faint scratches that are parallel to one another (no picture) were there when I bought the car and look consistent with a cat or some other animal scratching the top.

I already have a good cleaner and conditioner. What I need is some product that has black colorant in it.
found this using a Google search.............
http://www.topoftheline.com/converti...dye-renew.html

looks like it may be what you were hoping to find.........
Old 01-07-2017, 09:37 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...What I need is some product that has black colorant in it.
I have used (Meguiars/Mothers?) back to black on white-ish rub spots on mine. I also would not hesitate to use liquid shoe polish sparingly.

(Let the flamers begin...)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:18 AM
shakinrock
Pro

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I have used (Meguiars/Mothers?) back to black on white-ish rub spots on mine. I also would not hesitate to use liquid shoe polish sparingly.

(Let the flamers begin...)
The back to black products do not have any colorant. They clean, remove oxidation, etc. I did consider liquid shoe polish but I'm concerned that this is too glossy and too black. I might give it a try in an inconspicuous area.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:33 AM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

shakinrock,

Sorry, I did misunderstand your post.

I think that coloring areas of the black fabric so that they would match is going to be pretty difficult. Black is hard to match, and there is a texture issue as well. However.... If you find something that works well (looks good in bright light), I would be grateful if you pass it along.

Thanks,
CR

Get notified of new replies

To Black Convertible Top Scratches

Quick Reply: Black Convertible Top Scratches