C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security system, 2005 c6, Help Please..

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:44 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
To just replace the radio requires jury-rigging and is not a task for the novice.
This is completely untrue. The install of my Kenwood Nav head unit was a snap, and completely plug-n-play. It took me longer to remove the center console than it did to install the radio.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:12 AM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
This is completely untrue. The install of my Kenwood Nav head unit was a snap, and completely plug-n-play. It took me longer to remove the center console than it did to install the radio.
So it would seem then, that a radio maker would have to design a radio differently for each and every make and model as physical fit wouldn't be the only criteria.....kinda surprises me. Good for Kenwood.
If my nav ever goes out I know where to look.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by lovinmyls1
So it would seem then, that a radio maker would have to design a radio differently for each and every make and model as physical fit wouldn't be the only criteria.....kinda surprises me. Good for Kenwood.
If my nav ever goes out I know where to look.
The automotive industry follows the standard radio sizes of Din and Double Din for the most part, and for those that don't, adapter faceplates are available. The adapter plate that came with my radio is a perfect match of the material used in the rest of the center console, so it looks like it came that way from the factory. The frame that the stock radio sits in fits the new head unit perfectly. For the plug and play, Dennis at Double D Mods offers an option for a pre-wired setup, which is completely plug and play except for one wire that has to be connected to a source under the center console. This wire provides the signal that tells the radio if it should be in night or day mode.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:44 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

An adapter plate is a jury rig to make something fit were it was not designed to fit. Same goes for the wiring harness adapters. Yes, manufacturers sometimes make adapters that make it seem easy to install but someone had to design those adapters and you have to pay extra to have them manufactured.

I didn't say radios can't be found that have all the functions of the factory unit. I said there had to be some jury rigging such as "one wire that has to be connected to a source under the center console" to make them work. But I did say there are NO nav units made today that will replace all the functions of the factory nav. Your Kenwood does NOT display directions on the HUD as the factory unit does. The closest you can come is a second display that mounts to the mirror for $2,500.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:34 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
An adapter plate is a jury rig to make something fit were it was not designed to fit. Same goes for the wiring harness adapters. Yes, manufacturers sometimes make adapters that make it seem easy to install but someone had to design those adapters and you have to pay extra to have them manufactured.

I didn't say radios can't be found that have all the functions of the factory unit. I said there had to be some jury rigging such as "one wire that has to be connected to a source under the center console" to make them work. But I did say there are NO nav units made today that will replace all the functions of the factory nav. Your Kenwood does NOT display directions on the HUD as the factory unit does. The closest you can come is a second display that mounts to the mirror for $2,500.
You and I have completely different definitions for the term "jury rigged." A trim plate that matches the factory trim exactly, and fits the new head unit perfectly, is not "jury rigged," it is a well-planned, material-consistent replacement.

Stripping the end of a wire and using electrical tape to hold it in place is "jury rigged." Using a wire tap and shrink wrapping to tie one wire into another is not.

Quick Reply: Security system, 2005 c6, Help Please..