C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security system, 2005 c6, Help Please..

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Jason W Dreher
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Security system, 2005 c6, Help Please..

Hello, Im sitting at the shop and my car is dead. Battery is new and the little red lights are flashing but nothing else.. Can anyone please share any possible security system trouble shooting that may be interferring?.. Thanks..
Old 01-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Jason W Dreher
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jason W Dreher
Hello, Im sitting at the shop and my car is dead. Battery is new and the little red lights are flashing but nothing else.. Can anyone please share any possible security system trouble shooting that may be interferring?.. Thanks..
Saying no key fob detected and I have both fobs?..
Old 01-07-2017, 01:53 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Have you tried sticking one of your fobs in slot in the glovebox? That and unplugging things from the cigarette lighters can sometimes help.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:12 PM
Jason W Dreher
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
Have you tried sticking one of your fobs in slot in the glovebox? That and unplugging things from the cigarette lighters can sometimes help.
I did.. I just changed the battery in the fob as well.. Just sitting here trying to figure this out.. I was told the car should still start with the fob in the glove box even if the fob is bad?.. It keeps saying no fob detected..
Old 01-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

What work did the shop do? Could they have disturbed something? Did you charge the new car battery before installing it? I have seen some pretty flat new car batteries. Have you tried unhooking the battery for 10 minutes or so and then trying again? Also, I have read that there is a correct way to insert the fob in the glovebox slot. Buttons to the right with the removable key facing you. Supposedly this works even with the fob battery removed. There are a lot of threads here about no fobs detected with info on how to reprogram your fobs using the trunk key, but I haven't had to do any of that. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2017, 03:01 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Is the car in park (if auto)? Do you see the brake lights coming on when you hold the brake pedal down during starting? As far as the glovebox slot goes, did you try the fob both ways (so the logo is facing the passenger seat or vice versa)? Placing the fob in the glovebox slot should work even if the battery is dead.
Please keep us posted on what you find and good luck!
Old 01-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Jason W Dreher
Instructor

Originally Posted by unixcorn
Is the car in park (if auto)? Do you see the brake lights coming on when you hold the brake pedal down during starting? As far as the glovebox slot goes, did you try the fob both ways (so the logo is facing the passenger seat or vice versa)? Placing the fob in the glovebox slot should work even if the battery is dead.
Please keep us posted on what you find and good luck!
Still here.. I tried both sides of the fob.. Battery is fully charged. No brake lights come on.. I don't know what else to do?
Old 01-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Jason W Dreher
Instructor

Car is auto as well.. This is brutal.. ��
Old 01-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Jason W Dreher
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
What work did the shop do? Could they have disturbed something? Did you charge the new car battery before installing it? I have seen some pretty flat new car batteries. Have you tried unhooking the battery for 10 minutes or so and then trying again? Also, I have read that there is a correct way to insert the fob in the glovebox slot. Buttons to the right with the removable key facing you. Supposedly this works even with the fob battery removed. There are a lot of threads here about no fobs detected with info on how to reprogram your fobs using the trunk key, but I haven't had to do any of that. Good luck!
Battery is 2 weeks old and a charger on it now. I brought it here for an oil change.. We unhooked the battery twice.. Nothing is lighting up on the dash including the push button.. I'm totally lost for words?
Old 01-07-2017, 04:00 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Off the cuff I would recommend looking at the under hood fuse box, as there are a lot of main fuses there, battery main there a couple, ECM, Trans Module, Easy Key Module, check everything. Usually all the fuses could be check with just a OHM meter at the top of each fuse with the sharp probes. No need to pull each fuse. The fuses have small holes so that you can get right to the metal portion at the top for checking continuity.
Also, check the positive cable to the stater solenoid switch, the plastic bakelite insulation on the terminals are know to break and cause electrical connectivity issues. Check the ground right behind the stater bolted to the block.

Last edited by extrapilot; 01-07-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Jason W Dreher
Instructor

Originally Posted by extrapilot
Off the cuff I would recommend looking at the under hood fuse box, as there are a lot of main fuses there, battery main there a couple, ECM, Trans Module, Easy Key Module, check everything. Usually all the fuses could be check with just a OHM meter at the top of each fuse with the sharp probes. No need to pull each fuse. The fuses have small holes so that you can get right to the metal portion at the top for checking continuity.
Also, check the positive cable to the stater solenoid switch, the plastic bakelite insulation on the terminals are know to break and cause electrical connectivity issues. Check the ground right behind the stater bolted to the block.
Interesting that you said this. As I was talking to the mechanic, the accessory light lit up. I was able to start the car and drive it home but not all parts were working and the service vehicle soon light flashed, then stopped. The window was struggling to roll up but I made it home. When I parked it in the garage, again, it would start but the "no fob" lights were not popping up although the fobs still don't work. I had to remove the roof to get out of the car but when I pushed in the ignition switch, there were clicking sounds coming from the fuse box. Where can I pick up this tool to test the fuses? I appreciate the info..

Last edited by Jason W Dreher; 01-07-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:12 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

The tool can be pick up at any retailer auto parts store, doesn't need to be a very expensive one, but should be able to read voltage, ac or dc, have OHM's capability to check for resistance and continuity.
There is a pull handle right next to the seat, left side near the seat rail as used for emergency's to get out of the car. No need to take the roof off.

Last edited by extrapilot; 01-07-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Jason W Dreher
Instructor

The tool can be pick up at any retailer auto parts store, doesn't need to be a very expensive one, but should be able to read voltage, ac or dc, have OHM's capability to check for resistance and continuity.
There is a pull handle right next to the seat, left side near the seat rail as used for emergency's to get out of the car. No need to take the roof off.
Thanks.. I'm on my way to auto zone now and thanks for the heads up on the emergency seat lol.. 😁
Old 01-07-2017, 05:19 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Get one ( multimeter )that will sound off a beep when in the OHM's mode, so that it makes it easier to check the fuses for continuity.

Last edited by extrapilot; 01-07-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:28 PM
Jason W Dreher
Instructor

Get one ( multimeter )that will sound off a beep when in the OHM's mode, so that it makes it easier to check the fuses for continuity.
Just picked this one up.. Does each fuse tell you the volt requirements?.. Sorry, I'm not good with electricity as you can see lol. Also, can a bad fuse cause these symptoms as well?. Thanks..
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2017, 05:28 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Interesting that you said this. As I was talking to the mechanic, the accessory light lit up. I was able to start the car and drive it home but not all parts were working and the service vehicle soon light flashed, then stopped. The window was struggling to roll up but I made it home. When I parked it in the garage, again, it would start but the "no fob" lights were not popping up although the fobs still don't work. I had to remove the roof to get out of the car but when I pushed in the ignition switch, there were clicking sounds coming from the fuse box. Where can I pick up this tool to test the fuses? I appreciate the info..
This sounds like a weak battery to me. I would have the battery load tested. Even a new or semi new battery can go bad fast.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Jason W Dreher
Instructor

Originally Posted by EVRose
This sounds like a weak battery to me. I would have the battery load tested. Even a new or semi new battery can go bad fast.
Thanks.. They actually tested the battery at the shop and it was good to go.

Get notified of new replies

To Security system, 2005 c6, Help Please..

Old 01-07-2017, 05:36 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Just picked this one up.. Does each fuse tell you the volt requirements?.. Sorry, I'm not good with electricity as you can see lol. Also, can a bad fuse cause these symptoms as well?. Thanks..
This will due to get you started with checking fuses.

Like EVrose said these batteries need to be up on the charge and healthy, as this maybe as simple as this.
You say the battery is new so just verify with a load test, but I think you have issues with connections some where, most likely with a major connection like the cabling for the battery as mentioned before by me.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:42 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Still here.. I tried both sides of the fob.. Battery is fully charged. No brake lights come on.. I don't know what else to do?
No brake lights...as dash or rear of car? If you have no brake lights there is a good place to start your trouble shooting.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:13 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

You will be using the "Continuity" setting. Fuses are "shorts" when they are good and "open" when they blow. With the continuity setting, when touching the probe and wire, it should beep or light up. To test a fuse, touch the probe to one leg and the wire/alligator with a paperclip or something to the other leg. If it beeps/lights the fuse is good.

Based on what you have been saying, I would check the battery terminals closely. The terminals require a special nut that is super easy to loosen and then lose. If the guys at the shop had the battery disconnected and there is a chance they lost the nut and tried to replace it with another that isn't rounded to fit, it won't work and the terminal will exhibit the sort of symptoms you are sharing. Check both terminals closely for tightness by attempting to rotate them. If they turn, they aren't tight enough. But also, don't over tighten as they will deform and also be no good.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Security system, 2005 c6, Help Please..