C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 vs C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 10:24 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I only started really looking at Vettes when the C7 came out, it was the first one since the C3 that I really liked.

But for cost reasons I bought a C6 instead as an in between. As time has went on I have really came to appreciate my C6.

Last week I was at the local Chevy dealership and I was looking at the new Camaro (always disliked before) LT1. That car was gorgeous and sized right in every way. Very similar to an E46 M3 which many consider the ultimate all-arounder. Parked next to it was a C7 and from the rear that C7 looked clumsy and large in comparison to that Camaro. Call me surprised!

I am not one to claim preference for my old stuff for $ reasons, my other gear (mountain bikes, dirt bikes, pick ups, other sports cars, etc..) I've always desired the new one over my current one, whether I could afford it or not. My Corvette is not in this category. I sincerely prefer my nicely modified C6 by a wide margin over the C7. If I needed a new car, I'd buy the Camaro most likely as that's a great package and value.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:02 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by 1k3y
Spot on.

Covered all the bases i think. I dont think ANY c6 owner would prefer a C6 interior over the c7's... (space, notwithstanding). The torque curve from the DI is probably pretty sweet too! from track times, its obvious the c7's torque curve/suspension setup is vastly improved... a stingray matching a Z06 is nuts!

As always, give and take.

objective pros and cons:
C6: Cheaper car, tried/true engine w. massive aftermarket support
C7: better suspension, more engine power, newer, better interior.

subjective:
C6: better looking
C7: better looking

To throw one more thing out there: DI engines were having some issues on mazda cars since the intake valves weren't getting the blast of fuel from the injectors and the PCV setup which inevitably lets oil into the intake were leaving deposits... Not sure how they ended up fixing the issue, but i assume that will be sorted out relatively quickly (or, regular seafoam/similar applications through the intake would probably fix it).
What's not so subjective is this: the C7 is a FAR more sophisticated and modern world class sports car, and its performance brings you most of the way to supercar (i.e. Ferrari) territory. Close enough for most of us, and far closer than you'd expect for a car you can buy retail (street price, not MSRP) for $50K-$70K. GM did an amazing job.

Again, that takes nothing away from the C6. If you prefer that styling, get one, maybe replace that lame factory Nav system with something nicer, but that's the best sports car out there for under $50K by far. The only alternative in new cars is a Nissan 370Z Nismo, and I'd take a used C6 over that car any day.
The following users liked this post:
bgspot (01-19-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 03:54 PM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
My thoughts as well and the reason I just sold our 2013 GS and moving to a 2017. I liked the wide body look of our GS but also like the sharper edges of the C7. From my limited seat time in the dealers show room the C7 seats are much improved over the C6.

Boredom had a lot to do with it as well. After almost 4 years was tired at looking at the same colored car.
I have sat in the C7 seats, and I suppose if you track one, the bolsters help keep you centered in the seat, but, if you use your Vette for a road trip car, like I do, the C6 seats are more comfortable, and have much more room. I just don't think I could handle a C7 on an extended road trip.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,201 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
I owned my 2007 C6 (stick coupe, LT3, no performance pkge) for nearly two years and then traded it in on a 2017 Z51 LT2 C7 stick coupe nearly four weeks ago. In another thread I was asked to list the differences in order of significance, which I've pasted below. I'd be curious to hear any observations from the many more knowledgeable Corvette people here, agree or disagree. This are seat of the pants impressions from a car enthusiast, I'm by no means a journalist or expert. Photo of my new C7 and my old C6 are at the bottom.

I do understand those here who prefer the C6, I was in that boat when I purchased my used C6 and for the first year I owned it. Gradually the C7 started growing on me. By the time I bought the new car I really liked it, now after owning it for a month I actually prefer the C7 styling. All that's subjective. But the C7 is a far superior car in just about every way. Still, for prices that seem to mostly be in the $20K-$35K range, the C6 is arguably the best sports car value on the planet.

While the C7 has some major similarities to the C6 (similar motor, layout, bodystyle, etc.) the car is a quantum leap in engineering, quality, handling, features, driver interface, etc. My impression of the biggest differences is order of significance:

1.) Suspension - far more supple and responsive, helps the car keep the four corners down more effectively over pavement that discombobulated the C6. That alone makes the car feel like something that's 2-3x pricier than the C6 ever felt. Going down a steep (12%+) grade on our road there are a series of shallow pavement irregularities, the C6 would bottom out on those if you took them faster than 15 mph, the new car handles them without any of that, no problem, even @ 30+ mph.

2.) Steering feel - far more communicative, sharper.

3.) Interior- massively better, WAY better materials, fit, finish, no comparison, the nav system from 1999 replaced with an infotainment system that's so well executed and integrated that in keeps blowing your mind with its coolness. Not flawless (the touchscreen response should be better), but WAY better than the old car and it's up to what you'd expect in a car that can sticker for $100K or more at times.

4.) Drivetrain -everything you loved about the C6 motor but more power and more importantly more torque lower in the rpm range, GM actually gave the sports car motor with the fattest sweet spot I've ever driven an even bigger one. It's a hero motor, a motor for dummies, you don't have to tactically shift the car to stay in the power zone, it's just always there. The man trans has a better feel, although it's still possible to shift into the wrong gear, but after a few weeks in the car I'm not doing that so much, I would guess I'll get to the point where I rarely do it at all. The eDiff technology is amazing.

5.) Overall quality. The car just oozes quality and smart design. Period. I've been following cars for 40 years, I used to be in the car business (sold cars retail and wholesale from 1983-1991) so I've been around cars, been to plenty of manufacturer training and track sessions, I've subscribed to 2-3 monthly car mags for all that time, i.e., I'm a bit of a car enthusiast. Not an expert, but I've had my ear to the car biz tracks for a long time. I don't think I can ever recall a car re-design quite this complete, dramatic and successful. They did an amazing job. The new car just feels so much better. And the C7 blows away the C6 on the track, so all these improvements have delivered a car with amazing handling, the C6 was (and remains) a great sports car.

6.) Styling - this is an impossible quality to quantify, I didn't care for the styling for like two years, preferred the C6, but eventually I came around and now I prefer the C7's dramatic and aggressive design. The overall reaction of the general public seems to prefer the C7, everybody loves it. But I can't disagree with some critics who say that in 5+ years, this car could look dated. WhatEVER. That's a concern, but style is a moving target. So far, so good.

7.) What does the C7 do better than the C6? Everything. It took me weeks to fully grasp all this. I recall about a year ago I asked a C7 owner if it was superior to the C6 and he says 'no comparison', and at the time I didn't believe him my only experience behind a C7 steering wheel was a 15 minute test drive, and at first blush, the two cars actually feel rather similar. But the superiority of the new design is revealed to you in layers as you get to drive it in different situations.

Those are my observations after four weeks behind the driver's seat of a Z51 C7 stick.

New car:

Old car:

Exactly.

Obviously if you have had a car for years, then go hop into a new car, you can't "love" it right away. That's like meeting a girl and going on a first date and asking her to marry you. You have to keep dating her and seeing how things go.

I loved my C6 and even during the test drive of the c7z i was like whoa this is weird. It felt weird. Awesome yes but weird. I wasn't used to it. It felt like literally i was driving a supercar.

As the days went by and i was putting the miles on to get to that 500 mile break in so i could do the oil change i was slowly falling in love with it. I liked the car, which is why i bought it and knew right away it was wayyyyyyyy better than a C6 in every category but i had to give the C6 a fighting chance.

But the more i drove my Z, i knew it was far superior in every aspect of the whole meaning to a corvette. It is better in every way EXCEPT for cost. That is it.

If you're on a budget, the C6 is by far the best bang for buck sports car.

If you can spend a bit more, the C7 is definitely a clear winner.

I know people don't wanna hear it but again like i said earlier in this thread. I was in the same shoes as you. I was making up all the excuses in the world to love my C6 more than the C7.

But the C7 kept growing on me each day and i finally pulled the trigger to move on up.

It's seriously a totally different car.
Vet Interested (01-20-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 06:02 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
. I was in the same shoes as you. I was making up all the excuses in the world to love my C6 more than the C7.

But the C7 kept growing on me each day and i finally pulled the trigger to move on up.

It's seriously a totally different car.
I wasn't making excuses really. I really did prefer the C6 styling in early 2015 when I decided to buy a used C6 - and I wanted to dip my toe in the water - not take the full Corvette fiscal plunge. When I test drove that used C6 I was so amazed @ how much better the car was than every sporty car I had ever driven, it was a no brainer, and $29K, not $65K. Then over the last two years I just loved the car more and more. And kept reading about how great the C7 is - and wanting the latest and greatest Corvette.

And the C7 exterior styling really grew on me. I never really disliked the C6 interior, but the C7 interior was clearly a big step up. Now after having the car for a month- and with the cold, snow/ice up here I've only managed to put 500 miles on it - I've learned what a huge improvement it is on the C6 - which astonishes me because the C6 is so damn good.

So at first I wanted chrome wheels, red rearview mirrors, etc. like my old car - the car I got was kind of 'well that's what they have, ok for now'. But now that I've owned the car for a while I've fallen in love with the more badass look of the torch red, black accents, black wheels. Happily I found one with the transparent roof - one of my favorite features on my 2007.

Could have gotten a Grand Sport. That struck me as overkill - and another couple of inches of width would have made it an ever tougher fit in my garage. The Z51 adds the performance perks I wanted.

I saw a You Tube video where they are talking about the Bowling Green assembly plant, that they tell themselves that they don't just build cars there, they build dreams. Truer words were never spoken. I love that it's an American car with this amazing lineage and history too.

I mean, come on, what's not to love about Corvettes?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:26 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

I wasn't making excuses really. I really did prefer the C6 styling in early 2015 when I decided to buy a used C6 - and I wanted to dip my toe in the water - not take the full Corvette fiscal plunge. When I test drove that used C6 I was so amazed @ how much better the car was than every sporty car I had ever driven, it was a no brainer, and $29K, not $65K. Then over the last two years I just loved the car more and more. And kept reading about how great the C7 is - and wanting the latest and greatest Corvette.

And the C7 exterior styling really grew on me. I never really disliked the C6 interior, but the C7 interior was clearly a big step up. Now after having the car for a month- and with the cold, snow/ice up here I've only managed to put 500 miles on it - I've learned what a huge improvement it is on the C6 - which astonishes me because the C6 is so damn good.

So at first I wanted chrome wheels, red rearview mirrors, etc. like my old car - the car I got was kind of 'well that's what they have, ok for now'. But now that I've owned the car for a while I've fallen in love with the more badass look of the torch red, black accents, black wheels. Happily I found one with the transparent roof - one of my favorite features on my 2007.

Could have gotten a Grand Sport. That struck me as overkill - and another couple of inches of width would have made it an ever tougher fit in my garage. The Z51 adds the performance perks I wanted.

I saw a You Tube video where they are talking about the Bowling Green assembly plant, that they tell themselves that they don't just build cars there, they build dreams. Truer words were never spoken. I love that it's an American car with this amazing lineage and history too.

What convinced me to get the C6 was when my friend had his stroker LS2 C6. It was an absolute monster. The bass that was emitted through the ground when he would drive up the block, you can really hear it from blocks away.

But at that time i had other toys i had to sell before i got the C6. So i got my C6 just as the c7z was introduced and picked up my C6 grand sport late 2014. I was soo happy.

When i was doing the deal and had the mechanics fix the headlight recall, they gave the car a nice wash with a full tank when i was ready to leave home with the car.

As my salesman walked me to my car so i can drive it home, another salesman was showing a new owner his brand new c7 z06. Then he was taking pics and all happy. Then he left the lot and did a small pull just so everyone can hear the exhaust.

I went from to to

I knew right away it would only be a matter of time i would want a c7. But my deal with the C6 GS was already done lol. I just bought the car, i can't change my mind now lol.

So since that day i was trying to love my C6 and i did. I personalized it to make it my own. Did the long tubes and it was awesome.

But every day the love for owning a C6 was lessen and my interest and drive to get into a C7 already grew.

I loved the C6, i just wanted to upgrade to a C7 already.

But i was making excuses saying the stingray was skinny. I hate the tail lights. And i still do hate my tail lights lol. And yes i still think a stingray is too skinny coming from a widebody C6.

As the months went by, i just couldn't take it anymore and had to upgrade.

Went to the dealer really to buy the '17 grand sport. But at the time they only had automatics and i wanted a manual. So i got a good deal on a '16 z06 m7.

Couldn't be happier.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:26 PM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The power of the emotional connection with shapes is at play here, IMO. I would be the very LAST person to criticize anyone for this, and this is definitely not an effort to do so:

But Peter, when I look at the photos you have provided of your red C6 and very red C7, its the "6" that seems more real. The "7" comes across as a bit of a poser - but only with regard to appearance. The C6 is a bit more functional, less contemporary with regard to pop-styling.

I've driven a couple of C7 M7 cars and find them to be amazing machines. They are a little more "processed" than I prefer (rev matching, nannies), but I would mentally work around that issue in a second if the car was more attractive [to me]. Rationalization, as it were.

So given all of your analysis and comparison, would you or perhaps others here, prefer the newly acquired C7 over the C6 if the body styles were reversed?

Honestly, I would be one of those buyers who would rationalize owning the car that I loved to see first, and learned how to push around my favorite roadways - second.

CO

Last edited by COvert-red; 01-18-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:44 AM
Flash_Gordon
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by COvert-red
So given all of your analysis and comparison, would you or perhaps others here, prefer the newly acquired C7 over the C6 if the body styles were reversed?

CO
For me the answer is yes. If the the body styles were reversed, I would've made my first Vette a C7 regardless of cost. I could overlook the digital gauges, and other interior flaws... the HUD is what I'm looking at most of the time, anyways. It's all about the body for me. When I say interior flaws, they are really just things that bug me. Like the gauges, the claustrophobic feel, and the weird passenger "Oh $h!t bar"

In another 10-15 years I plan on selling my house and moving into a house with a garage that handle more than just 2 cars barely, unlike my current one. At that point my weekend garage queen would be a C3... and those are all about body with not much power, IMO. By that time, perhaps the C8 or C9 will go back to a body style I prefer, so that can be my DD.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:13 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

What good is improved technology and all this wonderful handling if you don't find the car attractive? It's like saying I met this great girl with a great personality but she's not much to look at. Those of you who the car grew on congrats but some can't get past the styling fail of the Pontiac Aztek engineer. It's obviously a hit for GM with sales in the high 30's each year but so was the C6 before the economy crash. At least we have 7 generations to choose from for the car that's right for us.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:20 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by COvert-red

But Peter, when I look at the photos you have provided of your red C6 and very red C7, its the "6" that seems more real. The "7" comes across as a bit of a poser - but only with regard to appearance. The C6 is a bit more functional, less contemporary with regard to pop-styling.

That's an odd question, but who can say? I might have agreed with your styling perceptions two years ago, but not today.

It's so subjective. The overall car performance isn't - the C7 is far superior in every way. You would hope so when they re-design the car after a decade. Like I said earlier, that's no knock on the C6. Seriously other than the C7, what other sports car can you name in the under $50K price bracket that even comes close to a C6 in overall GT sports car performance - maybe the new Camaro, but to me that's more of a muscle car, even though it exhibits amazing track capabilities.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:24 AM
racehorse
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pontiac Aztec.... I like that
Old 01-20-2017, 10:54 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by racehorse

patentcad (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 12:02 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by racehorse
Now you're talkin.

But you have to get it with the Breaking Bad package.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:50 PM
jwrichter
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A Marsh
I agree.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:54 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

For sure the C7 has some serious REAL tech and fit advantages overall. 10 years of advancement tends to do that!

I have of course done my best to overcome then in my C6 with a full custom interior with custom seats, alcantara, everywhere, aftermarket radio and back up camera, lightweight forged wheels, World Challenge hood, big brakes, suspension mods, etc...and in the neighborhood of 500 rwhp. I know that I'm in the minority, but I don't like the widebody look on the Vettes, it appears very overdone and dare I say, 'American' to me. Just not my thing. I'm an understated kind of guy.

Stock for stock, I can NOT stand the C6 interior. Yuck. So I searched very carefully for a C6 modified in a manner that suited me and I got 90% of those mods with my car.

As far as real track performance, my little base C6 is dialed. I track and have no problems with any car in my limited experience. If someone put the same money in to a C7, I'd probably be in trouble though! But my 3300#, wide tires (275F & 345R), 500 hp, 4.10 gear having, aggressive alignment car does alright!

I do have a real soft spot of the brand now. I'm a fanboy. My life is heading in a manner where realistically I could be a loaded C8 buyer. But with the march of technological advancement this old school 45 year old isn't sure he is in to all that new fangled stuff. I like pitching my cars sideways and relying on the driver to control the car, not some computer. We'll see.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:48 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Pics, please! ^^^^

Old 01-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Now you're talkin.

But you have to get it with the Breaking Bad package.
Does that package come with pizza on the roof?

Get notified of new replies

To C6 vs C7

Old 01-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrandSportRob
What good is improved technology and all this wonderful handling if you don't find the car attractive? It's like saying I met this great girl with a great personality but she's not much to look at. Those of you who the car grew on congrats but some can't get past the styling fail of the Pontiac Aztek engineer. It's obviously a hit for GM with sales in the high 30's each year but so was the C6 before the economy crash. At least we have 7 generations to choose from for the car that's right for us.
But looks are subjective.

Obviously not every person HAS to like a new car, just because it's new.

But the sales figures don't lie. And neither does the audience.

I have yet to find someone who didn't like my car. When i had my C6, and i pulled up to a meet for example. Only other corvette enthusiasts and GM guys would give me a nod.

In my C7, every single car person gives me a thumbs up. Even non car people give me a thumbs up. It goes to show how far GM has come. Where a sports car can be loved by ALL. Rather than just a few small groups.

Like someone said, the C7 is more advanced than the C6 in every category besides cost. And again this is not a knock to the C6. I came from one, i still love it. But sometimes you have to accept facts.

That's like someone who hates kobe bryant. You don't have to like the guy, but you have to accept the fact he was one of the all time greats.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:06 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I have yet to find someone who didn't like my car. When i had my C6, and i pulled up to a meet for example. Only other corvette enthusiasts and GM guys would give me a nod.

In my C7, every single car person gives me a thumbs up. Even non car people give me a thumbs up. It goes to show how far GM has come. Where a sports car can be loved by ALL. Rather than just a few small groups.

Like someone said, the C7 is more advanced than the C6 in every category besides cost. And again this is not a knock to the C6. I came from one, i still love it. But sometimes you have to accept facts.

That's like someone who hates kobe bryant. You don't have to like the guy, but you have to accept the fact he was one of the all time greats.

Boy that sure has not been my experience. It doesn't matter where I take my C6, it gets positive comments/attention. When the tops down, I get people pulling up next to me at lights and asking about the car (even teens in ricers)

I line up against C7s all the time in car shows and I've placed in every one but haven't seen a C7 place since the very first one in 14.

That's not to say I don't like the C7. I like the styling and will probably buy one at some point. What's strange is the people that do talk to me about my vette whom often make comments about how they don't like the new ones. I always shrug and tell them I like the C7 but it's a comment I hear often and more than I would have expected.

Just like anything, taste is subjective so there is no point in debating it.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:13 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

I get you like the C7 much more than your old C6, and agree the C7 is a major upgrade, but some of these statements are a bit silly.

I get comments and thumbs up on my 2013 blade silver GS coupe everywhere I take it . . . drove it to a meeting Wed night and four guys asked me about it in the parking lot. Two weeks ago, while getting gas, a women asked if she could sit in it while I took her picture for her brother who loved Corvettes. The idea that only car people like C6s but everyone likes C7s is ridiculous.

The truth is GM blew off all the decades of tradition and history with the C7 styling. It barely looks like any other Corvette. It's more like a Hot Wheels or a Ferrari wanna-be. If Porsche did this to the 911 there would be a revolt everywhere.

Obviously, the C7 is a huge sales success and plenty popular. But so are women with lots of tatoos. I don't find either attractive. No C7 for me. Here's hoping the C8 is better.

Quick Reply: C6 vs C7