C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a C6....Have questions

Old 01-18-2017, 11:01 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
This is true but there was also an optional CD changer that fit into one of the rear compartments.
Good point, I forgot about that.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:04 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Good point, I forgot about that.
And it's "only" $570!

http://www.performancecorvettes.com/...er-OEM-GM.html
Old 01-18-2017, 11:23 AM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

As another has said, If you like white with black wheels and an A6, this isn't a bad deal. The prior asking price was probably the reason it stayed on the lot so long. I wouldn't be shocked if the price went back up in the spring. You might even be able to negotiate some off the current price now.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:29 AM
ocboy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess your 3 months on here overrides my 6 YEARS. Okie Dokie then.
Originally Posted by RobLo
Yeah, wow, every day since Nov., 2016, a real old-timer...best to ignore the (I'm being diplomatic here) "uninformed", they don't know WTF they're talking about! You know, the "I had a brother in law that had a neighbor who has a sister who knew a guy that got a flat once on his '05, TERRIBLE car!" crowd! Give me a break!
Your years of being on this forum and a vette owner means crap when it comes to common sense and normal wear and tear. As I mentioned in my previous post, perhaps there have been more recent 2005 trouble threads is because it's the oldest of the C6. If you're as old as you say, then you should know this personally. Maybe next year there will be more issues with 2006 and the following year 2007 and the following year 2008, etc., etc. The only reason anyone would by the oldest model C6 (used) is because of 1) money or 2) it's a "collector" model.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:46 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by ocboy
Your years of being on this forum and a vette owner means crap when it comes to common sense and normal wear and tear. As I mentioned in my previous post, perhaps there have been more recent 2005 trouble threads is because it's the oldest of the C6. If you're as old as you say, then you should know this personally. Maybe next year there will be more issues with 2006 and the following year 2007 and the following year 2008, etc., etc. The only reason anyone would by the oldest model C6 (used) is because of 1) money or 2) it's a "collector" model.
Hey boy, I didn't say I was old.
It's "buy", not "by".
Old 01-18-2017, 11:56 AM
ocboy
Instructor

Hey boy, I didn't say I was old.
It's "buy", not "by".
ooooohhhh. You got me on a typo. Apply some of this generously and move on.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:06 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Who said anything about "being old", just saying we've been on this Forum a little longer then 3 months and have maybe seen a little more then you in our time here. And many of the problems that plagued the '05 still plague the newer models, Harmonic Balancer, less than perfect GPS, so called crappy interior, etc. There was just another post about someone bringing in their '13 for the fuse box (headlight) recall, mine is going in on Friday for the same thing, another issue that spans the entire generation. The only issues I can remember that are exclusive to the '05's is the weaker differential (only an issue if you race or are extremely hard on your car) and the dead battery syndrome, manual trans you have to put it in reverse when you park...maybe with all your time on the forum you can enlighten me to any others that might have slipped my "old" mind.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:19 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Who said anything about "being old", just saying we've been on this Forum a little longer then 3 months and have maybe seen a little more then you in our time here. And many of the problems that plagued the '05 still plague the newer models, Harmonic Balancer, less than perfect GPS, so called crappy interior, etc. There was just another post about someone bringing in their '13 for the fuse box (headlight) recall, mine is going in on Friday for the same thing, another issue that spans the entire generation. The only issues I can remember that are exclusive to the '05's is the weaker differential (only an issue if you race or are extremely hard on your car) and the dead battery syndrome, manual trans you have to put it in reverse when you park...maybe with all your time on the forum you can enlighten me to any others that might have slipped my "old" mind.
I'll throw in one that he's probably never even heard of. Column lock malfunction on M6 was an 05 only issue.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:29 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Yep...you've been on here everyday for 4 months...wow!!! I've been here almost every day for 11 years...or 132 months...and I have common sense. My suggestion is that you read EVERY thread, make a list of problems, and then see which year has the most issues. I'll bet it won't be 2005. I had one....great car. Or go buy a Mustang. Your choice. I'm done.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:08 PM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Or....3) They found a very special car...

The OP was looking for suggestions/advice. I would suggest that objectivity might have a place here; be careful about citing street-lore generalizations as fact.

The beautiful blue convertible pictured in this thread looks like it might be a fine find (2006):

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ner-miles.html

Last edited by COvert-red; 01-18-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:40 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

here are a couple of guys with 2005 with problems in a very recent thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-thoughts.html
here's another 2005: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lp-please.html
here's another:https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-t-start.html
LOL ^^^^^^^^
All of those problems are not 2005 MY specific. The parts that are going bad are the exact same parts in every other C6. Those will go bad eventually as well. Normal part failures due to age/driving environment/mileage are not cause for a MY being inferior. For all we know, those drivers hit a pot hole at 80mph or something else perhaps simply age related and caused some kind of electrical module to go bad.

The 05 is the oldest, therefore the majority of issues are going to crop up from them first. The "weak" diff is a moot point as was already stated. Other than that, the only issue I know about exclusive to the 05 is the column lock on M6 cars and even that is moot since the OP is looking at an auto. Overall the 05 is just as reliable as any of the others, if not more so since the issues by now have pretty much been addressed by previous owners. The only downside, depending on person, is that automatic 05's are 4spd rather than 6spd. But, at least the 05 has some character in its OEM steering wheel

To the OP: Just get whatever you can reasonably afford and do your due diligence. Research the seller, carfax reports, etc.
There isn't a specific year to avoid like some others are saying, just some things you want to make sure have been addressed. The biggest one IMO is the wobbly harmonic balancer. Try to see them in person or get a video sent to you showing that there is very minimal-to-no wobbling/shaking. In the case of Z06's make sure the heads have been addressed or factor it into the negotiation if it hasn't. Also make sure there are no open recalls on whatever car you are looking at. If there are, have the seller take care of them prior to your purchase.
That '13 GS is at a fair price range now, but it could still come down a little bit with some negotiating. I wouldn't steer clear of it simply because they had to replace the battery. The car has been sitting for quite a while and it's understandable that sometimes a dealer happens to forget to place every single car on chargers. Good luck in your search!

Last edited by NVA2010; 01-18-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:10 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by NVA2010
The only downside, depending on person, is that automatic 05's are 4spd rather than 6spd. But, at least the 05 has some character in its OEM steering wheel
I like the steering wheel on the '05, my '14 GMC has the same "meaty" feel...and if you do a search, the '05 4 speed transmission is preferred to the 6 speed for racing applications, from what's been written it seems to be a stronger unit.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:21 PM
ocboy
Instructor

Typical forum bullying. Let's all gang up on the new guy and show him who's boss. You guys who are all butt hurt need to go back and re-read my post (#18). Never once did I say that 2005 are the crappiest year or the worse year C6. I indicated that I've seen more recent threads regarding mechanical issues on the 2005 year model than any other year. I deliberately stated my limited time on here, so that the OP can take it with a grain of salt and that I am not advising him based on my experience in terms of time, however, you guys feel that I'm "bragging" about my tenure. It appears that your "hurt" feelings have clouded your reading and comprehension skills to a point where you felt like I am personally attacking you and your own 2005. In addition, I provided proof of the multiple and recent threads on issues from 2005 owners, while your argument is "I've been on here for years", which simply does not hold water. I've also stated that perhaps it's due to age as things break down as it gets older, just like us. So, if you want to properly debate my statement, then provide proof of other year models with issues in a short time frame as I did. Otherwise, move on about your business and stop being so overly sensitive .

Last edited by johnodrake; 01-18-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: remove objectionable language
Old 01-18-2017, 02:32 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

The OP has decided, as per post #14 to walk away from the car in question, a 2013 GS due to unanswered questions from the general manager of the dealership.
The GM VIS of that vehicle only shows the electrical issue as the low beam ground wire recall, that all C6 vehicles are under.
Nothing else out of the ordinary showed up in the VIS Report.
Vehicle Information
VIN: 1G1YW2DW4D5104634 Model: 1YG07-2013 CORVETTE GRAND SPORT COUPE

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-18-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:34 PM
KIMCHI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes those olders models are bad though. My late 98, 99MY C5 was an absolute nightmare and once the computers started dying I was left with a car that had no support. The computers were 2-3k a piece and no matter what I did things electronically started going one-by-one. I think its a risk you take in buying a 1-2 year MY release. From what I've seen Chevy started betting the C6 right in 2008 and the TR6060 to me is a huge reason to get a new C6 especially Z06's. At the end of the day you have to do the cost analysis. If you get a smashing deal on an older car just have a kitty in place for any issues, if not you got a steal! In my case I got a Z06 for under 30k and it ended up having transmissions problems, electrical problems, then the back end start rumbling, and before you knew it this good deal was a potential money pit. I was luckily enough to trade it in and only lose $1000 bucks on the whole deal for a newer Z06 but thats not always the case, as in the money I wasted on my 99. Just make a good decision and have a good remediation plan.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:35 PM
KIMCHI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
The OP has decided, as per post #14 to walk away from the car in question, a 2013 GS due to unanswered questions from the general manager of the dealership.
The GM VIS of that vehicle only shows the electrical issue as the low beam ground wire recall, that all C6 vehicles are under.
Nothing else out of the ordinary showed up in the VIS Report.
Vehicle Information
VIN: 1G1YW2DW4D5104634 Model: 1YG07-2013 CORVETTE GRAND SPORT COUPE

How can you get a GVIS? I got mine from someone on the forums here but they never answered me back. Id love to have my current and last Z06 ran.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:37 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the steering wheel on the '05, my '14 GMC has the same "meaty" feel...and if you do a search, the '05 4 speed transmission is preferred to the 6 speed for racing applications, from what's been written it seems to be a stronger unit.
I actually don't mind the 05 wheel either. Just thought it might trigger some 06-13 Cobalt wheel wielders

In terms of racing, I believe the 4spd is preferred due to the ratios being better suited for it. At least drag racing anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to buy a C6....Have questions

Old 01-18-2017, 02:59 PM
BRussell
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I have 229,900 miles on my '05.

Next week, I plan on having 230,000 miles on my 2005 Corvette.

Yep, it's a POS, you should avoid that year!!!!
That's really neat! Thanks for sharing that pic.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:08 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,608 Likes on 2,340 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by KIMCHI
How can you get a GVIS? I got mine from someone on the forums here but they never answered me back. Id love to have my current and last Z06 ran.
Any GM dealer can print the VIS and build sheet. For free. Ask the service or parts dept to print them for you.
Disclaimer: In the half dozen or so cars I have had done they have been correct. Some (one for sure) claim they are not correct.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:14 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,608 Likes on 2,340 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
2005 option packages were 1SX, 1SA, and 1SB.
Thanks...learn something new everyday. It looks like the 1SX (coupe only) is what I call a BAC (bare *** Corvette), or base.

1SX
Corvette Coupe Base Equipment Group
Dual Zone Auto HVAC, Keyless access with pushbutton start, HID Head Lamps with automatic exterior lamp control, Active Handling, Sound System with CD Player and MP3 playback, Fog lamps, Rear Luggage Shade, Parcel Net, Power Hatch Release.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to buy a C6....Have questions