C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the correct paint for inner wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 213 Posts
Default What is the correct paint for inner wheel?

Does anyone know what the correct silver paint is on the inner wheel barrels of a Grand Sport with chrome wheels? I had new tires installed and the guy that balanced the wheels decided to grind off the paint to stick on the balance weights. Unfortunately he ground off more paint than could be covered by the weights. I know the tire shop should be responsible, but I left for Florida the next day and did not take note till I got here and won't be back until May. Also, any suggestions on where to get the paint would be appreciated.

Last edited by Sledge Hammer; 01-18-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:09 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
Does anyone know what the correct silver paint is on the inner wheel barrels of a Grand Sport with chrome wheels? I had new tires installed and the guy that balanced the wheels decided to grind off the paint to stick on the balance weights. Unfortunately he ground off more paint than could be covered by the weights. I know the tire shop should be responsible, but I left for Florida the next day and did not take note till I got here and won't be back until May. Also, any suggestions on where to get the paint would be appreciated.
I have absolutely no idea of the exact color or brand of paint that GM uses for the inside of the chrome rim. I however had the same thing happen, and what I used was some chrome paint in a spray can.
I lightly sanded the inside, made an 18" round template from thin cardboard for the 19" rim, and a 17" round template for the 18" rim. These templates fit inside the rim, then use masking tape to seal the edges to protect any paint from getting to the outside chrome.
After I applied 3-4 coats, I applied a few coats of clear coat.

Good Luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-18-2017 at 12:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sledge Hammer (01-19-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 12:32 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I painted a friend of mines GS wheels (barrels only) flat black. Makes the chrome shine and they look great.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:19 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

When I got my car one of the wheels had the barrels sort of scratched up so I tried this and its very close to what was there, has a flat metal look, I used it to do all four barrels
NSF
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-...-11-oz/3729703

Get notified of new replies

To What is the correct paint for inner wheel?

Quick Reply: What is the correct paint for inner wheel?