C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Tech 2 scanners

Old 02-26-2017, 07:15 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Well Dave, I can verify that they look to be the real CDs that come with the GM Tech 2 units... I have looked over the whole Tech 2 kit at the local dealership , one of my friends I go to cruise-ins with works at the dealership in town and he let me check out their Tech 2 unit... Vetronix was purchased by Bosch a few years back and their name is now on the software.. Which one of the online stores did you buy your Tech 2 unit from, and how long ago??..I have heard it's very expensive to get the GM Diagnostic/Programming (TIS2Web) subscription, do you know how much they charge per year??...WW
Old 02-26-2017, 07:28 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Diagnostic/Programming (TIS2Web) subscription, do you know how much they charge per year??...WW
Service info is here, basically online service manuals:

https://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/s...e-information/

Tis2web: I had to log in to my account to get a screen shot, they don't really make it available from what I could find.

The following users liked this post:
WW7 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 07:37 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jft69z
That has my interest piqued.... send them my way or steer me towards them. (you can email or PM them if you don't want to post)

Joe

EDIT: this guy said the serial numbers were the same as ones he saw elsewhere, plus it has trouble scanning trucks. I did see on one or 2 of the sale sites something about not working on trucks. I figured it meant GM Medium truck though...

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/comp...-price-879880/
It said on the website where I got my Tech 2 that it didn't work on certain GM trucks...WW
Old 02-26-2017, 08:03 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Well Dave, I can verify that they look to be the real CDs that come with the GM Tech 2 units... I have looked over the whole Tech 2 kit at the local dealership , one of my friends I go to cruise-ins with works at the dealership in town and he let me check out their Tech 2 unit... Vetronix was purchased by Bosch a few years back and their name is now on the software.. Which one of the online stores did you buy your Tech 2 unit from, and how long ago??..I have heard it's very expensive to get the GM Diagnostic/Programming (TIS2Web) subscription, do you know how much they charge per year??...WW
I have to check as I bought it from my buddy , who bought one first ( at my suggestion) and then sold it to me when he sold his car , its only 2 months old and has the latest software already installed

I think we used this site and picked a seller that shipped with DHL and had a high seller ratings . DO NOT use CHINA POST .......
http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/sear...2+kit&catalog=

Not sure why everybody is worrying about UPDATING" it as it is my understanding that GM put its last update for this thing way back in 2011 .
Anything you need or want to do with this thing can be done as it sits with no need to update ........everything listed in JT's post about updating is already in mine ..... at least for my 2011 Corvette LS3

As far as updates for my car ... I am a firm believer , just like computer BIOS , if it is not broken , don't try and fix it . My Chevrolet dealer stated that I had all the updates installed already

So far I have use it as a diagnostic tool /TCM reset tool , accessed the ABS and BCM modules and to turn on and off certain toggles etc that only a tech two can access

Look guys , buying one from China is a $250.00 gamble , we picked one that we though we could trust and used the best credit card as far as buyer protection and doubled down by also using PAYPAL then hoped for the best ... in my case it worked out for what I wanted it to do

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 02-26-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:53 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I have to check as I bought it from my buddy , who bought one first ( at my suggestion) and then sold it to me when he sold his car , its only 2 months old and has the latest software already installed

I think we used this site and picked a seller that shipped with DHL and had a high seller ratings . DO NOT use CHINA POST .......
http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/sear...2+kit&catalog=

Not sure why everybody is worrying about UPDATING" it as it is my understanding that GM put its last update for this thing way back in 2011 .
Anything you need or want to do with this thing can be done as it sits with no need to update ........everything listed in JT's post about updating is already in mine ..... at least for my 2011 Corvette LS3

As far as updates for my car ... I am a firm believer , just like computer BIOS , if it is not broken , don't try and fix it . My Chevrolet dealer stated that I had all the updates installed already

So far I have use it as a diagnostic tool /TCM reset tool , accessed the ABS and BCM modules and to turn on and off certain toggles etc that only a tech two can access

Look guys , buying one from China is a $250.00 gamble , we picked one that we though we could trust and used the best credit card as far as buyer protection and doubled down by also using PAYPAL then hoped for the best ... in my case it worked out for what I wanted it to do

Dave
My software is out of date, but I can get into most everything that I have tried to so far on newer cars. I use the "Global OBD II" under the VIN info page. I have not tried to program anything this way, but I have been able to access all the different modules on the CAN buss.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:31 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Pat,
You can update by getting the newest PC card from one of the online sellers.. Like Dave says above, 2011 is the last update that GM did on the Tech 2 for Corvettes, so the newer units being sold all have the latest software already loaded on the GM card...WW

Below is the latest card for GM for the Tech 2..From their site...

32MB Card For GM TECH2 (GM,OPEL,SAAB,ISU... (Item No. SO22-B)
32MB CARD,works for GM TECH2, includes a 32MB PC Card loaded with the latest release for GM Software.We are available with six kinds of software including for SAAB, for OPEL, for GM,for ISUZU,for SUZUKI and for Holden More Details »
Retail price: US$29.99 Buy it Now: US$24.99 17% You save US$5.00

Last edited by WW7; 02-27-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Patsgarage (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 06:16 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Do you guys know if there will be a customs charge on the Tech 2 from China.. If I do have to pay a customs charge, do I pay it to the delivery person from DHL.??. I have never purchased from China before so I have never had to deal with any of this.. Any information would be appreciated....WW

Last edited by WW7; 02-27-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:33 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

No customs charge ....

Dave
WW7 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 07:00 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

I had no custom charge. IIRC, there is a limit of ~800 before they start charging custom fees. At least thats how it was for my tools from Japan (Nepros, the japanese snap on!)
Old 03-22-2017, 04:44 PM
gcodori
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK ladies and gentlemen , here is the moment that you all have been waiting for , PICTURE TIME

The unit itself ....and the software CD's ... pretty good knockoffs lol , I think its like the others stated , it is a TECH II but grey market

and here is the CANDI unit and cables ..... pretty high quality stuff along with one of the 12 volt adapters

And another shot of the data disks .. as you can see the labels were not made with an INK JET printer ... and the a second cigarette lighter 12 volt power cable

and ....every cable and cable end you would need to connect to any GM car

but wait, if you act today there is more .....

Just an FYI...

The REAL Tech2 has a serial number printed inside the little door you open on the top of the scanner to insert the software card. If there is no number printed inside there - it's a clone.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:01 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gcodori
Just an FYI...

The REAL Tech2 has a serial number printed inside the little door you open on the top of the scanner to insert the software card. If there is no number printed inside there - it's a clone.
Never doubted the fact that it was a clone ., heck for $275 dollars what could I expected . Never checked but now that you say it , i checked and there is not a number , i really dont even see a place where a number could be printed ...

But..... after using the tool and comparing it to the one my dealer uses ..... i have no doubt that it is made by the same company that made it for GM .... hence the reason the decals are not on it and you can only buy it from oversea's .

The quality of the case , cables and switches are just as nice . Even the Software CD' s look exactly like the cd's that my dealer has .
Nobody spent this much money reverse engineering this tool
Just ask the guys who have purchased one if i am wrong ...

I am very happy with it

Dave
The following 2 users liked this post by Dcasole:
Ahrmike (03-23-2017), Cooter Tech (03-22-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:16 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Never doubted the fact that it was a clone ., heck for $275 dollars what could I expected . Never checked but now that you say it , i checked and there is not a number , i really dont even see a place where a number could be printed ...

But..... after using the tool and comparing it to the one my dealer uses ..... i have no doubt that it is made by the same company that made it for GM .... hence the reason the decals are not on it and you can only buy it from oversea's .

The quality of the case , cables and switches are just as nice . Even the Software CD' s look exactly like the cd's that my dealer has .
Nobody spent this much money reverse engineering this tool
Just ask the guys who have purchased one if i am wrong ...

I am very happy with it

Dave
Dave,
Here's a new one for you.. I was reading on a few other sites that were discussing the Tech 2 unit, and a few of them said that Bosch sold the overseas rights to a Company in China.. If this is true it would explain a lot, like why there's Bosch written on all the disks , why it's an exact copy of the original Vertronic units , and why they can have GM software included with the purchase...I agree , reverse engineering would cost a fortune, that 's why I tend to believe they may have worked out a deal with Bosch..Lets face it , the Tech 2 isn't the new kid on the block anymore , the C7 Corvette's use a whole new line of scanners and programs.Why wouldn't Bosch sell their older scanner rights to China, it's more money in their pocket..........WW

Last edited by WW7; 03-23-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WW7
Dave,
Here's a new one for you.. I was reading on a few other sites that were discussing the Tech 2 unit, and a few of them said that Bosch sold the overseas rights to a Company in China.. If this is true it would explain a lot, like why there's Bosch written on all the disks , why it's an exact copy of the original Vertronic units , and why they can have GM software included with the purchase.........WW
I agree , this thing is to nice to be a knock off , it has to be the real thing

Dave
Old 04-18-2017, 09:46 AM
natmyst
Heel & Toe

Default Tech ii

That is where mine came from ......

Dave
Will this scanner package program all modules on the 2004 C5?
Old 04-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by natmyst
i have no idea , i was specificly looking for a Tech II that works with the "CAN BUS" that a C6 uses ....Its an add on module called a CANDI interface and a 32 meg card that is inserted in the TECH II

You would have to look up the tech two and check the specs to see if it would work with a C5

Dave
Old 04-18-2017, 12:52 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by natmyst
Several people over in the C5 general forum can answer as I know a few that have bought one.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:56 PM
gcodori
8th Gear

I agree , this thing is to nice to be a knock off , it has to be the real thing

Dave
Nothing wrong with clones

I have a Chinese knockoff VCDS Adapter I have been using with my VW's for years - $20 + free shipping versus $200 is fine in my book as long as it gets the job done.

I'm in the process of deciding whether a Tech2 or a OBDLink MX + ScanXL Pro would be a better purchase. About $250 for the tech2 and I know it does everything versus a $60 solution that may be more limited even with the GM addon installed.

Thoughts?

Get notified of new replies

To GM Tech 2 scanners

Old 04-18-2017, 07:34 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gcodori
Nothing wrong with clones

I have a Chinese knockoff VCDS Adapter I have been using with my VW's for years - $20 + free shipping versus $200 is fine in my book as long as it gets the job done.

I'm in the process of deciding whether a Tech2 or a OBDLink MX + ScanXL Pro would be a better purchase. About $250 for the tech2 and I know it does everything versus a $60 solution that may be more limited even with the GM addon installed.

Thoughts?
Depends of what you want to do with it and what the gaps are between the two devices ... I would do a side by side gap analysis and see if you can live with it . While the TECH II is great you are limited to using it on certain GM cars .

In my case I only own one GM car .... even though I am a GM fan , the other cars are two fords , a Nissan and a Mercedes so my OBD reader gets more use ....but the three times I had to really used the TECH II it paid for itself ... I loved having the ablity to read and reset the codes in my C5, I guess GM rethought giving us this ablity as it was lost revenue for them

Wife's AMG just popped a code this week and I had to go back to my trusty old OBD scan tool to read the code and then make the appt. with the dealer for a warranty repair on a gas temp sender .....nice to be able to tell the dealer what is wrong ....

Last edited by Dcasole; 04-18-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:47 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 138 Posts

The knock off Tech II units all use inferior electrons that aren't up to OEM electron specs. They will appear to work fine at first, but over time your electrons will slowly start to leak out (due to the Chinese electrons having a lighter nuclear weight and a slightly smaller diameter), and you'll then be left with hole-flow in your electronics instead of electron-flow, causing many items to either run backwards or fail altogether. The only solution when this happens is to drain all the electrons out, and replace them using a proper GM Tech II.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:09 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CSixDude
The knock off Tech II units all use inferior electrons that aren't up to OEM electron specs. They will appear to work fine at first, but over time your electrons will slowly start to leak out (due to the Chinese electrons having a lighter nuclear weight and a slightly smaller diameter), and you'll then be left with hole-flow in your electronics instead of electron-flow, causing many items to either run backwards or fail altogether. The only solution when this happens is to drain all the electrons out, and replace them using a proper GM Tech II.
Now where did you get your knowledge of KNOCK OFF ELECTRONS from .. Must be the RUSSIANS hacking into our ELECTRON FLOW trying to destroy the superior race ....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Tech 2 scanners