C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Grand Sport rear end wobble

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 05:51 PM
carlos04
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Grand Sport rear end wobble

Have a 2012 GS, 610 RWHP, LG Coil overs, beefed up sway bars and when I accelerate the *** end of the car wobbles around the centerline - basically the *** end weaves back and fourth.

Could it be that torque is causing the car to rotate back and fourth? What is the cure? Are the bolts on the frame working loose and or the tunnel plate not rigid enough to tie the chassis together?

This is driving me nuts as the car did the same thing with the stock suspension - its the main reason I installed the coil overs - thinking i could dampen this out...wrong.

Help
Old 02-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

I would suggest taking it to the dealership, or a certified mechanic to have it checked out.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:10 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Tie rod rod ends?
Old 02-08-2017, 10:42 PM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

>>610 RWHP<< Tire spin?

Mark
Old 02-08-2017, 11:12 PM
Beltfedbob
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carlos04
Have a 2012 GS, 610 RWHP, LG Coil overs, beefed up sway bars and when I accelerate the *** end of the car wobbles around the centerline - basically the *** end weaves back and fourth.

Could it be that torque is causing the car to rotate back and fourth? What is the cure? Are the bolts on the frame working loose and or the tunnel plate not rigid enough to tie the chassis together?

This is driving me nuts as the car did the same thing with the stock suspension - its the main reason I installed the coil overs - thinking i could dampen this out...wrong.

Help
Be willing to bet it's not the suspension. It's most likely the differential. I had the exact same problem in another of my cars and found the traction control would make it go crazy when I went to 600 rwh. Might want to try a Quaife. Fixed all my issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUAIFE-Limit...-/331588532215
Old 02-09-2017, 06:39 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

New tires fixed it for me.

Depends n how bad your "wobble" is.

Matt
Old 02-09-2017, 06:52 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Lotta good things listed above. I'd also incl. the axle nuts to torque specs, and go over every piece of equipment touched, loosened, torqued, etc. And I would not drive it very far---you lose control it will end badly. I'd also suggest someone who knows suspensions, not your average mechanic. Tell us what it was, and the fix. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:57 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Sounds like it may just be the stability control doing its job to keep you from spinning out. My car does this when I light up the tires. There is a YouTube video from GM explaining how the process works.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Lew Shaw
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting! How does it work if you have Traction Control engaged? I would love to be able to nail my GS and have it go in a straight line!!!

Originally Posted by Beltfedbob
Be willing to bet it's not the suspension. It's most likely the differential. I had the exact same problem in another of my cars and found the traction control would make it go crazy when I went to 600 rwh. Might want to try a Quaife. Fixed all my issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUAIFE-Limit...-/331588532215
Old 03-03-2017, 09:18 PM
groran
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a camaro do this once. It ended up being the bearings were shot where the shaft came out of the rear end at the hub. The bearing had cut into rear end frame, had to change whole rear end, hope thats not your case!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:30 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Have you tuned the suspension? Just throwing parts at it is not going to solve any issues. Have you tried/made any/many launches trying different settings on the shocks? What tires are you running? Tried tire pressure vs shock settings? Do you have adjustable end links on these "beefed up" sway bars? What RPM are you launching?

All this come into the equation of "launching" a car...

Old 03-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Dial In Corvette
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are running Michelin Pilot Super Sports remove them and never put a dual compound tire on the back of your corvette again.
Their are threads of many that have had this problem and once the PSS's are removed all is well. I even replaced all the rear suspension on a C6 Z06 for your exact complaint just to figure out the tire was the issue!!

If you are not running this or another dual compound tire then in the immortal words of Gilda Radner "never mind".

Gary
Old 03-04-2017, 08:02 PM
Pinski 1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dial In Corvette
If you are running Michelin Pilot Super Sports remove them and never put a dual compound tire on the back of your corvette again.
Their are threads of many that have had this problem and once the PSS's are removed all is well. I even replaced all the rear suspension on a C6 Z06 for your exact complaint just to figure out the tire was the issue!!

If you are not running this or another dual compound tire then in the immortal words of Gilda Radner "never mind".

Gary
This right here if you are running PSS's ...I had the same problem with my H/C/I ZO6 and spent a lot of time and money
Trying to figure out the problem and the whole time it was the tires! Changed the tires and problem was gone...

Get notified of new replies

To 2012 Grand Sport rear end wobble

Quick Reply: 2012 Grand Sport rear end wobble