C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS vs A&A

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:15 PM
ChrisUlrich
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot Six
I agree. Go Ti-trim from the start and it will take you to the upper limits of what is still streetable and relatively easy to maintain.
That's the idea. I might skip out of meth for now. Meth by itself isn't terrible, but then I don't think I can drive around with any kind of fail safe. That in itself is the cost of adding meth!

So the idea as of right now is...

V3 T Trim, 93 octane. Whatever power I can get safely. Hopefully 650whp.

I've spoken to two very reputable shops about the LS3 bottom end... both say I could hit 650whp on 93 for sure. 675-680 isn't out of the question.

Last edited by ChrisUlrich; 02-15-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:25 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

650 whp is easily attainable with that set up. You can always add meth later. If meth is tuned right, it will have a fail safe built into the tune so that the car pulls timing if no meth is spraying. That way you don't motor on and melt a piston. The way it works with these things, you'll be back looking for a YSI!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:29 PM
ChrisUlrich
Racer

650 whp is easily attainable with that set up. You can always add meth later. If meth is tuned right, it will have a fail safe built into the tune so that the car pulls timing if no meth is spraying. That way you don't motor on and melt a piston. The way it works with these things, you'll be back looking for a YSI!
hahahahaa I'm not sure i'd go bigger supercharger. I want a turbo car! But turbos for the C6 is like a bajillion dollar install!
Old 02-16-2017, 02:18 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan70
I'm making 700RW on a stock LS3 running 11.5psi. We upgraded the valvesprings, pushrods and rocker trunnions when I went to the 3.4" pulley, but otherwise it's stock cam and doesn't even have LTs (just LS7 manifolds).
Curious why you upgraded the springs and stuff, but not a cam, even an LS9 cam?

I'm at 666RW with an A&A si 3.6", meth, full Z06/ZR1 pipes, and thinking dropping to 3.4, doing a flex fuel kit...and maybe a mild cam. I like my car sleeper/streetable/smogable, so don't want a big lopey cam. I do like the idea of stouter springs regardless.

BTW this belongs in FI subsection.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:54 PM
ChrisUlrich
Racer

Forgot to come back to the thread!

Went with an A&A kit! V3 Ti along with the AEM Wideband Fail Safe Gauge! Measures AFR and boost. They can also program it to stop my pull if my fuel pressure isn't where it needs to be to save my motor. It should be going in within a month.

Last edited by ChrisUlrich; 02-23-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:57 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Good call. Running the same blower and love it. Keep us posted on your results.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:01 PM
ChrisUlrich
Racer

Good call. Running the same blower and love it. Keep us posted on your results.
Thank you!

Can you tell me a bit more about your setup? Pros? Cons? Power levels?

I love talking about it. hahahaha I'm so freakin pumped!
Old 02-23-2017, 07:12 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

I've got a forged motor with 10:1 compression CP pistons, ARH headers with no cats, mild blower cam, Alky Control meth, with a 3.4 pulley that makes 750whp on a stingy Mustang Dyno at 11psi. The A&A kit is really well made and has excellent belt wrap. The install is very clean and drives like stock until you step on it. I really can't see any cons to the A&A kit.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:19 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,194 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Curious why you upgraded the springs and stuff, but not a cam, even an LS9 cam?

I'm at 666RW with an A&A si 3.6", meth, full Z06/ZR1 pipes, and thinking dropping to 3.4, doing a flex fuel kit...and maybe a mild cam. I like my car sleeper/streetable/smogable, so don't want a big lopey cam. I do like the idea of stouter springs regardless.

BTW this belongs in FI subsection.
Well I originally thought just the basic blower kit would be enough (600RWHP), and it was ... for about 1 year. Then did the 3.6 pulley and meth (670RWHP) and thought that would be enough ... which it was for about another year. Which led to the 3.4 pulley, at which point my tuner said he really would feel better if I upgraded springs. Yes, I'm sure I'm giving up power with the LS7 manifolds and stock LS3 cam, but honestly I've got more power than I can use now. If I upgrade anything else, it'll be to a good standalone with better traction control.

I like that the car is still stock cam and drives like stock when I'm not on it. Makes it very nice to drive on trips, and my wife doesn't mind riding in it at all if I want to take it out for date night. I've driven halfway across the country and it's just like driving it when it was stock. Of course if I want to play, all I have to do is give it some throttle...
Old 02-23-2017, 07:30 PM
ChrisUlrich
Racer

I've got a forged motor with 10:1 compression CP pistons, ARH headers with no cats, mild blower cam, Alky Control meth, with a 3.4 pulley that makes 750whp on a stingy Mustang Dyno at 11psi. The A&A kit is really well made and has excellent belt wrap. The install is very clean and drives like stock until you step on it. I really can't see any cons to the A&A kit.
That's CRAZY! 11psi and 750whp on a Mustang Dyno?! That's like 800whp on a dynojet! That's gotta be good for 142+mph traps!! That's FLYING!

I think about that too. A mild short block build. Nothing fancy or crazy. Something to spin the motor to 7200ish rpm and handle 900whp no problem. Then get one of those modules that stores tunes. Have a 600whp tune, 700whp tune, etc... hahaha

Does the car build any part throttle boost? I heard they don't. So it's gotta be night and day from driving around town and then laying into it.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:32 PM
ChrisUlrich
Racer

Well I originally thought just the basic blower kit would be enough (600RWHP), and it was ... for about 1 year. Then did the 3.6 pulley and meth (670RWHP) and thought that would be enough ... which it was for about another year. Which led to the 3.4 pulley, at which point my tuner said he really would feel better if I upgraded springs. Yes, I'm sure I'm giving up power with the LS7 manifolds and stock LS3 cam, but honestly I've got more power than I can use now. If I upgrade anything else, it'll be to a good standalone with better traction control.

I like that the car is still stock cam and drives like stock when I'm not on it. Makes it very nice to drive on trips, and my wife doesn't mind riding in it at all if I want to take it out for date night. I've driven halfway across the country and it's just like driving it when it was stock. Of course if I want to play, all I have to do is give it some throttle...

What did you make with the 3.4 pulley and meth?

So you have LS7 manifolds, LS9 cam, CAI, 3.4 pulley with which supercharger? You're making how much power?!

You must get awesome mpg too when cruising!
Old 02-23-2017, 07:42 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
That's CRAZY! 11psi and 750whp on a Mustang Dyno?! That's like 800whp on a dynojet! That's gotta be good for 142+mph traps!! That's FLYING!

I think about that too. A mild short block build. Nothing fancy or crazy. Something to spin the motor to 7200ish rpm and handle 900whp no problem. Then get one of those modules that stores tunes. Have a 600whp tune, 700whp tune, etc... hahaha

Does the car build any part throttle boost? I heard they don't. So it's gotta be night and day from driving around town and then laying into it.
I don't run a boost gauge to monitor part throttle boost. With a centri sc it will make boost with rpms so don't know why you wouldn't go WOT.

I wouldn't look to make more than 800-850whp. which is about where a Ti trim will max out, especially if running e85. Pushing a C6 past that gets expensive to maintain and will be much more difficult getting any traction on the street. Also, you'll likely need a YSI to reach that power level. You also won't need to spin the motor that hard to make power. I make peak power around 6600, but it stays steady to about 7k.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:51 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

What did you make with the 3.4 pulley and meth?

So you have LS7 manifolds, LS9 cam, CAI, 3.4 pulley with which supercharger? You're making how much power?!

You must get awesome mpg too when cruising!
LS7 manifolds, gutted cats, stock LS3 cam. Really only change to motor is upgraded springs, pushrods and rocker trunnions. Haven't redynoed but ran a buddy that dynoed a little over 700RW and we were dead even. Blower is A&A V3 Si with 3.4 pulley and dual nozzle Alky control kit. MPG is similar to stock when cruising.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

LS7 manifolds, gutted cats, stock LS3 cam. Really only change to motor is upgraded springs, pushrods and rocker trunnions. Haven't redynoed but ran a buddy that dynoed a little over 700RW and we were dead even. Blower is A&A V3 Si with 3.4 pulley and dual nozzle Alky control kit. MPG is similar to stock when cruising.
Nice! We're pretty close build wise (though I haven't gutted cats on my Z06 setup) so we should be in the same ballpark power wise. I'm LS2 but have a cam.

Though I don't have Bret tuning mine so maybe you've got me beat a little more

Last edited by schpenxel; 02-24-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:06 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Though I don't have Bret tuning mine so maybe you've got me beat a little more
That does seem to make a difference. Bret is THE MAN when it comes to forced induction tuning!
Old 02-24-2017, 01:30 PM
ChrisUlrich
Racer

I don't run a boost gauge to monitor part throttle boost. With a centri sc it will make boost with rpms so don't know why you wouldn't go WOT.

I wouldn't look to make more than 800-850whp. which is about where a Ti trim will max out, especially if running e85. Pushing a C6 past that gets expensive to maintain and will be much more difficult getting any traction on the street. Also, you'll likely need a YSI to reach that power level. You also won't need to spin the motor that hard to make power. I make peak power around 6600, but it stays steady to about 7k.
I meant just for driving around town. When you're getting up to speed, passing someone, etc...

Just wondering if it's all or not. Because I imagine going from 0 boost to lots of boost just by going WOT is crazy difference!

All this talk about these setups is killing me! Only shooting for 680 or so on 93 though.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:44 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

I'd go even further and say for a C6 that will primarily be for street use, I wouldn't go that far. 600-650RWHP is about all I'd want.

Because I imagine going from 0 boost to lots of boost just by going WOT is crazy difference!
Yes, it is.

Get notified of new replies

To ECS vs A&A

Old 02-24-2017, 04:59 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

I meant just for driving around town. When you're getting up to speed, passing someone, etc...

Just wondering if it's all or not. Because I imagine going from 0 boost to lots of boost just by going WOT is crazy difference!

All this talk about these setups is killing me! Only shooting for 680 or so on 93 though.
Boost will be modulated by your right foot. Easing into the throttle will make less boost and more traction.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:22 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Boost will be modulated by your right foot. Easing into the throttle will make less boost and more traction.

When my car was at 600RW (pre meth with 3.8 pulley), I could hammer it to WOT and be ok. Once I dropped to the 3.6 and added meth, I could no longer do that for two reasons: 1) the loss of traction 2) I went through meth way too freaking fast
I actually miss that configuration a lot, if I wasn't doing 1/2 mile & mile events, I'd probably go back to it as it was more fun for street use.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:44 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

I have the same sickness as you do!

Car with nothing but basic blower kit was perfect for the street. Like you,I wanted to do racing events and had to turn it up.

Quick Reply: ECS vs A&A