C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 vs Camaro SS

Old 02-18-2017, 07:40 PM
chadcf
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 vs Camaro SS

Ok this is subjective but... I've never driven a corvette, but am considering a 2008+ C6. Unfortunately I live in a small city and there are zero of those for sale locally that I can find, so it's not like I can pop out and drive one.

I did, however, go out yesterday and try out a 2017 Camaro SS and really loved it. Almost. I loved the way it drove, good power, handling and steering was phenomenal, drove like a dream with prodigious grip.

Problem is, I don't really like the style (it's not ugly, just not my style) and that's really pushing it on budget for a 2SS model fully loaded with magnetic ride control.

So, subjectively, has anyone happened to drive one and could compare / contrast it to a C6? The SS had magnetic ride control and I thought it was a great setup for being both comfortable and flat in the corners. Steering feel was also amazing. Would a C6 with MRC feel similar? Or has that tech progressed in the last decade? How about grip and handling? I know steering feel was improved in 2008 but no idea how it compares to the C6.

Overall I'd say I loved the Camaro but would prefer to get that level of performance in a cheaper better looking package... But without any locally to check out I'm not sure if a C6 gets me there or not...
Old 02-19-2017, 11:23 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Truthfully, even if its hard to accomplish you need to drive a C-6 for the comparison, no one but your self can describe the differences between the 2 cars. Me, I like both but settled for my GS
If you budget can go there I would suggest a GS car also, wide bodies are very popular
NSF
Old 02-19-2017, 11:29 AM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Do you ride bicycles? if so Camaro is like a Schwinn Steel frame bike.. and a C6 GS is like a fine tuned Carbon fiber road bike.
The following 3 users liked this post by C6 Snowboarder:
Biggie G (02-21-2017), jdvann (02-19-2017), Torchsport (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 11:35 AM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

At the price of the 2017 SS you are getting in to the 2014 C7 range, low mile versions of those in Z51 are in the low to mid $40's. Drive a many as you can...good luck!
Old 02-19-2017, 11:35 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

You can get a lot of corvette in a used low miler for the money you'll pay with a new SS and like others have said, go out and try one on for size, I think you'll change your mind...
Old 02-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

In this forum you can expect only one answer......
The following users liked this post:
Biggie G (02-21-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Truthfully, even if its hard to accomplish you need to drive a C-6 for the comparison, no one but your self can describe the differences between the 2 cars. Me, I like both but settled for my GS
If you budget can go there I would suggest a GS car also, wide bodies are very popular
NSF
I own both a C6 and 2013 Camaro SS, I've also driven the Gen6 SS; people ask me all the time which I like better and why. All I can say is they are two totally different driving experiences and, if I had to choose one over the other, I'd take the C6 every time. IMO, although the new Gen6 is blurring the line even more, the SS is still a muscle/pony car where as the C6 is a sports car and out handles/performs the SS, especially when it comes to cornering and taking the curves. Beyond that, you have to drive both to fully understand and appreciate the differences ... and you can't go wrong with which ever one you feel 'fits you' better.

Last edited by Welker1; 02-19-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:12 PM
chadcf
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Well I'm not really asking which is better Just hoping someone can kinda compare / contrast.

I don't know how many people here have actually driven the new 2016+ Alpha chassis Camaro SS either, I wouldn't even be asking about the last gen one because no doubt the camaro would blow it out of the water. But the new one is, shocking, amazingly good. I couldn't believe it. Obviously the Corvette is top dog but when you're comparing the latest and greatest of the step down model against the last generation of the top dog, it could go either way...

Also I do realize for what the new SS costs I could get a used C7. However I find the C6 more appealing because I really don't want to spend SS kind of money anyway. I could, but I'd be much happier with an already depreciated $25k car. One of the biggest appeals of the corvette is that I can find a great car cheaper, whereas the Camaro is so new that there are almost no used ones to pick from (save for the last generation, but the last generation was nowhere near as good as the current one).
Old 02-19-2017, 12:13 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Eh, I don't know on that one, after reading about the 2017 Camaro ZL1 I'm pretty impressed, but then the Z06 comes to mind, or the fabnastic new Grand Sport, what a machine
That's where I would head, if I could afford it
NSF
Old 02-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Durien512
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I think you can get a lot for your $ in the C6 market today... But its really whatever you like best IMO.
Biggie G (02-21-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:41 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Two totally different animals. We can debate the differences and which one to get all day, but the bottom line is our opinions are subjective and everyone can get a different take on which to choose. The only way to know for sure is to check out both and decide for yourself. If budget is a factor, I would say go for the C6. You can get great bang for your buck with a C6, and then if you change your mind down the road you can trade or sell it to get a used SS in a year or two. You could end up owning both, just not at the same time. Good luck with choosing.

I know what you mean about the Camaros looks though. I'm sure it's fun to drive and I do like muscle cars, but I do feel like they lack the Wow Factor in looks. And the fact that I see Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers everywhere doesn't help me want one more. Speed bumps, and having to avoid them, does. Muscle car vs. sports car and which to choose? Both have their pros and cons but as far as problems go, this is a good one to have.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:57 PM
chadcf
5th Gear

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Two totally different animals.
Everybody says that but, like how are they different? There is not a single C6 manual for sale within 100 miles so I'm going to have to make a serious effort to seek one out.

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
You can get great bang for your buck with a C6, and then if you change your mind down the road you can trade or sell it to get a used SS in a year or two. You could end up owning both, just not at the same time.
That's my other thought. WIth a car like this (secondary weekend fun car) I'm reluctant to spend a ton of money because I'd like something I can swap out of easily if the mood strikes me. In a few years a Camaro SS or C7 would be down in price and I could swap to it without taking a bath selling a C6 I bought fairly cheap. Whereas, a new Camaro in 2 years would be worth $10k - $15k less than I paid for it which is a big hit to take getting rid of it.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:09 PM
FairfieldVette
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't driven the 2017 SS, but I've driven the 2016. The biggest difference is that the SS feels like a much bigger, heavier car. That extra bulk blunts the experience for me. The C6 is far more nimble, the body feels stiffer and lower, all that glass makes it feel more airy and alive. You'll be astonished how much more in-touch you are with the vehicle dynamics. There's your difference... Rapier vs broadsword.

And as an added bonus, it has the removable roof that your girl is gonna really like in the summer!
GMC262 (10-18-2021)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:14 PM
chadcf
5th Gear

Originally Posted by FairfieldVette
I haven't driven the 2017 SS, but I've driven the 2016. The biggest difference is that the SS feels like a much bigger, heavier car. That extra bulk blunts the experience for me. The C6 is far more nimble, the body feels stiffer and lower, all that glass makes it feel more airy and alive. You'll be astonished how much more in-touch you are with the vehicle dynamics. There's your difference... Rapier vs broadsword.

And as an added bonus, it has the removable roof that your girl is gonna really like in the summer!
Ok thanks! That is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I thought the SS didn't really drive like a big car, but it didn't feel small either. I was shocked to look up dimensions and see how much smaller the corvette is. And yeah the cockpit in the SS is ridiculous, I could get used to it but you definitely need the blind spot monitoring and backup camera in that car. I also had to crane my neck down at one point to see a stoplight.

If the C6 drives like a lighter more nimble SS with better outward visibility that sounds right up my alley.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:19 PM
ocboy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chadcf
That's my other thought. WIth a car like this (secondary weekend fun car) I'm reluctant to spend a ton of money because I'd like something I can swap out of easily if the mood strikes me. In a few years a Camaro SS or C7 would be down in price and I could swap to it without taking a bath selling a C6 I bought fairly cheap. Whereas, a new Camaro in 2 years would be worth $10k - $15k less than I paid for it which is a big hit to take getting rid of it.
Sounds like you already figured out which one to get.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:22 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

If you don't want to spend the $40K+ that a 2SS Camaro would cost, then the decision has already been made, no? You're smart to buy a used car and let the other poor bastard eat the first year depreciation. Drive a C6. You'll like it.

Last edited by RagTop69; 02-19-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:11 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I just traded a 2009 Z51 coupe for a 2017 2SS Camaro. I was just ready for a new toy but wasn't ready to spend the extra 20 grand for a new Corvette GS. The only thing that I did not like about my Corvettes(also had a 2005) was the ride over bridge joints. Neither one of those cars had Mag Ride. The combination of the Z51 suspension and the runflats was entirely to hard for me. I just got out of the break in period for the Camaro and so far I'm really liking the mag ride and I'd bet it would be fantastic in a GS Corvette.
The rear seat in the Camaro is useless(I knew this going in) and the trunk with the rear seat up isn't much better. I like the layout of the inside of the Corvette much better. I think there is actually more storage space in the Vette. I can't speak to performance stuff as I'm an old guy who just cruises around, both seem plenty powerful to me. Brake dust is the same, BAD!!. I'm looking at ceramic pads as I type. Hope this helps and doesn't further confuse you, ce
The following 2 users liked this post by crazyeddie:
GMC262 (10-18-2021), Not So Fast (02-19-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To C6 vs Camaro SS

Old 02-19-2017, 11:28 PM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

I was at the chevy dealer looking at a new Camaro SS also! Salesman saw me eyeing the vettes on the showroom floor and said we just had a trade in you might be interested in! Told me about a 08 Vette Indy pace car repleca that was bought new at that dealership and traded in the day before!! Wife gave me the thumbs up to look! Car only had 1500 miles on it and was way cheaper than a new SS. SO first Vette for me and I am happy happy happy!! Have owned several SS's in the past and NONE compare to the Vette!!
Old 02-20-2017, 12:45 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Hop on a plane and fly to the big city then head to a Chevy dealer if you want to compare/contrast both vehicles.

At my local Chevy dealer, they park all the used Vettes and Camaro's up against the building, under the overhang roof. They had seven C6 & C7 Vettes, and about the same number Camaro's. They would let you test drive any of the vehicles so you can see which one you like best. You aren't going to get that by asking us on a forum which one we like. If you are going to spend $40,000 for a vehicle, it's money well spent to spend $300 on a plane ticket to find out what you like.
zzjakect (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:04 PM
GSTexas
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just sold a 2010 Camaro SS with 26k miles I bought new to get my 2011 Grand sport. IMO there is no comparison in the ride. The camaro, for me, was one of if not the best riding vehicle that I've ever owned. So much so I almost kept it. Very comfortable, handled fantastic and just fit like a glove. Performance wise its no contest. The vette is so much more than the camaro on that level. I have a C5 as well and would take that all day long over the camaro . Its all about personal choice I guess. I miss the ride of my Camaro but after buying my C6 you'll never pry it from my hands. I'll never regret owning it and would buy another SS in a heartbeat but you really need to drive both and find out what your preferences are.
Attached Images   
Rozarioagro (02-08-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 vs Camaro SS