C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade my '13 GS for a '17 Chevrolet SS sedan ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:00 AM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by revilingfool
I daily a STi so figured I would chime in on this.

All season tires are fricken AWESOME on this car. They identify with the purpose of AWD, to go anywhere and do anything. I run Conti DWS06 and have had them in over a foot of snow, torrential downpours at 80 on the freeway, gravel/dirt roads and highly recommend them for grip, not in the racecar pulling 1g sense though.

I sell the SS, and while I appreciate the car, it is kind of the ungly duckling of the bunch though. It looks subtle, weighs 4000 lbs, and doesnt have the updated my link that came out in 16.

Pretty fast car, but I think you will be overall more happy in a V, or V-sport. Consider those options too before going all in on the SS. The new digital dash's are great.
Thanks. We put those same DWS06's on my wife's rwd BMW 3 series convertible when the OEM runflats wore out - incredible tires, even with only RWD and the traction control system. Wet performance is unreal. Quiet and smooth compared to the runflats. Wish they made them for the GS.

I like the STI but read they might change to a newer design motor, based on the newer WRX model.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:10 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by csf
Thanks. We put those same DWS06's on my wife's rwd BMW 3 series convertible when the OEM runflats wore out - incredible tires, even with only RWD and the traction control system. Wet performance is unreal. Quiet and smooth compared to the runflats. Wish they made them for the GS.

I like the STI but read they might change to a newer design motor, based on the newer WRX model.
I just traded my STI yesterday, loved the car, love the C6 I bought more.

The current STI is fantastic if you like turbo cars. It punishes you for picking the wrong gear but is a screamer when it's right. Incredibly surefooted, comfortable (I mean, kinda. It's no bentley), but bad on gas.

The EJ engine has a lot of character, the new FA engine has less. The new FA is less reliable, but more efficient. I doubt a new engine will come out for the STI any time soon, maybe 2020. It doesn't need it. The only people who think it does are uninformed journalists and people who bought a WRX cuz the zsTI was too expensive.

FWIW, the WRX and STI cost a ton to insure. Mine went down 50 a month with the C6.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:51 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Why does it "occasionally put 572 rwhp to the ground? and only goes 11.90 in the 1/4 mile? Why doesn't it put that to the ground all the time?
it always puts 572 rwhp to the ground.it runs 11.80 to 11.90 in the wet and rain.try yours in the rain and report back on E.T. you are able to run
Old 02-22-2017, 07:49 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

^so what mod's you got big chief? Procharger with full B/O's? You got meth on board? I would guess not or your rear wheel HP I would think would be higher. 1/4 mile passes in the rain puts you in a rare air category sir. Especially on those cold canadian nights.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:30 AM
irok
Safety Car

Originally Posted by raspyc6
^so what mod's you got big chief? Procharger with full B/O's? You got meth on board? I would guess not or your rear wheel HP I would think would be higher. 1/4 mile passes in the rain puts you in a rare air category sir. Especially on those cold canadian nights.
come to race the runway in Smith Falls and find out
Old 02-23-2017, 08:55 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by csf
... But I just want to be able to drive my Corvette all year long.

but based on some of the comments I'm thinking I'll probably keep the GS, especially if its true some all season tires are becoming available.
Move to a warmer state so you can drive it year round. Lol

They have been saying all season tires for the GS & Z06 are coming for years. Believe it when you see them.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:00 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

^that would be a great race, eh? I have my full b/o C6 ready to go, new tune like 2 months ago. I gotta find a trailer to get her there and I am gonna pull her with my brand new 2016 Acadia. ALL I have to do is call work and tell them I am not coming in, feeling a little manic and wanna drive to Canada to put a beatdown on an internet callout. See if I asked "whatcha got" I would be very forthright and honest on down to the last detail of my car but I understand raising the shroud of mystery. Is it a procharger and MAYBE a blower cam....or no big turbo...$hit, 2 of them I bet. Is he spraying or is there methanol on board (dude...do NOT drink that cause you'll go blind) and then I thought...damn...he has a corn tune and has an E85 setup. I hope the track is prepped for my beer can Vette cause these Conti Extreme Contacts are becoming weaksauce.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:26 AM
irok
Safety Car

Originally Posted by raspyc6
^that would be a great race, eh? I have my full b/o C6 ready to go, new tune like 2 months ago. I gotta find a trailer to get her there and I am gonna pull her with my brand new 2016 Acadia. ALL I have to do is call work and tell them I am not coming in, feeling a little manic and wanna drive to Canada to put a beatdown on an internet callout. See if I asked "whatcha got" I would be very forthright and honest on down to the last detail of my car but I understand raising the shroud of mystery. Is it a procharger and MAYBE a blower cam....or no big turbo...$hit, 2 of them I bet. Is he spraying or is there methanol on board (dude...do NOT drink that cause you'll go blind) and then I thought...damn...he has a corn tune and has an E85 setup. I hope the track is prepped for my beer can Vette cause these Conti Extreme Contacts are becoming weaksauce.
no corn,no meth,no cam,no trailer just 4350 lb D1 grocery getter and impossible to prep runway in the rain.mix your meth with Coca Cola and you should be okay

Last edited by irok; 02-24-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:06 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
FWIW, the WRX and STI cost a ton to insure. Mine went down 50 a month with the C6.
It's all about the demographics of the buyers and the claims history because of that. STI is a "kid's" car; Corvette is a grandpa's car.

I very briefly considered one before I bought my current CE GS; I knew I wouldn't be happy long term with one so the CE GS came along and I'm set for quite some time now.

I understand the attraction of the SS; if I was going to do a 4-door sedan it would have to be a gen-2 or gen-3 CTS-V. I could be happy long term with either of those. You can get some pretty good deals on the gen-2's.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:36 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

My 2016 wrx was about the same as my corvette to insure.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:20 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Trading in a GS for an SS sedan is a terrible idea if you don't need a backseat for kids....

Quick Reply: Trade my '13 GS for a '17 Chevrolet SS sedan ?